• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Impressions: Budget All-in-One LOXJIE A30 Integrated/Headphone Amplifier

sound67

After successfully implementing the tube-hybrid mini amplifiers Aiyima T9 and T9 Pro (and an unsuccessful test with the Nobsound B100), I was curious to give a tube-less mini amplifier a try, and my choice is the Loxjie A30, which qualifies as an all-in-one budget solution with enough inputs (5x) for my setup and a headphone amplifier on top (which I don't really need). It's a 2.1 integrated amp that you can connect to an active subwoofer, like the other two.

In practice, the A30 has one input less than the T9/T9 Pro, as the RCA analogue input and the coax cannot be used simultaneously. One of the RCA inputs is used for either coax or the analogue right channel. Never seen such an implementation before.

The amplifier arrives in a prosaic but sturdy box carton with the model name and a sketch of what the unit looks like. Inside there is a rubber foam filling with three compartments for the unit itself, one for the remote control, and one for the remaining accessories (mains adapter, USB-A to micro-USB cable for PC connection, and the BT antenna).

IMG-20230306-140832.jpg
IMG-20230306-140912.jpg

There are no audio cables included. Also (as usual), no AAA batteries for the remote control.
IMG-20230306-152108.jpg

As expected, the instruction manual (English/Chinese) can only be called "basic". Very basic. Inadequate, really.

The design of the unit itself is sleek and modern. On the front you get the multi-colour IPS display, the headphone output and one single knob that controls not only the volume but all the menu options, too.

IMG-20230306-141622.jpg

The medium-grey matte finish is flawless, and the manufacturing quality excellent considering the modest asking price.
IMG-20230306-141642.jpg

The inputs on the back are cleanly laid-out. The stereo connections for the speakers are best served with banana plus as the posts can only take speaker cables up to 2.5mm in diameter. The RCA input on the left doubles as right channel analogue and coax. The line out for your active subwoofer is also connected via a single RCA output unlike the stereo jack on the Aiyimas. Which means I have to get an RCA Y-cable before I can hook up the A30 to my Elac sub.

Because the BT antenna is mounted at a right angle and cannot be swung out, it's imperative that you mount the antenna first, before plugging in any other connections.

The "laptop-style" power supply is supposed to deliver 24V / 6.5A, but a review here on Audio Science Science Review (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...oxjie-a30-amplifier-review.17547/#post-569056) suggests that it delivers much less. If I decide to keep the Loxjie I might need to get a higher-quality power supply that delivers power as advertised.
IMG-20230306-152123.jpg

Once you've mounted the BT antenna, the remaining set-up is easy-peasy. My other devices occupy all the existing connections, RCA analogue (CD Player by Brennan), and Toslink (LG BR Player and Wiim Mini streamer, so I'm using a Toslink splitter).

The Loxjie A30 is an integrated 2.1 stereo amplifier and a headphone amp (100mW max) with a built-in DAC (an ESS "Sabre" ES9023) which delivers hi-res audio. The unit cannot be turned off completely, but it needs only 0.5W in standby. Not a big issue.

The IR remote included is nicely laid-out and feels decent. I don't think the "Level"-buttons on the bottom right have any function at all though. The range of the IR is vedry good indeed, and its frequency doesn't overlap with my other devices, including my Samsung TV.
IMG-20230306-152150.jpg

Both the front knob and the remote cover all of the unit's functions.

The IPS display comes in very handy, as it is big enough for you to see the current input from 6 feet and more away. If you dig into the menu, you'll have to move closer to the unit.
IMG-20230308-151453.jpg

The "EQ" function includes several different DSP modes: Direct, Bass, Super-Bass, Rock, Soft, Tone and Clear.
You can only in- or decrease bass and treble in the TONE mode (+/- 10db in 1db steps). If you do, the unit automatically switches to the TONE mode. Sadly, there is no full EQ to manipulate different frequencies. Up close, the menu display is clear, the layout simple and streamlined.

All the settings will be saved if you put the Loxjie in Standby, and you can set the volume for the speakers and the headphones separately!

The A30 is powered by an Infineon "Merus" MA 1270 chip (unlike the Texas Instruments chip used in the Aiyimas) which can deliver up to 80 watts per channel into 4 ohm speakers, or it could if the power supply were as strong as advertised.

My setup includes a pair of efficient Klipsch Reference RB-75 large bookshelves (97db sensitivity or thereabouts). The A30 is advertised mainly as a desktop amplifier, but I'm using it in my 20 sqm bedroom as a hifi amp. The volume ranges from 0 to 60, and at 25 the A30 already delivers a sound level that more than fills the room ("Zimmerlautstärke") from my TV via Toslink. I expect I have to dial it up quite a bit for my DVDs/BDs.

