• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

3125b

Major Contributor
*this has been referred to in some posts as the tweeter's waveguide. I believe the waveguide is the conical section further in - the metallic grille is just protection?
Yes.
  1. Cloth off, Tweeter grille off
It looks miserable that way: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-62-speaker-review.12232/page-65#post-705130
It's clearly designd to be used with that grille on. Most Elacs of old were designed to be used with the grills (both metal for the dome drivers and cloth) on as well.

I love the sound of my DBR62s and am considering upgrading to the DFR52s and moving the DBR62s to surround. I have a third DBR62 I'm using as a center that would work alongside the DFR52s as L/R. Are DBR62s in surround position overkill and am I better off selling the pair of DBR62s? Any other suggestions?

Nothing is cheaper than speakers you already own - so no, they'll be just fine.
Thank you for the advice! That makes sense. I guess I don't know a whole lot about surround speakers and wonder if these bookshelves would be considered overkill or would it only sound all the better?

3125b

Major Contributor
The surround channels aren't usually doing all that much, they don't need the best bass extension or exceptional level handling. These vs. cheaper speakers might not make much of an audible difference, but more capable speakers can never hurt either. Selling them used you'd loose a fair bit of money compared to new price, but a five year old speaker won't have depreciated much further compared to a one year old speaker. There's no harm in keeping them for now. And if you figure out that they don't fit your space or anything like that it's never too late to sell them.

JRS

Major Contributor
Thank you for the advice! That makes sense. I guess I don't know a whole lot about surround speakers and wonder if these bookshelves would be considered overkill or would it only sound all the better?
Overkill? Definitely not, some run towers from all the corners. If I were to do a pure Elac system, I'd do it that way as well.
Then for sides, I would use the Debut 5.2 or 6.2 and use their ceiling speakers for height. You are getting close to a great sounding yet not over the top expensive system--the kind many of us would be just fine with.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me the only problem with my chosen side channel speakers is that the dispersion was too narrow for how close they are to the listeners. In other words, sound effects sometimes are coming too obvious from "right over there" when their source should sound less distinct and moving sounds should transition more smoothly past the listener's head (like a motorcycle driving past the camera viewpoint). The correct fix would be to move the side speakers further back but I'm up against the walls of the room so wider dispersion would help the speaker's location disappear a little better and I could help them by angling the speaker away from the listeners a little and increase the wall reflections on purpose to "spread out" the sound's source. I would look at the DBR62's dispersion plot again to check that its fairly wide if you're sides are close to the audience.

delta76

Major Contributor
I've seen people using towers as surround. Because they can!
in a seriousness, that's where the room correction comes to play. as long as your speakers (not only surround, but also rear and heights) have reasonable frequency response, directivity and placements, a decent room correction solution (Audyssey/Dirac) would integrate them (crossover/loudness) into system "well enough". DBR62 as surround is actually a good choice - if your space allows it.

Last edited:
Overkill? Definitely not, some run towers from all the corners. If I were to do a pure Elac system, I'd do it that way as well.
Then for sides, I would use the Debut 5.2 or 6.2 and use their ceiling speakers for height. You are getting close to a great sounding yet not over the top expensive system--the kind many of us would be just fine with.
Are you saying you would run four towers? Could you elaborate as to why you'd do it that way? Thanks!

For me the only problem with my chosen side channel speakers is that the dispersion was too narrow for how close they are to the listeners. In other words, sound effects sometimes are coming too obvious from "right over there" when their source should sound less distinct and moving sounds should transition more smoothly past the listener's head (like a motorcycle driving past the camera viewpoint). The correct fix would be to move the side speakers further back but I'm up against the walls of the room so wider dispersion would help the speaker's location disappear a little better and I could help them by angling the speaker away from the listeners a little and increase the wall reflections on purpose to "spread out" the sound's source. I would look at the DBR62's dispersion plot again to check that its fairly wide if you're sides are close to the audience.
Thank you for the input. I'm by no means an expert, but by reading Amir's OP, it appears to me that the dispersion of the DBR62s are considered wide.

