• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making a Case/Enclosure for the Khadas Tone Board

ngs428

First and foremost, thanks @TimW for the instructions. I was able to make the case as I waited for the tone board to arrive. Here is my finished product.

IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0823.JPG

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Interesting, its almost a match width wise for the JDS Atom.

tlr

Speaking of Atom, my "case" for the Khadas Tone Board is a JDS Atom...

IMG_5543.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

Required tools:

* Torx T10 driver
* Drill with 5/32" and 1/2" bits
* Utility knife
* Printed copy of one of the Tone Board templates from https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ase-enclosure-for-the-khadas-tone-board.5054/ (make sure it's printed at 100%!(

Instructions:

1. Remove 4 rubber feet and 4 Torx screws from the bottom of the Atom. Remove the top of the case.
2. Pry off the rear right weight in the Atom case. I just stuck it to the front right weight.
3. Tape the template to the side of the Atom. On mine the center of the rear-most RCA jack is about 13/16" from the back and 9/16" from the top, but you should verify it's positioned such that the Tone Board will fit. Make sure the USB port will clear the front weight, and preferably the board should clear the front right screw hole so you don't have to remove that standoff. The board will probably be up against the Atom's RCA jacks.

IMG_2523.jpg

4. Mark the 3 RCA jack holes and 3 holes for the USB port with the tip of a knife or awl. Remove the template.
5. Carefully drill the USB port holes with a 5/32" bit (or maybe even 1/8", then enlarge until the right size. Be careful not to drill into the Atom board behind it. Clean up the hole with a utility knife.
6. Carefully drill pilot holes for the 3 RCA jacks (I just used the same 5/32" bit) VERY slowly drill the 1/2" holes for the RCA jacks. No matter how careful I was the bit still grabbed and mangled the plastic a bit, but it turned out ok. A drill press or different type of bit may have helped but I didn't have that. Clean up the holes with a utility knife. Don't worry too much about them being perfect since the rings from the Tone Board will cover a bit of the area around the holes.

IMG_8346.jpg

7. Test the fit, enlarge holes using drill in whatever direction is necessary until it fits.
8. Remove the screw rings from the RCA jacks, put the board in place, and screw the rings back on until they're tight.
10. Cut off the rear right standoff from the top of the case, and trim down (or cut off) the right front standoff until it fits. I was able to use the utility knife to remove the plastic braces then break the rear one off.

IMG_4217.jpg

11. Reinstall the top case. Done!

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Great utility of space !!

Suggestion:
Get a set of RCA cables with right-angled connectors on one end and straight connectors on the other.

It will keep those cables from sticking out so much on the sides.

A right-angles USB C connector might be useful too. ;)

milw50717

Is it possible to easily remove the Atom's PCB from the case before attempting to drill the case ?

Last edited:

tlr

Is it possible to easily remove the Atom's PCB from the case before attempting to drill the case ?

Probably, but I tried for about 30 seconds before I got impatient and gave up.

Last edited:

tlr

I got the board out (which is necessary to add internal wiring to the DAC, since the contacts for the RCA jack are on the bottom). It wasn't easy. You need either:

1. remove the translucent white plastic piece behind the knob (held on by glue) and carefully bend the front and rear of the case to allow you to slide the front of the board out first, then the rear
2. remove the rear panel from the case (held in place by glue), then slide the rear of the board out first, then the front

milw50717

I got the board out (which is necessary to add internal wiring to the DAC, since the contacts for the RCA jack are on the bottom). It wasn't easy. You need either:

1. remove the translucent white plastic piece behind the knob (held on by glue) and carefully bend the front and rear of the case to allow you to slide the front of the board out first, then the rear
2. remove the rear panel from the case (held in place by glue), then slide the rear of the board out first, then the front

Thanks for the followup. Always good to know how to break into these things :)

A similar effort has just been posted in the JDS thread. They have removed the RCAs from the KTB which makes for easier installation.

Last edited:

zblackwell

Was thinking about just drilling 4 holes in a 5.25" aluminum bay in my PC that I'm not using. I'm lazy and have none of these tools lol.

H

Hifihedgehog

Before I venture to attempt this myself, has anyone already made this into a Front Panel Express file? I don't have access to the tools required to do make this panel in-house so Front Panel Express is what I am planning on doing.

milw50717

The tools required are pretty basic. If you have a power drill with some normal drill bits then you are pretty much there. Here's what I used

Tools owned
  • Hammer
  • Hand-held power drill
  • Drill bit set - just a standard set of straight drill bits, nothing special
Tools bought
I used a hammer + screw (as I couldn't find my center punch) to mark where to drill. A hand held power drill and the smallest (1/16") straight bit was used to drill the pilot holes - 1 for each of the RCAs and 3 for the USB. A stepped bit was then used to fully drill the holes for the RCAs and a straight 5/32 bit to widen the USB hole. A needle file was used to remove excess material and neaten up the USB hole. All drilled holes were then inspected for burrs which were filed down as required.

I was very careful to make sure that when I was using the stepped drill bit that the panel was held in place, there was nothing under the area being drilled and that I was drilling as upright/perpendicular as I could. For hand drilling I think that the stepped drill bits are easier to handle. Cheaper alternatives may be available at places such as the much loved/derided Harbor Freight and buying a single stepped drill bit and flat needle file is also possible.

I decided on the DIY aluminium case as I wanted the additional weight and buying the tools was a better option for me as I plan to use them on other projects.

H

Hifihedgehog

Thank you for taking the time to write out all of the instructions as I am sure many others will benefit from it. Now, I would do this, but I actually have little time between my many other extracurricular activities (computer building, soldering projects, managing several websites, volunteering in the community) and my full-time day job to set aside for it. Plus, I do not have an adequate workbench or work area where I would be comfort to have iron shavings go. In fact, outdoors also is not an option given my living arrangements. I do not have a vice, either, so even if I did have a place where I could do this, I would run the risk of misdrilling. So putting that aside, if I go the route of paying for a front panel, there is still the matter of screw holes for the board's standoffs which casts a cloud on me exploring this further. Suffice it to say, I may just risk it and opt for the Audiophonics case after all in the hope that they finally fixed their QC issues.

evrial

Why making a case if this board can fit inside the pc case like pci sound card? Only need to rotate usb port 90 deg and plug into mobo usb.

Sekenenz

Finally home!

20190517_023031.jpg

20190517_022416.jpg20190517_022534.jpg20190517_023118.jpg20190517_023258.jpg20190517_023535.jpg20190517_023851.jpg20190517_024115.jpg20190517_024148.jpg

Very happy for the workmanship, micro blasted, satin-like. Much less for the laser-engraved cover, I haven't fixed it yet, I want to try to do it again with different materials.

Here another failed attempt, but a great coaster.

20190517_024400.jpg

All in all very happy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom