• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PecanPi - Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
So is your RPi any different than the typical RPi? I'm trying to see what advantage of your Streamer is to say the Allo USBridge which is less expensive.

The difference is that my streamer comes with the DAC built in. The Rpi is a standard model 3B or 3B+ if you upgrade.

With the Allo USBridge you will still need to purchase a DAC separately. If you include the cost of the stand alone DAC that has same performance specs as PecanPi than your price will be much higher.

Last edited:

Samoyed

You can attack mqa as you wish, but it’s still a deal breaker for me.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I know, it really sucks having to give up to all that amazing collection of dozens of available MQA albums!
There are thousands of MQA albums available for streaming.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The difference is that my streamer comes with the DAC built in. The Rpi is a standard model 3B or 3B+ if you upgrade.

With the Allo USBridge you will still need to purchase a DAC separately. If you include the cost of the stand alone DAC that has same performance specs as PecanPi than your price will be much higher.
I understand that. I'm just saying if not wanting to use your dac, then the Allo seems as it's a better financial decision. This is unless your streamer has an advantage which is what I"m attempting to figure out.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I'm just saying if not wanting to use your dac, then the Allo seems as it's a better financial decision. This is unless your streamer has an advantage which is what I"m attempting to figure out.

Allo's stuff does not have built in headphone amplifier.

Also their highest end model only gets to 115dB dynamic range (Amir has this posted elsewhere) vs 125 for the PecanPi.

Non of Allo's products offer dual DAC chipset implementations, with true balanced dual differential circuits.

PecanPi comes with power supply that also powers the Rpi. With other products you need to purchase multiple power supplies.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

As someone who is tech savvy in many areas but not when regarding Raspberry Pi, can you explain the benefits of the 3B+?

Hemi-Demon

As someone who is tech savvy in many areas but not when regarding Raspberry Pi, can you explain the benefits of the 3B+?

I'm intrigued on this question also.

Please explain the need for a preconfigured wifi on the streamer? Isn't that rather dangerous to send, or email a home SSID AND password? Is it that difficult to set up a wifi connection through this type of device? Also can you stack the DAC and Streamer into one aluminum chasis? At $500 MSRP, you might want to consider MQA in the streamer (no shots, just suggestions), then again maybe more people will migrate to qobuz for HiRes streaming

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I dont want this to become an MQA discussion. Please start another thread to discuss MQA.

Please keep this thread related to PecanPi feedback / discussion.

Please consider this thread is in the open forums where it should actually be in the 'desperate dealers' section, as you are, after all, soliciting for buyers aren't you?

It should be moved.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
As someone who is tech savvy in many areas but not when regardi
The number one big difference is improved wifi performance. 3B+ also has faster processor.

Screenshot_20190311-075051_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Please explain the need for a preconfigured wifi on the streamer? Isn't that rather dangerous to send, or email a home SSID AND password? Is it that difficult to set up a wifi connection through this type of device?

The device has no screen so you have to plug it into ethernet, access it through the web interface and then change the wifi settings.

For some people that is too technically difficult, that is why the pre-configued wifi option. This is beneficial for somebody who just wants something they can plug in and go, no setup needed.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Whenever I have to email confidential info I send it in an encrypted ZIP file and send the password by another means, at worst in another email and at best via fax, phone, or text so a completely independent path.

Will the streamer act like a USB controller (not the right word, I am an analog guy) to drive my pre/pro? It can take an input USB stream from another computer but not a stand-alone USB drive, for example.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Will the streamer act like a USB controller (not the right word, I am an analog guy) to drive my pre/pro? It can take an input USB stream from another computer but not a stand-alone USB drive, for example.

If you install Volumio on it than you can use it as Roon bridge. You can also plug in USB drive and Volumio will play the music from it but you have to have so called UPnP controller on some other device (phone/tablet/computer) or you can access Volumio via http interface from yur web browser.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Do you mean stereo-only via GPIO pins or under all circumstances? I understood that they could handle more channels via USB & HDMI, but I've still never used one.
Yes on the GPIO pins, the I2S bus is setup to only do stereo.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
If you install Volumio on it than you can use it as Roon bridge. You can also plug in USB drive and Volumio will play the music from it but you have to have so called UPnP controller on some other device (phone/tablet/computer) or you can access Volumio via http interface from yur web browser.

I dont think this what @DonH56 was asking. I think he wants to use the streamer as a USB DAC which will not work.

Also you can use the streamer as a very high performance replacement for the squeeze Box touch.

Top Bottom