• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Example Speaker Measurements: Klipsch RP-600M/Neumann KH 150 (video)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As promised, here is a follow up to my speaker measurement video with examples of a great and not so great speaker:

A personal note: as you all know, I don't allow advertising in my videos, nor do I pester people to subscribe, give likes, etc. in the video. Alas, it seems some out there are keeping score on popularity of my content as proof point of whether their audio videos are more correct than mine. So let's even the playground and subscribe to my channel if you have not before. Click on this link to go to my youtube channel (youtube.com/@audiosciencereview) and do that. Appreciate it in advance.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Subscribed as well. Was hoping this video gave us a sneak peek at measurements for the KH120 II, but alas.

estuardo4

Thank you. I subscribed since the first video you posted. And I share links to your videos to several friends. These videos are awesome. Keep them ongoing please.

As a side note, yesterday I was at a Neumann immersive demonstration at a local expo. I ask the expert panel why they use Neumann speakers for this presentation, because Neumann speakers has a laser focus directivity, and for immersive sound, you don't need 13 beams of sound pointed to your ears. And alas, the music they presented sounded awful to my ears. The panel wasn't happy with my remarks, but they were paid by Neumann, so they said I was full of it. Sight.

khensu

I just finished your previous video this morning! It was great, btw. Very helpful for making more sense out of all those graphs. Thank you!

MabeHall

As promised, here is a follow up to my speaker measurement video with examples of a great and not so great speaker:

A personal note: as you all know, I don't allow advertising in my videos, nor do I pester people to subscribe, give likes, etc. in the video. Alas, it seems some out there are keeping score on popularity of my content as proof point of whether their audio videos are more correct than mine. So let's even the playground and subscribe to my channel if you have not before. Click on this link to go to my youtube channel (youtube.com/@audiosciencereview) and do that. Appreciate it in advance.

Amir, the analysis of the RP 600 reminded me of a question I’ve been intending to ask. What do you think of the Audyssey ”midrange compensation“ adjustment? From what I have read and seen, they recommend this 3-4 db dip around 2k hz (crossover) saying many manufacturers design this in to compensate for directivity issues.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Subscribed as well. Was hoping this video gave us a sneak peek at measurements for the KH120 II, but alas.
I have requested that and Neumann is kindly arranging a sample to be sent. :) They have just started production....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, the analysis of the RP 600 reminded me of a question I’ve been intending to ask. What do you think of the Audyssey ”midrange compensation“ adjustment? From what I have read and seen, they recommend this 3-4 db dip around 2k hz (crossover) saying many manufacturers design this in to compensate for directivity issues.
It is a terrible idea. The idea came from Tom Holaman as a result of some speakers he had seen which he thought needs this correction. I always defeat that dip as otherwise the sound can be dull.

Andysu

Major Contributor
It is a terrible idea. The idea came from Tom Holaman as a result of some speakers he had seen which he thought needs this correction. I always defeat that dip as otherwise the sound can be dull.
who heck is Tom Holaman , you mean Tomlison Holman THX . one of us here has been drinking while listening :p

i like frequency calculators https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/sound-wavelength
Screenshot 2023-04-26 03.38.01.png

JSmith

Master Contributor
do repeat test outdoors Amirm repeat this test outdoors and speaker placed up high away from the ground with microphone
That is not practical though... you may need to do some reading on how the Klippel NFS works Andy. :cool:

JSmith

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As you were, yet again, explaining the Klippel system around 5:30 in you mention floor and ceiling bounce are general parameters for calculating. What does Klippel consider an average? 8'-10' ceilings? I suppose side wall reflections are estimates as well for many rooms but considering how many 2-way designs are deficient in vertical dispersion it would be interesting, and for some owners really pertinent, to know Klippel's parameters.

Endibol

Forum Donor

@amirm Thanks for yet again another interesting tutorial.
You mention in this episode "near field" and "far field". Could you please elaborate a bit more on what these concepts mean and why it is important to distinguish between the two?
Thank you.

charleski

Major Contributor
So let's even the playground and subscribe to my channel if you have not before.
And click the ‘notify’ button (the bell). Channels that like to get irritating about subscribing always seem to mention that too, so I suppose it’s used in YT’s metrics.

The worst I found was one channel with a cutesy animated cartoon hand that kept pointing at the subscribe button. Aaargh!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Great that you talked about the "automated tube eq" at the impedance maximas of the speaker. Not all know this.

Top Bottom