• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-A1H

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was buying my 8500, Denon insured customers that is "future proof". So much for that promise.
I guess they couldn't foresee technical changes 3-4 years ahead.

They did provide the upgrade option to HDMI2.1. It also has DTS: X Pro (not sure if that's a FW update after launch). In that sense, it is more up to date than the newer Antherm MRX1140 (as an example) doesn't have. It does not have Dirac Live upgrade path, that is the one like you said, they probably couldn't foresee.

squared80

When I was buying my 8500, Denon insured customers that is "future proof". So much for that promise.
I guess they couldn't foresee technical changes 3-4 years ahead.

What are you referring to. The 8500 was/is able to do just about anything you need. And if you wanted more than 1 40Gbps plugin (not sure why you would), you could buy an adapter.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are you referring to. The 8500 was/is able to do just about anything you need. And if you wanted more than 1 40Gbps plugin (not sure why you would), you could buy an adapter.
I'm referring to DIRAC live option that is only available on 3 new Denon receivers.

Frank207be

The "real" test will be if I (and my wife) can hear the difference when using Hypex Nilai 500 mono blocks for the L/R speakers. that's going to be a fun test day. If I can't hear the difference with the external amps I'll win with beast amps for the man cave (The HT room is "wife-owned" lol)
I'd certainly be interested in that comparison.
I have Focal Scala Utopia which are demanding speakers and the AVC-A1H drives them with ease. The Denon delivers strong and taut bass, excellent detail & transparancy, a wide soundstage and not even the faintest trace of stress so for me external amplification is no priority. If there is a clear difference this might change though :cool:

AngryZeus

I'd certainly be interested in that comparison.
I have Focal Scala Utopia which are demanding speakers and the AVC-A1H drives them with ease. The Denon delivers strong and taut bass, excellent detail & transparancy, a wide soundstage and not even the faintest trace of stress so for me external amplification is no priority. If there is a clear difference this might change though :cool:
Hypex shipping dates keep extending, currently estimated delivery mid-May

For the A1H + Polk L600's, for stereo, I listen at about 70-75 for volume. 75-77 volume gets to about 80-85db. Sounds amazing, no complaints yet yes, still curious for the Hypex Nilai's!

Frank207be

Hypex shipping dates keep extending, currently estimated delivery mid-May

For the A1H + Polk L600's, for stereo, I listen at about 70-75 for volume. 75-77 volume gets to about 80-85db. Sounds amazing, no complaints yet yes, still curious for the Hypex Nilai's!
Nice to hear! I listen between 50 and 65 but then my speakers have a 92dB/1W/1m sensitivity.
I could try my IceEdge 1200AS2 but that amp is connected in another set and I also have a pair of Hypex NC400 that needs a new power supply on one channel. As the AVC-A1H sounds so good on it's own the motivation to try these external power amps is quite low.
But hey I'm going to order that SMPS600 power supply next month and compare ;) Edit: this not going to happen as the NC400 of that channel got destroyed too. I just tested it with the intact SMPS600 and the module didn't start up.

Last edited:

FriedChicken

Doesn't have multi-channel input to work as a separate power amplifier.

What a tragedy.

AngryZeus

I've had the Hypex Nilai 500 mono blocks for a few weeks now, much comparison. and I cannot hear the diff between A1H and the Nilai mono blocks (good problem)

I have Polk L600 L/R and L400 currently and am adding L800's as new L/R so I will need the extra power after all but def cannot hear the difference (that probably change once I have added many more channels but for now, not worth it.

broncogr

Dirac Live®​

Dirac Live 3.6.5​

2023-06-07

Known problems​

• (warning)
    NAD devices get a significantly louder Dirac filter (louder Dirac ON than Dirac OFF) than with Dirac Live 3.4.4. We therefore recommend NAD users to stay with Dirac Live 3.4.4 until we have fixed that problem.
  • To downgrade from 3.5.1 (or higher) to 3.4.4 (or lower), users need to manually uninstall the higher version before installing the lower version.
    • Windows: Go to Windows Settings → Apps → Installed apps → Dirac Live → … → Uninstall
    • macOS: Running /Applications/Dirac/maintenancetool will uninstall the Dirac Live application
  • Filter export takes about 2 minutes longer than with Dirac Live 3.4.4 on Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra devices, but it completes eventually, so please have some extra patience.

Features​

• Active Room Treatment is now officially included for availability with supported devices.
  • Splash screen changed from "Dirac Live 3" to just "Dirac Live", thereby toning down importance of app version number when actually the connected device's capabilities are more relevant to the available feature set.
  • Dirac Live Bass Control features have changed labels in the Technology Selection panel:
    • "BC: Upmix only" → "Bass management"
    • "BC: Full optimisation" → "Bass Control"
  • Technology labels have been added in the left side panel filter slots:
    • RC = Dirac Live (Room Correction)
    • BM = Dirac Live with standard bass management crossovers
    • BC = Bass Control
    • ART = Active Room Treatment
  • More measurements than the required number for a seating configuration can now be added - either by just clicking "Measure" when the original mic positions have been filled, or, by clicking the "+" icon to create additional generic mic positions.
  • Measurements identified as imprecise will be highlighted. Therefore, a user can choose to re-take the measurement. With imprecise measurements present the output will be limited to only use minimum-phase filters.
  • The EULA is now also available in the About menu.

