• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 12.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 394 86.0%

• Total voters

ivo.f.doma

We have made measurements (26.8 dB gain) using our test setup which only has 107 dB dynamic range of THD + N measurement capability. This is what we measured (SINAD 107 dB) and only represents the test equipment THD + N as the NCx500s are better. In listening, these amplifiers are as quiet as a dark night in deep space with intense layering, dimension and power. Please PM me if you would like me to send you the plots. I don't want to publish the plots as some may not understand test equipment limitations. This is a pure Hypex build with the Hypex on board buffer amplifiers and SMPS1200A700 power supply.
That looks like an overall better amp than the Purifi!

Hapo

...is this something available to the general public....???...

delta76

Major Contributor
...is this something available to the general public....???...
this is supposed to be used by manufacturers, i.e. OEM
if you want to build it yourself, their is Nilai500 DIY module with comparable performance, but aims to DYI market

Vacceo

Major Contributor
We have made measurements (26.8 dB gain) using our test setup which only has 107 dB dynamic range of THD + N measurement capability. This is what we measured (SINAD 107 dB) and only represents the test equipment THD + N as the NCx500s are better. In listening, these amplifiers are as quiet as a dark night in deep space with intense layering, dimension and power. Please PM me if you would like me to send you the plots. I don't want to publish the plots as some may not understand test equipment limitations. This is a pure Hypex build with the Hypex on board buffer amplifiers and SMPS1200A700 power supply.
I understand Amir standard of 115 db as a way to get a 100% guaranteed clean, non audible transparent signal. However, I personally consider that anything beyond 100 db gets you that too on a more practical level. Honestly, that result is "beyond CD quality" clean. At 26.8 db gain and with the wattage that these modules output, that is absolutely satisfactory in my book.

On the other hand, the efficiency of these amps is also close to max thermodynamic capacity.

withoutsuit

If you would have to buy an amplifier the next weeks - would you choose Purifi oder NCx500? I´ve an eye on the Apollon Purifi Mini, but it´s expensive - for less money, I could choose an NCx500 from NORD oder Buckeye.

delta76

Major Contributor
If you would have to buy an amplifier the next weeks - would you choose Purifi oder NCx500? I´ve an eye on the Apollon Purifi Mini, but it´s expensive - for less money, I could choose an NCx500 from NORD oder Buckeye.
Yes.
Comparable results (or Purifi slightly better). it has been around long enough to have any issues ironed out.
but you can't go wrong with either.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
In real world listening, the NCx and Purifi are virtually identical. If you can wait, you can save some money and go with NCx builds as they are about to hit market.
If needing amplification now, grab the Purifi and don't worry about second guessing or fear of missing out

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nord has several options here.

Edit: and now Buckeye too, things are moving fast.

Last edited:

Hapo

...I want to buy one of these amps...will they sell out before the first one is delivered...???...

...the Buckeye amp is available with either/or the Hypex or their custom 3 level buffer for the same price...(?!?)...

...is there an advantage either way...???...what would Amir do...?!?...(LoL)

Last edited:

withoutsuit

Please note that you need to enter your shipping address and postal code, so that the website can calculate the shipping costs. We ship worldwide.
Do you plan to make a sale of the purifi based amplifiers, as NCx500 becomes more and more available (and seems to be cheaper)?

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
uncomfortable-wtf.gif

chingaling

What pre amp were you using when you gave it a demo. I purchased a SHD from you a few years back. I was wondering how this would pair with it.

chingaling

Hapo

...I don't like how they run @ 2 ohms...is that related to current capacity...???...

57gold

Read somewhere, perhaps here, that Purifi was introducing a high current version of the 1ET7040SA, maybe a module that is bridgeable? Was I reading this or dreaming it? Thanks.

Last edited:

Hapo

...is that that amp on the Buckeye site for preorder...???...40 amps current capacity...???...

....is that the high current model or is there one with even more...???...

...I just changed my Buckeye order from the NCx500 amp over to a Purifi 1ET7040SA amplifier behind the way it ramps up to 1kw @2 ohms...

...I figger that has to have something to do with 40 amps vs 28 amps despite the disparity in power numbers @ 8 ohms...

...there is quite a disparity in price as well but I am running a 2 ohm load, eh...

Last edited:

57gold

Read it here:

Hapo

...now I want to change my order again...

Top Bottom