• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers Suggestions Sought

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it is wise to move to germany, even though the VAT might seems high. But if work locally the situation won't be that bad I guess :)

Haha yeh, the much larger single market is pretty great for consumer goods prices and availability compared to Aus :)

Guermantes

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What's your local used market look like? I would start there considering your crazy taxes. Or checkout JBL studio 230 which are currently on clearance for $159 shipped, and find a used amp locally with the features you want.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha yeh, the much larger single market is pretty great for consumer goods prices and availability compared to Aus :)

I'm still surprised by the sheer variety of audio equipment at all price levels in Germany - loads of brands of all sizes selling domestic only, or to neighbouring countries like Switzerland or Austria. Even German domestic manufacturing was not as pricey as I imagined it to be. Brands like Canton, Phonar, Abacus, SPL and several other pro audio brands come to mind selling what seem like well-engineered equipment made in Germany at surprisingly reasonable prices.

edit: to answer the original question, poke around for domestically-made equipment, especially used. Australia also has a surprisingly rich hifi manufacturing scene. Off the top of my head, stuff from Krix, Whatmough, Legend Acoustics, Equinox might fit your budget used.

Last edited:

noobie1

I’ve tried two sub $500 speakers including Kali’s and Vanatoo’s. I prefer the latter by a wide margin.

BillG

Major Contributor
These come on sale frequently in Oceania - I'm in New Zealand, and I was able to obtain a pair for ~$250NZD:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/R162BK.html

They're exceptional speakers for the money. Being quite underrepresented by the audio press, there's a shortage of quality reviews of them. However, Sound & Vision performed a comprehensive one, and the reviewer liked them so much he wanted to maintain them in a museum... :cool:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/infinity-reference-r162-speaker-system-page-2

Top Bottom