• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EVGA is taking on Creative and ASUS with a PCIe sound card

Veri

Master Contributor
They constantly tease me because I have a stack of games I have bought and never loaded on my PC. Just never seem to have the time...
You just reminded my about my stack of my own :( ohh to be young and free of responsibilities again.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Well, they've both graduated college and are working now, but do not have families and their jobs have not been quite so demanding (yet). The time I spend practicing they spend playing games, but mostly I am just too stinkin' tired to focus on a game at night. All I can do to get in a little practice time and watch the boob tube a bit to double check the world hasn't been annihilated so I still have to get back to work in the morning.

Speaking of which...

n2it

Gamers, like audiophiles, are interested in getting great performance (great value is important too), and many will way pay more to get that last bit of performance. In that way, I see that the market to gamers is very similar to the market to audiophiles (and like minded to this site that is focused on measurable performance). If it it comes in around $250 - and its performance matches its specs and promise - it seems to me it would be a pretty inexpensive way to get great sound - the same as the current lot of the USB DAC/AMPs that are reviewed here.

For my gaming PC on even a mid end motherboard onboard sound is very good these days for gaming, I don't use them for music.

While motherboard sound has come a long way, I try to get the best sound no matter what I am doing. Also, I'd much rather have components than having to rely upon a motherboard manufacturer to embed the features and quality that I want. I currently use a separate DAC/AMP currently when gaming - same as when listening to music. Also, I don't see this as just a gaming product, especially if we find it performs well.

Advantage of native PCI(E) for audio is low latency, not high bandwidth.
http://www.dawbench.com/audio-int-lowlatency3.htm

If you choose "Ultra low latency" in this interface finder, all USB interfaces will be excluded.
http://compare.focusrite.com/

Some gamers are obsessed with low latency and believe PS/2 mouse and keyboard are better for example.
I don't think lower latency is really the driver - especially given the design of the card. It is really just a USB DAC on a PCIe x1 card. That is: PCIe --> USB --> DAC.

PCIe can supply at least 75 watts, so more than enough for this thing. It's just lazy/cheap design
I would say it is a better design. This allows them to control the power for the amps as well as well as just avoid any unclean power from the PCIe bus. I think this feature does mean something to gamers as they understand the benefits of clean power (e.g. in overclocking the CPU - and companies like EVGA put a lot of engineering into providing this type of power).

The one way that I think they are missing that mark on this this card (for gamers) is not supporting more advanced sound features like Dolby Atmos (and a way to connect with a Dolby Atmos processor).

Veri

Master Contributor
Gamers, like audiophiles, are interested in getting great performance (great value is important too), and many will way pay more to get that last bit of performance. In that way, I see that the market to gamers is very similar to the market to audiophiles (and like minded to this site that is focused on measurable performance). If it it comes in around $250 - and its performance matches its specs and promise - it seems to me it would be a pretty inexpensive way to get great sound - the same as the current lot of the USB DAC/AMPs that are reviewed here.

This is why they're missing the mark, I think. Stuffing a USB DAC+amp in a PCIe interface makes little sense with the latest proliferation of USB all-in-one devices, some of which did extremely well here on ASR. Time will tell if the Gamer LEDs will save this thing's ass :D

Last edited:
OP
Timbo2

Timbo2

Time will tell if the Gamer LEDs will save this thing's ass :D

I have to resist the urge to turn all the LEDs on my motherboard and video card to rotate among the most clashing colors possible. And naturally I want them to blink in the most obnoxious way possible since I have a closed case. I'm not a fan of the trend.

However, for an old guy like me I HAVE actually found a use for them. I turn them on to white or as close as possible. It makes working on the PC much easier - you can see that fans are spinning and cables and motherboard connections are still connected and where they go. Easier than pulling the flashlight out when I'm trying to diagnose a problem.

bennetng

Major Contributor
I have to resist the urge to turn all the LEDs on my motherboard and video card to rotate among the most clashing colors possible.
Those LEDs create a lot of glare so I also ordered this glasses.
https://www.esseyepro.com/CDI-Polarized_281_detail.html
products_281_large.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
Just realised. The headphone (op)amp used is the OP275. I remember nvawguy saying, quote:
"OP275 – The Analog Devices OP275 part is another part Doug Self rated a solid FAIL. His summary: “it is probably best avoided.”"

I suppose you're kinda supposed to swap it with something actually good, adding to the cost....

Also. On amazon, first of the reviewers had a unit that actually smarting smoking. Ouch.

Last edited:

Tene

Funny how no reviewer does a simple loopback test with RMAA to get a glimpse of how it measures.
Hell, even motherboards get their own RMAA charts in some reviews.

Veri

Master Contributor
Funny how no reviewer does a simple loopback test with RMAA to get a glimpse of how it measures.
Hell, even motherboards get their own RMAA charts in some reviews.
Yes, pretty sad :(

Tene

I bumped into comments from Andy Grove of Audio Note on a Youtube video:

andygrove.jpg

Apparently a 15yo company like Aune is a no-name and Amir's methodology is not convenient enough for them.
Did they send a sample to @amirm since then?

He also posted a video testing a pre-release EVGA Nu with an APx500:

Some components were different and the test was made entirely outside of a PC, probably with a dedicated PSU.
I'm sure an interference free environment is the best way to do "real conditions of use" measurements of a sound card :)

Veri

Master Contributor

View attachment 22106

Apparently a 15yo company like Aune is a no-name and Amir's methodology is not convenient enough for them.
Did they send a sample to @amirm since then?

Some components were different and the test was made entirely outside of a PC, probably with a dedicated PSU.
I'm sure an interference free environment is the best way to do "real conditions of use" measurements of a sound card :)
Very interesting!

test.jpg

Let's compare to Aune X1S just to piss him off :D....

index.php

Very similar if not better. pretty good for such a no-name chinese company! (/s)

ryanmh1

View attachment 22106

Well, Andy sort of has a point. The site is often a SINAD pissing match due to the prominent placement given to a shootout chart which, I have argued and would argue, is often irrelevant to anything having to do with audible sound quality, product usefulness, etc. It's unfortunate, and it would not surprise me to see it cause more manufacturers to be reticent to send their products in, or to be dismissive of ASR in general. Then again, there are tests of products like the Neurochrome amplifier in which the methodology -- multiple frequency sweeps at multiple power levels -- is exemplary. Now, for a sound card, SINAD might be relevant for finding a good inexpensive measurement interface, at least. So there's that.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Strange that the output is 1.8 volts. It is shy of 2 volt I like to see. It can lower distortion levels per what he post for the video.

And no, I have not had any contact with them.

Tup3x

Last edited:

ryanmh1

First decent review so far: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/NU_Audio_Sound_Card

Loopback test:

View attachment 23124
View attachment 23125

Compare to AE-5 loopback test those are obviously better. The thing is that Nu Audio has excellent ADC while AE-5 uses the ADC integrated to SoundCore3D chip and it's a clear bottleneck.

This is getting there. If we can ever get it to the point of about .0005% THD+N and IMD+N on a soundcard, coupling the soundcard with an autoranger and some decent software (which someone would have to design and build) would make an AudioPrecision almost redundant for anything but the most persnickety of audio measurements.

bobhol

Would not give this a second look. I'm very happy with my USB DAC/ADC and for a lot less cash.

Top Bottom