• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed, Aeon 2 Noire and Stealth

AudioKC

Have to add, string instruments in Noir 2 is very very good. Not sure why these are outstanding for me, but it is sound very good, better than in my Focals.

paudio

Just got Noir 2, added to my Focal Elegia and Focal Elex.

IMO overall sound quality, placement

1. DCA Noir 2 - bass, speed, details
2. Focal Elex - dynamics, scene, separation
3. Focal Elegia - kind of mix of two above, but very “paper” sounding bass and lower midrange for me. To warm, to flat kinda…

Anyway, Noir 2 for 900$ is worth it. Great closed back sound.

Don’t hate me too much, but it can be driven from apple dongle just fine on average loudness.

At desktop I use modi+ and heresy amp.

I haven't heard any Focals yet. They're kind of not my style aesthetically. Next time I am at a place that carries them I will have to try em just so I know.

I run the Noires off of apple dongle mostly too. Qudelix as well. Getting EQ setup on that. I haven't been able to hear any substantial difference between 30mW dongle and 500mW at 90dbSPL

doug2761

Forum Donor
Don’t hate me too much, but it can be driven from apple dongle just fine on average loudness.
No reason for shame. Apple dongle has lower distortion than those headphones. It just can't drive them to their max. Listening through an Apple dongle and IEMs as I type this.

AudioKC

Just got Noir 2, added to my Focal Elegia and Focal Elex.

IMO overall sound quality, placement

1. DCA Noir 2 - bass, speed, details
2. Focal Elex - dynamics, scene, separation
3. Focal Elegia - kind of mix of two above, but very “paper” sounding bass and lower midrange for me. To warm, to flat kinda…

Anyway, Noir 2 for 900$ is worth it. Great closed back sound.

Asked GPT4 to compare Elex and Noire

Result: “they quite equally good, but Noire faster and has specific sound signature and with good bass”

I Approve this message :)

Comparing the Focal Elex and the DCA Aeon 2 Noire, here's a breakdown of some major audiophile categories:

1. Sound Signature:
  • Focal Elex: The Elex is known for its neutral and balanced sound signature, with tight bass, clear mids, and smooth highs. It is often praised for its detailed and natural sound reproduction.
  • DCA Aeon 2 Noire: The Aeon 2 Noire also has a balanced sound signature, with controlled bass, clear mids, and detailed highs. It is well-suited for various music genres and delivers an immersive listening experience.
  1. Soundstage and Imaging:
  • Focal Elex: The Elex is an open-back headphone, which generally leads to a wider and more natural soundstage, with good imaging and separation of instruments.
  • DCA Aeon 2 Noire: Being a closed-back headphone, the Aeon 2 Noire has a more intimate soundstage compared to open-back designs. However, it still provides good imaging and instrument separation.
  1. Bass:
  • Focal Elex: The Elex delivers tight and accurate bass, without overemphasis or distortion. It may not have the same impact as some bass-heavy headphones, but it provides a natural and balanced low-end.
  • DCA Aeon 2 Noire: The Aeon 2 Noire is known for its controlled bass and fast transient response, resulting in an impactful and detailed low-end.
  1. Comfort and Build Quality:
  • Focal Elex: The Elex is well-built and comfortable, with a sturdy metal frame and plush ear pads. However, it is relatively heavier than the Aeon 2 Noire, which might affect comfort during long listening sessions.
  • DCA Aeon 2 Noire: The Aeon 2 Noire is lighter and more compact, with a foldable design that enhances portability. It is comfortable to wear for extended periods, thanks to its ergonomic design and comfortable ear pads.
Approximate percentile scores compared to peers:

• Focal Elex: 85%
  • DCA Aeon 2 Noire: 85%
Both the Focal Elex and the DCA Aeon 2 Noire are highly-regarded among audiophiles and offer excellent performance in their respective categories. The choice between the two will largely depend on personal preferences, such as sound signature, open-back vs. closed-back design, and comfort considerations. While the percentile scores provided are approximate and subjective, both headphones perform admirably compared to their peers in the audiophile market.