Fixes​

• In some cases, loading a project caused an error message with incorrect description.
  • The Dirac Live application crashed when switching between snapshots with different channel groupings.
  • Connecting certain microphones could sometimes cause the app to crash.
  • The microphone gain limits could sometimes show the wrong values after switching the selected microphone.
  • Loudspeaker icons in Volume Calibration view showed the wrong symbol for "unknown" speaker types.
  • Autosave projects did not work with some devices (reported on some Arcam and miniDSP devices).

Download​

Windows: https://artifacts.connect.dirac.com/public/accord/release/win64/diraclive-v3.6.5-setup.exe
macOS: https://artifacts.connect.dirac.com/public/accord/release/macos/diraclive-v3.6.5-setup.zip

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've had the Hypex Nilai 500 mono blocks for a few weeks now, much comparison. and I cannot hear the diff between A1H and the Nilai mono blocks (good problem)

I have Polk L600 L/R and L400 currently and am adding L800's as new L/R so I will need the extra power after all but def cannot hear the difference (that probably change once I have added many more channels but for now, not worth it.
If you get those L800’s, I’m not sure the hypex will work. You need a single-ended-output staged amplifier (meaning current should go through one terminal). If I recall Hypex a balanced architecture where power flows through both.

**not to be confused with balanced and single ended terminals**

I have the L800’s and they are the greatest!!!

Frank207be

Today I finally tried the IceEgde 1200AS/2 power amplifier on my AVC-A1H and it did improve the sound quite a bit. While the internal amps of the A1H are quite powerful and detailed, the 1200AS/2 adds more refinement in the midrange and treble. Also the sound presentation is more relaxed, natural and insightful. This confirms to me that the processor side is top notch.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I finally tried the IceEgde 1200AS/2 power amplifier on my AVC-A1H and it did improve the sound quite a bit. While the internal amps of the A1H are quite powerful and detailed, the 1200AS/2 adds more refinement in the midrange and treble. Also the sound presentation is more relaxed, natural and insightful. This confirms to me that the processor side is top notch.

Sorry to ask, did you do the comparison, sighted, level matched etc.? Not trying to imply anything, just curious to know, that's all.

Frank207be

Sorry to ask, did you do the comparison, sighted, level matched etc.? Not trying to imply anything, just curious to know, that's all.
No problem at all. I could not do A/B both combinations but I had to add 4dB to the main channels with the power amp connected.

I wish I could pinpoint the reason for the difference... Are my speakers to blame? Although they have a 92dB/1W/1m sensitivity, the Focal Scala Utopia are renown for being very power hungry but with the A1H alone I was constantly playing with the volume: too low and the dynamics obviously lacked and too hard the sound became nervous very rapidly. With movies and music this made me lower the volume very rapidly when the sound/action ramped up. OTOH with the 1200AS/2 the volume can stay between 65 and 80 while it stays composed, relaxed and natural and I really need to remind myself to keep the volume under 70 to protect my ears.

Of course I won't complain about the reduced heat production as a side effect. Today my wife looked a few Netflix episodes around volume 40 with auto ECO and the unit remains surprisingly cool this way.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem at all. I could not do A/B both combinations but I had to add 4dB to the main channels with the power amp connected.

I wish I could pinpoint the reason for the difference... Are my speakers to blame? Although they have a 92dB/1W/1m sensitivity, the Focal Scala Utopia are renown for being very power hungry but with the A1H alone I was constantly playing with the volume: too low and the dynamics obviously lacked and too hard the sound became nervous very rapidly. With movies and music this made me lower the volume very rapidly when the sound/action ramped up. OTOH with the 1200AS/2 the volume can stay between 65 and 80 while it stays composed, relaxed and natural and I really need to remind myself to keep the volume under 70 to protect my ears.

Of course I won't complain about the reduced heat production as a side effect. Today my wife looked a few Netflix episodes around volume 40 with auto ECO and the unit remains surprisingly cool this way.
If I had those speakers I would not drive them with any AVR amps regardless (I am sure the A1H can do a fine job under some conditions) and would use one of the most transparent ones that can output a ton of power such as Mc1kW or the most powerful Hypex, Purifi based power amps, or a pair of bridged Benchmark AHB2. I don't know the specs of the 1200S/2, are those 1200 W rated monblocks?

Frank207be

If I had those speakers I would not drive them with any AVR amps regardless (I am sure the A1H can do a fine job under some conditions) and would use one of the most transparent ones that can output a ton of power such as Mc1kW or the most powerful Hypex, Purifi based power amps, or a pair of bridged Benchmark AHB2. I don't know the specs of the 1200S/2, are those 1200 W rated monblocks?
Yes at mid-volumes the A1H controls these speakers very nicely with very strong bass and detail. But the stereo IceEdge 1200AS/2 with roughly 2x 600W (2x 280W continuous without thermal shutdown) lets these speakers really sing. I'd like to try the Hypex NC1200 or Purifi 1ET7040SA one day to check out if they sound even better.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Not unusual to have differences in levels needed with an external amp. How are you level matching generally?

Your experience with the change in amp is well beyond anything I've experienced in regards to such differences, could just be expectation bias. The new amp may be a bit more capable for low impedance loads, tho at typical listening levels shouldn't be any particular differences IMO/IME.

Top Bottom