I've seen people using towers as surround. please they can!
in a seriousness, that's where the room correction comes to play. as long as your speakers (not only surround, but also rear and heights) have reasonable frequency response, directivity and placements, a decent room correction solution (Audyssey/Dirac) would integrate them (crossover/loudness) into system "well enough". DBR62 as surround is actually a good choice - if your space allows it.
Thank you for the reassurance! I do have Dirac to help with room correction. So it sounds like if my system is DFR52s as L/R, DBR62 as C, and then two DBR62s as LS/LR I should be pretty set?

delta76

Major Contributor
Thank you for the reassurance! I do have Dirac to help with room correction. So it sounds like if my system is DFR52s as L/R, DBR62 as C, and then two DBR62s as LS/LR I should be pretty set?
Yes it will be pretty good. You might want to add a sub, or two, and a few height speakers, but that is a good start :).

JRS

Major Contributor
I know that it runs contrary to the usual philosophy.
Are you saying you would run four towers? Could you elaborate as to why you'd do it that way? Thanks!
So I would be dating myself here, but as an avid young audio enthusiast of the 70's I was entirely ready to jump on the multichannel bandwagon. Without exception all of the demo rooms had 4 identical speakers describing a shallow rectangle, and depending on the intent of the producer, one may listen from a mid hall perspective with the ambient reverb coming from behind as we would with most movie watching. And this would be the obvious way to do classical recordings (though it wasn't always--predictably with mixed reviews. While many might dream of having a conductor ear's view of matters, does one really want to be the tuba player right in front of some serious percussion? With rock it wasn't as clear--maybe one does want to be on stage hearing the audience in front, surrounded by guitars, keyboards and drum kit. Long story short: there was mostly piss-poor attempts with a few jewels thrown into the mix.

Those jewels were good enough to keep the dream alive and with the "rapid" technological development of multichannel audio for home theaters, we are in a position to witness some very cool experimentation--just about 50 years later. I haven't had chance to hear the Apple mch remixes, but have finally been coerced into biting from the apple (to use an absolutely extraordinary technology out of Princeton U. known as BAACH, must have Mac platform. Interesting story: Renowned plasma physicist/rocket scientist genius with dozens of patents and huge interest in audio tackles problem of spatial recreation with gob smacking results, using in some cases normal stereo recordings https://www.youtube.com22/watch?v=r161zrgV1HQ )

So the need to have 4 fully full range speakers anchoring corners is not a new idea. I used to be obsessive about a/v and esp when it was coming out I paid a lot of interest to both home theater and audio press. One of the guys I followed way back was Brent Butterworth who reviewing some B&W tower speakers talked about having 4 set up and had what I refer to as the "I touched the sky and talked with God" experience where it goes well beyond the usual BS and you hear the reviewer say "make no doubt about it, this is the really, really good shit that you must try." At least I think it was Butterworth, I paid attention to a few and its been a few decades ago. So there's that. I also believe if you wanted to do a lot of gaming (I suspect VR and a good head set is the e-ticket), it makes sense. Finally, we talk a lot on these pages about the difficulty of reproducing bass accurately and that the consensus and numbers tell us the best results come from multiple sources. Here I'm talking maybe high 30's and above--stuff within the reach of a competent tower, and not so much the special effect stuff that depends on SW's--and having 4 sources to start with gives one a pretty good shot of getting some clarity, assuming that your AVR could do it--it's likely beyond the capabilities of much of the stuff and best left to Dirac Live multi-woofer eq. Also I would still bring in a dedicated SW or two that have complete freedom of placement to get it extremely well sorted. So by no means whatsoever, mandatory, but if you got the floor space and the 500 extra to spend, why not towers on the rear?

And of course when it gets right down to it, I am talking mostly about special use cases, and for the usual envelopment needed for a convincing experience the usual recommendations apply. It's great that ELAC makes it affordable to do so.

Last edited:
Yes it will be pretty good. You might want to add a sub, or two, and a few height speakers, but that is a good start :).
Oh I should say! I have an SVS 3000 Micro. It was a middle ground that my SO would approve of! But perhaps I will look into getting a second one. We are moving to a new, larger space which is why I am considering the upgrade altogether.

