• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Indio77

Hi guys,

How should I put my E30ii in DAC mode because even if I push on/off button about 3 sec it is not commute to DAC or PRE mode ( do not appear on display). On display show up F-2, F-3)

Ahmonge

Forum Donor

gegegege

I did an AB test between E30ii and my old topping DX7s, paired with THX AAA 789 amp and HE6SE V2.
Huge difference. I played some violin tracks, DX7s is a lot clearer with a lot more details, violin sounds powerful and alive. E30ii sounds very soft, I can't hear any of the details unfortunately.
Both units are connected to the amp through RCA, DX7s sounds even better when use XLR.
Is this to be expected? I am quite disappointed with E30ii to be honest, will E50 or E70 sound better?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I did an AB test between E30ii and my old topping DX7s
Huge difference.
Is this to be expected? I am quite disappointed with E30ii to be honest, will E50 or E70 sound better?
How did you level-match the two DACs?

gegegege

How did you level-match the two DACs?
I don't have any equipment to level match, they are all set to DAC mode. But even I dial up the amp for E30ii to the max I can tolerate, it still doesn't have the details and clarity I hear from DX7s which can be described as more dynamic.

nerone

I'm having issues with the Topping E 30 II of interruptions and continuous sound degradation lasting a few seconds when using the audio Chromecast, with the previous E30 of the good ones I've never had any problems.
Is it the usual problem of the latest Toppings or can it be solved with some update?
Thank you

Heiko

I'm having issues with the Topping E 30 II of interruptions and continuous sound degradation lasting a few seconds when using the audio Chromecast, with the previous E30 of the good ones I've never had any problems.
Is it the usual problem of the latest Toppings or can it be solved with some update?
Thank you
I have both a Chromecast Audio and E30II and I can't reproduce your problem with any of the streaming services and apps I use. No interruptions, no degradation.

Do the interruptions and degradation also occur when you connect your Chromecast Audio to your amplifier using the analog output?
If yes, then the problem is caused by a bad server of your streaming service, by a bad wifi connection (low bandwith or interference from other sources) or a faulty Chromecast device.
If no, then the problem is either your toslink cable or your E30II.

nerone

I have both a Chromecast Audio and E30II and I can't reproduce your problem with any of the streaming services and apps I use. No interruptions, no degradation.

Do the interruptions and degradation also occur when you connect your Chromecast Audio to your amplifier using the analog output?
If yes, then the problem is caused by a bad server of your streaming service, by a bad wifi connection (low bandwith or interference from other sources) or a faulty Chromecast device.
If no, then the problem is either your toslink cable or your E30II.
with my old e30 topping works great in optics with chromecast audio

jindorii

Hi guys, I've recently bought an E30 II to pair with my L30 II.

E30 II is being detected as speakers by both my laptop and desktop.

Do I need to install the drivers for them to be detected correctly? It's working as expected so far, but I was wondering if it being detected as speaker might have an effect on how the sound is relayed.

Also, just to note in case anyone encounters audio cut offs when playing.I was getting audio cut offs when playing Uncharted with the DAC connected on the front panel of my desktop. Moving it to the back panel, fixed the issue.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I did an AB test between E30ii and my old topping DX7s, paired with THX AAA 789 amp and HE6SE V2.
Huge difference. I played some violin tracks, DX7s is a lot clearer with a lot more details, violin sounds powerful and alive. E30ii sounds very soft, I can't hear any of the details unfortunately.
Both units are connected to the amp through RCA, DX7s sounds even better when use XLR.
Leave the E30II on for 3 days - listen again .
Use the same steepness of digital filters in both units when you compare.
If there is still differences in the sound , with the same level and none of them is broken, the DX7 really is better .

The spdif inputs on E30II is inferior with much higher jitter - did you use spdif input ?
7E40D95D-043A-4F47-A872-0186B6E93517.png
B94573D5-34E7-464A-9225-107EB131CE48.png

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor

Big White

If there is still differences in the sound , with the same level and none of them is broken, the DX7 really is better .

The spdif inputs on E30II is inferior with much higher jitter - did you use spdif input ?
View attachment 276811View attachment 276812
Are there any toslink measurements of Topping e30 so I can see the jitter?

Toku

Major Contributor
The E30 ll's jitter measurements are for numerical comparison only and are much lower than the level that humans can perceive.

gegegege

View attachment 276811View attachment 276812

Both set to the same filter, short delay sharp roll off. Both use USB input. I though the E30II chip is newer than DX7s, maybe newer doesn't mean better? Or something other than the chip is making the difference?

Anderlfs

If your unit doesn't have any defects, I think you already start entering the subjective field, because in this thread there are people who said they found the E30-II too detailed for their taste compared to the previous E30, while you already say the opposite, that the DX7s is a lot clearer with a lot more details. The graphs shows It's a transparent DAC, as it has to be, and any difference reported is inaudible.

Hapo

...I wanted to return mine but waited too long...

...I got weary of dealing with the weird software controls and needing the remote...

...I remember not buying it before because of that...I should have listened...

...it's not like it doesn't work...

...it is just set up as a USB dac and I don't control anything...

Last edited:

Anderlfs

id love to see a newer third sample measured somewhere, as the guy on page 42 showed 10-20db worse results with coax and toslink. if some or many units are at that level then its a shame.
It would be nice. I didn´t stress to much on this test as he used a Topping D10B to source coaxial/toslink. In the worst scenario, he got "Fair" results to Toslink e "Good" to Coax.

Top Bottom