• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Toku

Major Contributor
Toku, I know you have tried many Class D amplifiers, and I appreciate your reviews of these.
I would be interested to know what speakers you have.

You're on the wrong forum, by the way.
I used to use mid-class speakers like JBL, B&O, Vienna Acoustics, Victor, Denon, YMAHA, etc.
But I didn't like the characteristics of multi-unit speakers. Currently I use home made speakers using full range and coaxial type units.
The speakers that I mainly use now use multiple full-range units from the Taiwanese manufacturer TangBand. I also use units from the British brand Markaudio. Recently, I added Quad S-2 in addition to my homemade speakers.
In my case, speakers are mainly for checking the sound quality of audio equipment rather than listening to music.
Recently, however, I have become unable to hear high-pitched sounds due to my aging. Now I can't hear much above 13kHz.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
... The speakers that I mainly use now use multiple full-range units from the Taiwanese manufacturer TangBand. I also use units from the British brand Markaudio. Recently, I added Quad S-2 in addition to my homemade speakers.
In my case, speakers are mainly for checking the sound quality of audio equipment rather than listening to music.
Recently, however, I have become unable to hear high-pitched sounds due to my aging. Now I can't hear much above 13kHz.
Hi Toku

I find that very interesting, because I also have been dealing with full-range speakers for many years and did it over and over again. Most recently with very large ones from Lii Audio. I also remember well a visit at Susumu Sakuma in Tateyama in Japan, who also had built an unconventional multi-speaker system with Lowther fullrange drivers that sounded very nice.

Could you please show a photo of your setup?

This is my Lii-Audio speaker setup:

lii-audiof15.jpg

CauliflowerEars

I just purchased both the SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk-3 and Topping E30 Mk-2, to test and choose. So far, listened to two tracks and somehow, my first impression is that E30 is more ... analogue, dry, piercing and the Sanskrit Mk-3 more ... full bodied, warm, pleasant (pardon my amateur vocab). I had a similar impression when listening to KEF Q350 vs ELAC DBR-62. I much prefer the look of the Topping, but so far ... sounds like SMSL is better ...
Setup: MacBookPro 2012 -USB -> DAC-coax -> Pioneer a-505r -> Elac DBR-62.

1. Does anyone have experience with SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk-3 VS Topping E30 Mk-2?
2. Can one somehow test the multitone at home? What does multitone affect, really? Not sure what it is, but remember the argument was that E30 Mk-2 has better multitone vs Sanskrit, but Mk-2, not 3.
3. What's a good way to compare two DACs? I just listened to those (on Spotify free):
a. Eva Cassidy - Ain't no sunshine:
b. Art Blakey - Moanin' (Remastered):

CauliflowerEars

I just purchased both the SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk-3 and Topping E30 Mk-2, to test and choose. So far, listened to two tracks and somehow, my first impression is that E30 is more ... analogue, dry, piercing and the Sanskrit Mk-3 more ... full bodied, warm, pleasant (pardon my amateur vocab). I had a similar impression when listening to KEF Q350 vs ELAC DBR-62. I much prefer the look of the Topping, but so far ... sounds like SMSL is better ...
Setup: MacBookPro 2012 -USB -> DAC-coax -> Pioneer a-505r -> Elac DBR-62.
OK, just had a more focused listening session and chose the E30, as it has more detail, clarity and highs. Makes music much more exciting.
SMSL seemed a bit ... muddy. Didn't play with SMSL's filters, though. E30 was listened on the default filter.
(when I wrote the first post, I forgot I had less bass and more treble on the amp, as was watching 007 the night before)

For me, E30 + DBR-62 is a good pairing, as the DAC adds highs and clarity to the supposed 'laid back' sound of the Elac's. Ah, so happy.

Anderlfs

Topping E30-II DAC was a great investiment for me, as I was using a battery-powered iFi DAC and needed a properly powered one for longer listenings. Added detail, clarity and excitment to my 40's ears. For those struggling to find a proper phone charger, as I was, I ended buying - for a piece of mind - an IKEA Koppla Charger 5V/2.4A, after reading zermak's post suggesting a charger index with tested chargers regarding safety, noise, standard. It´s outdated, but this Ikea has a good measure, Is still available and is cheap. I considered a Jameco Linear Power Supply delivered by Amazon, but I prefered a cheap charger that can be used with other things after reading this amirm's post testing a LPS.

doughnutforlife

I gonna use Toslink is my main input and sounds like topping e30 has some issue with Toslink input.