Do the ELAC height speakers ontop of bookshelves/floorstanders perform decently for Atmos purposes or should one really look into ceiling mounted in-wall units?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Oh I should say! I have an SVS 3000 Micro. It was a middle ground that my SO would approve of! But perhaps I will look into getting a second one. We are moving to a new, larger space which is why I am considering the upgrade altogether.

Do the ELAC height speakers ontop of bookshelves/floorstanders perform decently for Atmos purposes or should one really look into ceiling mounted in-wall units?
You really want speakers mounted to or in the ceiling. The up-firing speakers are a bad compromise at best.

You really want speakers mounted to or in the ceiling. The up-firing speakers are a bad compromise at best.
Good to know, this is what I figured. Out of curiosity, can you or anyone else make a recommendation for some Atmos speakers that would pair well with the Elacs?

I know that it runs contrary to the usual philosophy.

So I would be dating myself here, but as an avid young audio enthusiast of the 70's I was entirely ready to jump on the multichannel bandwagon. Without exception all of the demo rooms had 4 identical speakers describing a shallow rectangle, and depending on the intent of the producer, one may listen from a mid hall perspective with the ambient reverb coming from behind as we would with most movie watching. And this would be the obvious way to do classical recordings (though it wasn't always--predictably with mixed reviews. While many might dream of having a conductor ear's view of matters, does one really want to be the tuba player right in front of some serious percussion? With rock it wasn't as clear--maybe one does want to be on stage hearing the audience in front, surrounded by guitars, keyboards and drum kit. Long story short: there was mostly piss-poor attempts with a few jewels thrown into the mix.

Those jewels were good enough to keep the dream alive and with the "rapid" technological development of multichannel audio for home theaters, we are in a position to witness some very cool experimentation--just about 50 years later. I haven't had chance to hear the Apple mch remixes, but have finally been coerced into biting from the apple (to use an absolutely extraordinary technology out of Princeton U. known as BAACH, must have Mac platform. Interesting story: Renowned plasma physicist/rocket scientist genius with dozens of patents and huge interest in audio tackles problem of spatial recreation with gob smacking results, using in some cases normal stereo recordings https://www.youtube.com22/watch?v=r161zrgV1HQ )

So the need to have 4 fully full range speakers anchoring corners is not a new idea. I used to be obsessive about a/v and esp when it was coming out I paid a lot of interest to both home theater and audio press. One of the guys I followed way back was Brent Butterworth who reviewing some B&W tower speakers talked about having 4 set up and had what I refer to as the "I touched the sky and talked with God" experience where it goes well beyond the usual BS and you hear the reviewer say "make no doubt about it, this is the really, really good shit that you must try." At least I think it was Butterworth, I paid attention to a few and its been a few decades ago. So there's that. I also believe if you wanted to do a lot of gaming (I suspect VR and a good head set is the e-ticket), it makes sense. Finally, we talk a lot on these pages about the difficulty of reproducing bass accurately and that the consensus and numbers tell us the best results come from multiple sources. Here I'm talking maybe high 30's and above--stuff within the reach of a competent tower, and not so much the special effect stuff that depends on SW's--and having 4 sources to start with gives one a pretty good shot of getting some clarity, assuming that your AVR could do it--it's likely beyond the capabilities of much of the stuff and best left to Dirac Live multi-woofer eq. Also I would still bring in a dedicated SW or two that have complete freedom of placement to get it extremely well sorted. So by no means whatsoever, mandatory, but if you got the floor space and the 500 extra to spend, why not towers on the rear?

And of course when it gets right down to it, I am talking mostly about special use cases, and for the usual envelopment needed for a convincing experience the usual recommendations apply. It's great that ELAC makes it affordable to do so.
Very interesting... something I will consider and would love to experiment with myself! Thanks for sharing.

snoopy112

Has anyone compared DBR-62 with Denton 85th? Especially with class D amps? Which is better for pretty small rooms (about 12-14 m2)?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Has anyone compared DBR-62 with Denton 85th? Especially with class D amps? Which is better for pretty small rooms (about 12-14 m2)?
Try with active monitors like Kali LP 6 V2's instead.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately I haven't found where anyone has reviewed (measured) the Denton, which is a significant lack in the reviews spectrum considering it is such a popular and well-regarded speaker. Someone needs to send one to Amir or someone to get it measured.

Top Bottom