AudioKC

Also asked GPT4 for alternative, just interested

Here are three headphones similar to or potentially better than the DCA Aeon 2 Noire based on the audiophile categories and approximate percentile scores:

1. Audeze LCD-XC (Percentile: 90%)
  • Sound Signature: The Audeze LCD-XC offers a balanced sound signature with deep bass, detailed mids, and crisp highs. It provides a more engaging and immersive sound experience compared to many other closed-back headphones.
  • Soundstage and Imaging: Despite being a closed-back headphone, the LCD-XC offers a relatively wide soundstage and excellent imaging, with accurate instrument placement and separation.
  • Bass: The LCD-XC is known for its powerful and controlled bass, delivering impact and detail without overpowering the rest of the audio spectrum.
  • Comfort and Build Quality: The Audeze LCD-XC is well-built and comfortable, with high-quality materials and plush ear pads. However, they are relatively heavy, which may affect comfort during long listening sessions.
  1. Fostex TH-900 Mk2 (Percentile: 88%)
  • Sound Signature: The Fostex TH-900 Mk2 offers a slightly warm and engaging sound signature, with tight bass, clear mids, and detailed highs.
  • Soundstage and Imaging: The TH-900 Mk2 features a semi-open design, which provides a wider soundstage than typical closed-back headphones. The imaging is accurate, with good instrument separation and placement.
  • Bass: The TH-900 Mk2 is known for its deep and impactful bass that remains tight and controlled.
  • Comfort and Build Quality: The Fostex TH-900 Mk2 has a premium build quality with comfortable ear pads and a lightweight design that makes them suitable for long listening sessions.
  1. ZMF Eikon (Percentile: 87%)
  • Sound Signature: The ZMF Eikon offers a balanced and natural sound signature, with a slight emphasis on the bass and treble regions, while still maintaining clear and detailed mids.
  • Soundstage and Imaging: The Eikon features a closed-back design but provides a relatively wide soundstage and excellent imaging, with accurate instrument placement and separation.
  • Bass: The Eikon's bass is tight and controlled, with good impact and extension.
  • Comfort and Build Quality: The ZMF Eikon is handcrafted with high-quality wood and materials, offering a premium feel and comfortable fit for long listening sessions.

Here are the approximate prices for each of the headphones mentioned:

1. Audeze LCD-XC: around $1,799 USD
  2. Fostex TH-900 Mk2: around $1,200 USD
  3. ZMF Eikon: around $1,399 USD

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Aeon 2 Noire are definitely the best of the budget headphones out there. I paid € 777 for Mine during a black Friday sale.

I prefer my Meze Liric but at 1550€ they where nearly double the price of the noire.

OP
N

nonnyno

I haven’t posted for a while. I still really enjoy the dc aeon 2 noire with my e50/l50 combo but I am very disappointed by the fact that the noire flops on my head. I adjust it for my head and it gradually slides down. It has really put me off the dc headband design.

I haven’t posted for a while. I still really enjoy the dc aeon 2 noire with my e50/l50 combo but I am very disappointed by the fact that the noire flops on my head. I adjust it for my head and it gradually slides down. It has really put me off the dc headband design.
Have you tried tightening the screws at the base of the nitinol wires? That should do the trick.

OP
N

nonnyno

Tbh embarrassed to admit that when I looked disgustedly at it I wasn’t wearing my glasses. My close vision is terrible without glasses. Didn’t see them. :) will check when I get back home. I’m surprised that they loosened up so fast though. I hope this won’t have to be regular thing.

You can always put a drop of blue loctite on the threads after you tighten them down.;)

OP
N

nonnyno

You can always put a drop of blue loctite on the threads after you tighten them down.;)
I’m not sure locking anything down is a good idea. I have this morbid fear that the sky may fall on my head thus changin*its shape forever or that my head might become more pointy thus rendering the headphones unusable unless left adjustable ;-)

asrUser

Running the Noires through an Apple dongle? Is this April Fools' Day?

asrUser

Most likely it will become a shouty fest.
Whose doing that? I’m using it on a topping e50/l50 combo

I run the Noires off of apple dongle mostly too. Qudelix as well. Getting EQ setup on that. I haven't been able to hear any substantial difference between 30mW dongle and 500mW at 90dbSPL

I’m not sure locking anything down is a good idea. I have this morbid fear that the sky may fall on my head thus changin*its shape forever or that my head might become more pointy thus rendering the headphones unusable unless left adjustable ;-)
@nonnyno , by any chance do you like to worry?? ;)
You don't have to lock it down, you just need to bring the adjustment back to it's original resistance to adjustment. I assume it wasn't "floppy" when you first got it...

OP
N

nonnyno

@nonnyno , by any chance do you like to worry?? ;)
You don't have to lock it down, you just need to bring the adjustment back to it's original resistance to adjustment. I assume it wasn't "floppy" when you first got it...
Not usually but when cash is pushed into something I worry. If it can go wrong it will go wrong usually the day after the guarantee expires. If someone can get a faulty item I’m it. Even my friends are amazed. Usually they say let me buy the item first that will have got rid of the dud then they buy.

Top Bottom