Are there any better DAC with good Toslink input? Or just get the e30 ii, Toslink not gonna be a big deal?

Hapo

...I don't think I am sending my E30II back, but there is this...excellent @ all outputs...

...mark 3...

linuxfan

Currently I use home made speakers using full range and coaxial type units.
Thank you. So your amplifier reviews are especially relevant for me - I have Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 fullrange speakers, in Onken-style cabinets designed by Planet 10.
I highly recommend Class D amps with the TPA3221 chip.

dMar-Ken7.3mT.jpg

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi Toku

I find that very interesting, because I also have been dealing with full-range speakers for many years and did it over and over again. Most recently with very large ones from Lii Audio. I also remember well a visit at Susumu Sakuma in Tateyama in Japan, who also had built an unconventional multi-speaker system with Lowther fullrange drivers that sounded very nice.

Could you please show a photo of your setup?

This is my Lii-Audio speaker setup:

View attachment 273532
Thank you. So your amplifier reviews are especially relevant for me - I have Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 fullrange speakers, in Onken-style cabinets designed by Planet 10.
I highly recommend Class D amps with the TPA3221 chip.

View attachment 273966
The picture is the speaker I use for equipment testing.
Photo 1 is a bass reflex type speaker that uses a TangBand W4-1798S unit with an aluminum honeycomb flat diaphragm and a Markaudio PLUVIA7 HD unit.
Photo 2 is a bass reflex type using the unit of Markaudio Alpair 10.
I made a few more, but my favorite is the TangBand W4-1798S bass reflex in Photo 1. This unit has excellent sound resolution.
In my applications, I often use it in the near field, and the full range unit is easier to use.

I have already tested the TPA3221 amplifier. I think it's a well made chip.

Attachments

• Photo_1.jpg
    Photo_1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Photo_2.jpg
    Photo_2.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 61

CauliflowerEars

...I don't think I am sending my E30II back, but there is this...excellent @ all outputs...

...mark 3...

I just received both e30 and Sanskrit 10 mk-3. Preferred e30 due to more clarity, details and high tones. Made music more exciting, paired with my ‘laid back’ Elac DBR-62 … Didn’t know the e30 has issues with Optical, though … When listening through USB, it was superb, but optical from WiiM Mini sounds muffled … I thought I was done with equipment research and now seems more work :/

CauliflowerEars

I gonna use Toslink is my main input and sounds like topping e30 has some issue with Toslink input.

Are there any better DAC with good Toslink input? Or just get the e30 ii, Toslink not gonna be a big deal?
I’d be interested to find out as well. Just tested the e30 last night and it sounded great through USB. Then connected WiiM Mini through Toslink and while streaming, the music sounded muffled. It was late already and used the Toslink cable the DAC came with.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The picture is the speaker I use for equipment testing.
Photo 1 is a bass reflex type speaker that uses a TangBand W4-1798S unit with an aluminum honeycomb flat diaphragm and a Markaudio PLUVIA7 HD unit.
Photo 2 is a bass reflex type using the unit of Markaudio Alpair 10.
I made a few more, but my favorite is the TangBand W4-1798S bass reflex in Photo 1. This unit has excellent sound resolution.
In my applications, I often use it in the near field, and the full range unit is easier to use.

I have already tested the TPA3221 amplifier. I think it's a well made chip.
Thank you Toku,

now I can get a good picture of it. Very nice - beautiful woodwork!

Such small modern full range drivers can sound very good if you use them in the near field and don't push them too hard in a larger room. One can build enclosures for them very easily. Many years ago I built a small cabinet with the similar Jordan JX92 drivers and demonstrated it in a circle of audio friends, and it sounded very impressive to them. Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of it.

I also tried this driver in a large horn speaker. But that was a failure.

Hapo

"When listening through USB, it was superb, but optical from WiiM Mini sounds muffled"

Anderlfs

Ohh.. that. I think It was about jitter or some drop out that happened with e30, real issues.

Big White

"When listening through USB, it was superb, but optical from WiiM Mini sounds muffled"
I switched from E30 to E30II, I was thinking of using it in wiim mini, I didn't see any problem in the optical performance of e30, I think e30II can't be worse than e30

Top Bottom