• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Are you a current Denon/Marantz AVR Owner and if so what do you think of Audyssey's MultEQ-X?

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I've already purchased it.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I’m willing to spend the money once I learn more.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower is better.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower lower is better.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• I'm not an owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• Other (please explain).

Results are only viewable after voting.

pmar4015

Does anyone know why when I import EQ filters from REW, the gains of each PEQ aren't also imported, only Freq and Q?
No. That is certainly odd. Did you save the PEQs generated in REW in ‘generic/text’ format as per the instructions in the Design Target Curve ——-> Import Parametric/Biquad EQ page?

montyliam

No. That is certainly odd. Did you save the PEQs generated in REW in ‘generic/text’ format as per the instructions in the Design Target Curve ——-> Import Parametric/Biquad EQ page?
Yes followed exactly, it imports Freq and Q properly just leaves all the gains as 0, makes the process 1000x longer!

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your second comment is interesting in that I have never fully understood if Audyssey suggested crossovers are based on the lowest frequency response the speaker can reasonably handle or rather the suggested XOVER is a function of whatever frequency provides the best ‘alignment’. I believe the former but am far from certain on that.

The 'crossover' for bass management that an AVR reports from Audyssey calibration is based on the measured sound at the mic position. That means a measure of the speaker output plus any SBIR (low frequency reinforcement effect of walls near the speaker) and room mode effects. It is NOT guaranteed to match the speaker's true 'crossover' for bass management i.e. the manufacturer's spec'ed F3 point (which should be the low frequency at which its on-axis output drops 3 dB in an anaechoic measurement). And thus the AVR reported crossover is not necessarily the lowest frequency that the speaker 'can reasonably handle'. These are all reasons why setting it at 80Hz (rather than an AVR-reported lower frequency) is typically recommended. Small speakers need to be set even higher than 80. 'Full range' towers *might* benefit from lower.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes followed exactly, it imports Freq and Q properly just leaves all the gains as 0, makes the process 1000x longer!
Strange. When I checked back then it worked. Well that does not mean it is not broken now. Could you file a report with Audyssey support please?

montyliam

Here are the AVR pre out measurements for the LFE channel and the front (left) channels, 24db slope for the sub, 12db slope for the fronts, adding a Butterworth high pass at the XO frequency (120hz), to get matching slopes for the sub and mains XO helped with the mains integration around that region.

Attachments

• AVR XO.jpg
    AVR XO.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 135

gorman

Just got a new Denon. While waiting for Dirac (if it gets a correct implementato), I would be curious to try this.

How much does one lose in functionality through the iOS app? I have a 12.9" iPad with Bluetooth mouse and I would rather go that way, considering pricing and licensing.

Also, is there a good tutorial anywhere? I am familiari with REW but no expert. I have a Umik-1.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just got a new Denon. While waiting for Dirac (if it gets a correct implementato), I would be curious to try this.

How much does one lose in functionality through the iOS app? I have a 12.9" iPad with Bluetooth mouse and I would rather go that way, considering pricing and licensing.

Also, is there a good tutorial anywhere? I am familiari with REW but no expert. I have a Umik-1.
I love MQX and prefer it to Dirac, especially when run with Dynamic EQ. I don't have any experience with the mobile app but I've read that it works quite well.

MQX requires a Windows PC to run. Definitely, worth it.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have both. The IOS App is better than the "regular Audyssey", the one you find in the AVR. It is however not precise, trying to "draw" a curve with fingers or BT mouse is tedious and not reliable: You may or, may not find the proper settings. MultEQ-X PC app is at a different level, a much better and more powerful application. It does have a learning curve but is IMHO worth the bother and expense. I was against it in the beginning, but have come to see it as indispensable. I haven't used and, don't know much about DIRAC. I do know, however despite the buzz, that there is no conclusive proof, that it is superior to Audyssey.
Currently and patiently working with MutEQ-X to fine-tune my system. I will post my REW measurements when done. I ran into a bizarre issue that I need to ascertain. It seems that Audyssey doesn't work with all app or software inputs on my AVR, a Denon AVR-X3400H, it could be a fault on the AVR itself. Audyssey definitely works with Spotify and on movies from the Apple TV 4K connected via HDMI.. It, "seems" to have issues with Apple Airplay when using Apple Music.
I will look into this more.

Questions to the collective: How can one use REW with Apple Airplay? IOW sending the test tones via Airplay? Is this at all possible?

Peace.

Last edited:

pmar4015

I love MQX and prefer it to Dirac, especially when run with Dynamic EQ. I don't have any experience with the mobile app but I've read that it works quite well.

