• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 on Linux generally and Raspberry PI OS specifically

Razorhelm

I want to start a thread on the use of the Topping DM7 on Linux and specifically Raspberry PI OS, would be great to know if anyone has tested it on these.

My system uses a raspberry pi running camilladsp for filters and crossover, I would love to replace the DAC in the system with the DM7 but I would like to hear someone's experience of using it with a Linux based system first.

I have seen in the main thread that theoretically it is class compliant but I would like to hear a real world account before I buy.

Thanks

Will

I wonder if anyone has tried connecting the DM7 to a BlueSound node. As I've read, the Node is Linux based and can support USB DACs. When I playback a 6 channel FLAC to my Node, it correctly flags it as 6 channel (5.1). It will play the Left and Right through an outboard USB DAC (2 channel: Topping E30II). I don't have a DM7 to test with.

Any insights from folks?

TIA

OP
Razorhelm

Razorhelm

Would you be able to buy a cheap multi channel dac to test?

If that works I would be relatively confident the topping DM7 would because I used it as an almost plug and play replacement for one on my raspberry pi system.

Would you be able to buy a cheap multi channel dac to test?

If that works I would be relatively confident the topping DM7 would because I used it as an almost plug and play replacement for one on my raspberry pi system.
I haven't really found one cheaper that has multichannel. I did get a soundblaster X4 but then read that it needs its proprietary windows drivers. No linux there.

If you know of any models that are linux ready, let me know.

I could just order and try a DM7.

MCH

Major Contributor
I haven't really found one cheaper that has multichannel. I did get a soundblaster X4 but then read that it needs its proprietary windows drivers. No linux there.

If you know of any models that are linux ready, let me know.

I could just order and try a DM7.
asus xonar u7. you find them used for 30 euros around here. they work with linux:

asus xonar u7. you find them used for 30 euros around here. they work with linux:

Can't seem to find one for less than ~$150USD here. At that rate almost content spending $500 to get the TOPPING DM7 to test out.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Not sure if the CM6206 based 5.1 USB devices use UAC2 or not, but they're widely available around £15 so might be worth a try.

OP
Razorhelm

Razorhelm

Have you tried the sound blaster x4?
My cheap card is an old creative one and it worked fine, it was a Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro.

OP
Razorhelm

Razorhelm

Not sure if the CM6206 based 5.1 USB devices use UAC2 or not, but they're widely available around £15 so might be worth a try.
I have used one of these (on a raspberry pi) and it also worked fine

Last edited:
I have used one of these (on a raspberry pi) and it also worked fine
I ordered and will try a CM6206 based DAC solution. I did try the Creative X4. No luck. Not sure about 8 channels vs 6 channels also. I have some 7.1 music that won't play at all on the Node. 5.1 channel music will play (albeit through 2 channels of the DAC) without mixdown. That may confound things if 6 is supported, but not 8....

SO I tried the CM6206 and the Node recognized it but then hard rebooted. Wasn't able to check the outputs. WIll try again.

CM6206 works with Node but only outputs from 2 channels, even when FLAC files are 6 channel

Does BluOS Node support multichannel playback? https://support.bluos.net/hc/en-us/...manage-the-Audio-Settings-on-my-BluOS-player- talks only about stereo.
It is not advertised as having multichannel capability. That is correct. However, I have 6 channel FLAC files from DVD-Audio or BluRay discs that play on the Node and report that they are 6 channel when you look at the technical info for the files when they're playing. The FR and FL channels play out the analog outputs (or out the two channels of my external USB DAC when connected)

I wondered if this was just an unsupported capability. The Node is essentially a Linux ARM based platform like a Raspberry Pi, which can handle multichannel.

I corresponded with Bluesound and the rep said that it was not a capability of the Node. I requested that they consider it as a capability. He said he would pass that message along. I'd actually pay a few extra bucks to see that capability. I would need a new DAC and amp setup, but given the landscape of consumer grade products, I think it fits a niche.

312elements

Out of curiosity... Let's say hypothetically that you had a DM7 connected to a Rpi with a dac hat. Something that had a spdif input. Could you then plug your TV or whatever into the DAC hat and output via the DM7?

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It could be a problem. The DM7 and the TV are both providing clock. The TV is providing timing via the the data stream while the DM7 is controlling clocking by managing the rate at which blocks of data are delivered over the USB port.

312elements

It could be a problem. The DM7 and the TV are both providing clock. The TV is providing timing via the the data stream while the DM7 is controlling clocking by managing the rate at which blocks of data are delivered over the USB port.
Great point! Isn't USB asynchronous? Meaning that the TV audio signal is going to be reclocked anyway? (apologies in advance if I got the terminology wrong.)

Top Bottom