• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Sorry, can't seem to upload videos.
If anyone interested knows, please explain. If not, I can share them by sending them to e-mails
It is free and fast to upload to YouTube.

Then just sharing a link here.

You can always delete from YouTube once your issue is resolved.

E_Majluf

from 80 hz the roll off occurs.
First video is for Bryston BDA-3 and second video is SMSL D-6

E_Majluf

Good morning everyone, I needed one last test replacing the Madrigal RCA analog cables for the ones I use in the Bryston BDA_3 DAC. And indeed it happened that everything improved, the output curves of the low frequencies were equalized.

I find it hard to believe that these cables are damaged and have that drop in volume in those frequencies and not in the rest.

My apologies to all.

AudioFans

在 Topping A90 分立放大器上直接比较 Topping D10 Balanced 与 SMSL D-6 DAC,我发现 D6 的触感更温暖,适合我的 Audeze LCD-XC 2021。当然这都是主观的,所以 YMMV。
D10b and D6 , only compare the sound ,which is batter?Or we can't say which is better?Only have some difference

rcstevensonaz

I just bought one to pair with my living room couch setup with my THX 887. I'm curious if it's worth getting the balanced cables?
Probably not, unless your distances are great, or you think you're experiencing EMI issues from the unbal. cables.

The reply from Ampguy is right — unless you want it for gain matching reasons.

If your headphones are harder to drive (e.g., HE6se*) and you are already using the level 3 gain setting on the THX887, then switching over to balanced cables could be helpful since it will provide a slightly higher input voltage. (A good quality set of short balanced cables are not very expensive.)

Conversely, if your headphones are extremely easy to drive, you may want to avoid using balanced cables to avoid the higher input voltage.

And if have a wide range of headphones you rotate between when listening, you could connect with both SE and BAL cables. Then just use the Input selector on the THX887 to switch between the lower and higher input gain levels.

* But this also depends on how loud you listen. I have an HE6se hooked up to my THX887 and I find that the THX887 is more than powerful enough just on the SE cables — though I will still occasionally "kick it up" a notch to the balanced input.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
I picked up a D-6 (Amazon) for my son and am returning it as the optical in connection is touch and go. And Amir's observation: "I found the navigation of settings or even changing inputs to be somewhat confusing." Spot on. Can't stand it.

Otherwise, I loved it. Going to MOTU.

So, as of today, would you pick the D-6 over the Dx3 Pro+ ?

Planned use is mostly pure usb dac & some bluetooth sometimes, from pc into amp with rca, headphones amp really optional.

Considering the clicking issues, low price difference, easiness of use and settings, durability, is there a sufficient sound quality or other difference to justify not going for the Dx3 and its extra features ? Or anything, for this simple use, that would justify going the extra buck for the C200, DO100 or D50S ?

Or, I mean, if we are to really trust measurements, considering the close-to-none difference, wouldn't one achieve the same quality of usb sound for way less by getting the much cheaper D10S - which avoids all setting issues and make things much simpler - and simply get an under 30bucks bluetooth receptor since it pbbly even won't be used for hq audio anyways ?

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor

Planned use is mostly pure usb dac & some bluetooth sometimes, from pc into amp with rca, headphones amp really optional.

Considering the clicking issues, low price difference, easiness of use and settings, durability, is there a sufficient sound quality or other difference to justify not going for the Dx3 and its extra features ? Or anything, for this simple use, that would justify going the extra buck for the C200, DO100 or D50S ?

Or, I mean, if we are to really trust measurements, considering the close-to-none difference, wouldn't one achieve the same quality of usb sound for way less by getting the much cheaper D10S - which avoids all setting issues and make things much simpler - and simply get an under 30bucks bluetooth receptor since it pbbly even won't be used for hq audio anyways ?
I would just go for the DX3 since Topping products generally have better quality/longevity in my experiences.
YOu can just get the D10S if you just want a DAC but it has less features overall.

Plugged in the Dx3+ today. Usb, BT, Amp working great out of the box. Will see how it goes with time but if there is no technical failure I should be set. Otherwise I'll pbbly test Smsl ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hapo

I returned mine after picking up a second-hand SMSL DO100 for the same price as a brand new D-6 (or SU-6) so it was a no brainer for me.

...what did you like aboot the DO 100 enough to return the D-6...???...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
...what did you like aboot the DO 100 enough to return the D-6...???...
It is just a newer design with better performance I guess. Also has native XLR vs the TRS balanced connectors that some companies have been doing.

ErnieM88

I recently bought one to connect through Bluetooth to my active monitors.

Has anyone been able to use LDAC with Samsung devices?
I can select it through the developer options but it defaults back to aptX as soon as I leave the menu. Thanks.

EDIT: Figured it out.

Makes for a very nice budget bedroom system when combined with RCF Ayra Pro's.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think the D6 was crowned the quasi close enough to SOTA performance per $$$ champ... the review here showed thatr

to my liking it has some fripperies i dont care for... like the TRS

and I think we've seen that type c power is enough to go on so i dont think an internal psu is necessary and it inflates price

and so I'm still hanging out for something cheaper from SMSL that is closer to what I would match to a Fosi V3...

ie. the SMSL C100

BUT with dual type c input and a vol. knob.

and I would like a more advanced BT chipset so it can do Qualcomm and Sony but that is bye the bye.

Top Bottom