MQX requires a Windows PC to run. Definitely, worth it.
I dont have DIRAC but I do have MULTEQ-X and I can say without hesitation that I agree wholeheartedly MULTEQ-X is worth it

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both. The IOS App is better than the "regular Audyssey", the one you find in the AVR. It is however not precise, trying to "draw" a curve with fingers or BT mouse is tedious and not relaible, you may or not find the proper settings. MultEQ-X PC app is at a different level, a much better and more powerful application. It does have a learning curve but is IMHO worth the bother and expense. I was against it in the beginning, but have come to see it as indispensable. I haven't use and, don't know much about DIRAC. I do know, however despite the buzz that there is no conclusive proof, that it is superior to Audyssey.
Currently and patiently working with MutEQ-X to fine-tune my system. I will post my REW measurements when done. I ran into a bizarre issue that I need to ascertain. It seems that Audyssey doesn't work with all app or software inputs on my AVR, a Denon AVR-X3400H, it could be a fault on the AVR itself. Audyssey definitely works with Spotify and on movies from the Apple TV 4K connected via HDMI.. It, "seems" to have issues with Apple Airplay when using Apple Music.
I will look into this more.

Questions to the collective: How can one use REW with Apple Airplay? IOW sending the test tones via Airplay? Is this at all possible?

Peace.
The measurements from REW are time sensitive, so you would need a “hard” wire connection, I suppose.

I usually use an HDMI cable connecting the Laptop with my X3700.

Koo

Still no updates to this software? I've been waiting for the promised feature for turning off the surround channel boost when using Dynamic EQ. I guess the development really took a hit when Jeff Clark left. It makes sense why D&M started looking into Dirac, at least it's being actively developed.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still no updates to this software? I've been waiting for the promised feature for turning off the surround channel boost when using Dynamic EQ. I guess the development really took a hit when Jeff Clark left. It makes sense why D&M started looking into Dirac, at least it's being actively developed.
The MultiEQX SW is updated regularly. Just had one about two weeks ago. Your feature request is not in it afik

pmar4015

It is true that the latest update (released a few weeks ago) does not contain the ability to delink the surround channels from DEQ however there are other features introduced in the latest release that are quite useful (notably the ability to to turn off the ‘auto leveling’ feature……..see post #2,889) https://www.avsforum.com/threads/audyssey-multeq-x.3228468/page-145#post-62403868

tesseractASR

After weeks of agonizing over the multitude of AVR choices, just pulled the trigger on a Denon X3800H.

I haven't seen anyone discuss trying both MultiEQ-X and Dirac Full on one AVR. Coming from the only other AVR I've ever owned, the Sherwood Newcastle R972 (Trinnov) and Emotiva separates (Dirac) I want to try Audyssey first. Grateful for this thread.

Last edited:

tjcinnamon

After weeks of agonizing over the multitude of AVR choices, just pulled the trigger on a Denon X3800H.

I haven't seen anyone discuss trying both MultiEQ-X and Dirac Full on one AVR. Coming from the only other AVR I've ever owned, the Sherwood Newcastle R972 (Trinnov) and Emotiva separates (Dirac) I want to try Audyssey first. Grateful for this thread.
Have you been able to set it up and try it?

tesseractASR

Have you been able to set it up and try it?
I did get XT32 going, thanks. Downloaded the 'phone app, ran Audyssey, shut off the Midrange Compensation, enabled Dynamic EQ as I live in an apartment, then chose the Reference curve. Sounds pretty darned good, especially the bass. This thread was extremely helpful.

I also uploaded a MS update to my laptop, which knocked out the sound. Couldn't run REW to verify Audysessy's corrections or even play Tidal, which was super annoying. Just finished a lengthy MS Restore. Will get REW up and running, then start editing Audyssey, if needed.

chych7

Recalibrated my system with the latest MultEQ-X 1.5 version with the ACM-1X calibrated mic. There are some new features available that directly affect the EQ algorithm, which cannot be reproduced in the phone app:
- Disable auto leveling, which lets you set a correct target curve across speakers and subwoofers
- EQ headroom expansion and cut limit control, which allows Audyssey to apply stronger EQ

After verification with REW, I'm quite happy with the results, getting curves that are true to the target. I'm not bothering with REW filter import now.

From youtube video:

1682475452932.png

1682475426554.png

tjcinnamon

Recalibrated my system with the latest MultEQ-X 1.5 version with the ACM-1X calibrated mic. There are some new features available that directly affect the EQ algorithm, which cannot be reproduced in the phone app:
- Disable auto leveling, which lets you set a correct target curve across speakers and subwoofers
- EQ headroom expansion and cut limit control, which allows Audyssey to apply stronger EQ

After verification with REW, I'm quite happy with the results, getting curves that are true to the target. I'm not bothering with REW filter import now.

From youtube video:

View attachment 281467

View attachment 281466
Neat stuff! I’m looking forward to seeing their next features. Seems like Active Room Treatment was a hard no from them. I’m surprised no one asked about phase correction.

Top Bottom