I'm planning to test the different DSP modes and inputs tonight, but for a final subjective verdict I'll have to wait until my new subwoofer cable arrives. Also, to test the headphone jack I need to locate (or buy) a 3.5mm to 6.35 adapter for my old AKG K271 Studio headphones. These past few years I've been using wireless headphones exclusively.

Out of the box, the Loxjie A30 sounds clean and punchy, with no discernible noise or hum coming from the speakers.

IMG-20230308-140912.jpg

OP
sound67

sound67

Did some movie watching and music listening last night. Even with the supposedly weak power supply included and at a technically lower power than the T9 Pro I needed to dial up the Loxjie less than the Aiyima, finding comfortable listening levels at 28/60 (TV, Toslink), 35/60 (DVD,Toslink & Analogue), and 30/60 (pop music, Wiim, Toslink) under the same conditions.

Hapo

...thanks for posting this...we read Amir's 2020 review, but we like as biased opinion as well...

...I like the Aiyama A07 I am replacing with a Loxjie A30 and hoped not to give up too much...

...there is still time to cancel the order...LoL...

"The line out for your active subwoofer is also connected via a single RCA output unlike the stereo jack on the Aiyimas. Which means I have to get an RCA Y-cable before I can hook up the A30 to my Elac sub."

Mosello

Did some movie watching and music listening last night. Even with the supposedly weak power supply included and at a technically lower power than the T9 Pro I needed to dial up the Loxjie less than the Aiyima, finding comfortable listening levels at 28/60 (TV, Toslink), 35/60 (DVD,Toslink & Analogue), and 30/60 (pop music, Wiim, Toslink) under the same conditions.

Apart from the Loxjie being "louder" which one of the the 2 had better sound via Toslink, which of the 2 would you keep based on sound quality. There is a sale on aliexpress I want to pull the trigger for a soundbar replacement but still undecided between the two. I was leaning more towards the T9 pro with a 32v psu because some here say the Loxjie is thinner and low power.

OP
sound67

sound67

There is no definitive answer to that. The Loxjie certainly doesn't sound "thin", maybe a teensy bit more compressed in the highs than the Aiyima. On my speakers, I had the two set to a slight bump in the highs and achieved very similar results. Comparing two amps is difficult as you cannot simply switch between them, and I found the sound difference to be minor (I got to say that I think the impact of different amps with the same set of speakers is generally overrated. I once owned a $6,500 amp from ASR (German company) that I thought did not sound better or markedly different than the 5.1 Denon Home Theatre amp I had previously owned, with the same speaker pair attached).

The Loxjie drove my 97db Klipsch RB-75's just as easily as it did the 86db ELAC Debut 6.1's for the very short time I owned the latter.

OP
sound67

sound67

Unfortunately, I had to send the Loxjie back this morning. Suddenly, yesterday, I experienced a notable volume drop-off in the subwoofer connection, as well as loud "bump" sounds when changing from one DSP to another, which didn't occur before.

So, because I want a pure Class D amp, I'm now ordering another Aiyima product, the Aiyima D 03. Same number of inputs as the Loxjie (and the Aiyima T9/T9 Pro), slightly more power than either (2x 150W into 4 Ohms, supposedly, but maybe about half than that in reality).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fr6

Mosello

There have been many post about loxjie poor build quality. When are you getting your DO3 so that you can compare with the T9 pro?

Last edited:
OP
sound67

sound67

They are not DSP modes… all of it happens in the analog domain ;)
Sorry, I meant the different "EQ" settings: Direct, Bass, Rock, etc. Until yesterday switching from one to another produced no noise, now it produces a loud "bump" every time.

For the replacement I was torn between the Aiyima D03 and the D05. They use two different D/A chips, with slightly different power ratings, that's really the only difference I could find.

Last edited:

yodog

Sorry, I meant the different "EQ" settings: Direct, Bass, Rock, etc. Until yesterday switching from one to another produced no noise, now it produces a loud "bump" every time.

For the replacement I was torn between the Aiyima D03 and the D05. They use two different D/A chips, with slightly different power ratings, that's really the only difference I could find.

How’s your replacement been?

OP
sound67

sound67

I bought the Aiyima D03, and it's working nicely.

IMG_20230324_151643.jpg

harash

How does it compare to loxjie? Which sound better?

Last edited:
OP
sound67

sound67

I'm a happy camper. Sound is fine with my Klipsch RB-75's.

mszczuwoj

Can you disable Bluetooth radio in Loxjie A30? I don't mean to clear the saved pairings.
I mean to turn it off.
I know you can in Topping MX5...
I tried to find it in the A30 manual I found in the internet and I can't see such option...

Top Bottom