• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately, I already tried all possible dip combinations without success :(

Shame. I really hoped that was going to be an easy fix.

Like @amirm I'd be interested if the crackling is affected by the DAC volume setting. I assume you've got the speakers on 0 dB?

Do you get crackling with no music playing?

(This is probably obvious but I'll just say there certainly isn't a universal issue with SU-8 balanced outs as mine work fine into my power amp.)

THEV

Does the crackling go away if you lower the volume good bit on the SMSL?

If I lower the volume the crackling also softens until it becomes inaudible, however, it doesn't matter where I lower the volume to achieve this.
On normal listening volumes with my SU8 volume set between 20-30 the crackling is clearly present.

Shame. I really hoped that was going to be an easy fix.

Like @amirm I'd be interested if the crackling is affected by the DAC volume setting. I assume you've got the speakers on 0 dB?

Do you get crackling with no music playing?

(This is probably obvious but I'll just say there certainly isn't a universal issue with SU-8 balanced outs as mine work fine into my power amp.)

Yes the monitors are set to 0 dB, the crackling is only present when playing music mostly audible during high frequencies. What volume do you set your SU8 to for normal listening levels?

EDIT: I sent recordings of the XLR-XLR and RCA-RCA to Kali Audio and they replied that they don't believe its the speakers, and that power supply to the LP6 could be the problem. I am using the included power supply and the ones that I had laying around including the ones I use for T5Vs do not change anything. I uploaded the recordings and linked them since I can not upload .wav files directly, I did not change volumes between recordings so RCA will naturally be louder.

(Between 0.14 and 0.17 the crackles are most clear IMO)
RCA-RCA Recording
XLR-XLR Recording

Last edited:

badyard

If I lower the volume the crackling also softens until it becomes inaudible, however, it doesn't matter where I lower the volume to achieve this.
On normal listening volumes with my SU8 volume set between 20-30 the crackling is clearly present.

Yes the monitors are set to 0 dB, the crackling is only present when playing music mostly audible during high frequencies. What volume do you set your SU8 to for normal listening levels?

EDIT: I sent recordings of the XLR-XLR and RCA-RCA to Kali Audio and they replied that they don't believe its the speakers, and that power supply to the LP6 could be the problem. I am using the included power supply and the ones that I had laying around including the ones I use for T5Vs do not change anything. I uploaded the recordings and linked them since I can not upload .wav files directly, I did not change volumes between recordings so RCA will naturally be louder.

(Between 0.14 and 0.17 the crackles are most clear IMO)
RCA-RCA Recording
XLR-XLR Recording

Under your SU-8 there is a switch for power supply input voltage, make sure i'ts set in the correct specification of your country.
In my case i'ts 230V because i'm in Europe.

THEV

Under your SU-8 there is a switch for power supply input voltage, make sure i'ts set in the correct specification of your country.
In my case i'ts 230V because i'm in Europe.
Yeah I assume the visible voltage is the selected one, its correctly set then unfortunately.
May I ask what OS and drivers you are using?

badyard

I have the same unfortunately, Linux also does not makes a difference. Do you have all your audio equipment plugged in to the same outlet or different ones?
All into the same outlet.

I suggest you to try something else into your Kali speakers XLR's inputs. Even if it's an unbalanced source, (ex. RCA to XLR or Stereo jack to XLR).
If the problem persists it's gonna be clearly your speakers, if the problem disappear then it's a faulty DAC.

THEV

All into the same outlet.

I suggest you to try something else into your Kali speakers XLR's inputs. Even if it's an unbalanced source, (ex. RCA to XLR or Stereo jack to XLR).
If the problem persists it's gonna be clearly your speakers, if the problem disappear then it's a faulty DAC.

I wish it was that simple,
  • Dac->RCA->XLR->Kali: No issue
  • Dac->RCA->RCA->Kali: No issue
  • Dac->XLR->XLR->Adam T5V: No issue
  • Dac->XLR->RCA->Adam T5V: No issue
  • Dac->XLR->XLR->Kali: Distortion
  • Dac->XLR->RCA->Kali: Distortion
Basically, the XLR output of the SU8 doesn't like the Kali LP6s but has no problem with the Adam T5Vs.

Ultrasonic

What volume do you set your SU8 to for normal listening levels?

For CDs typically around 20 but higher for video sources. I've just tested across the full volume range and it works fine at any level though.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Ultrasonic

That sounds like an amplifier that is damaged. So I say it is the XLR input stage that is blown on the speaker.

@THEV am I right in thinking you said it affects both speakers?

THEV

@THEV am I right in thinking you said it affects both speakers?
That sounds like an amplifier that is damaged. So I say it is the XLR input stage that is blown on the speaker.

Indeed both speakers are affected by the problem. I am going to see if I can try them out in a different house tomorrow hoping there is something wrong with the power throughout my current home.

Ultrasonic

Indeed both speakers are affected by the problem. I am going to see if I can try them out in a different house tomorrow hoping there is something wrong with the power throughout my current home.

I'm struggling to think of any way the problem could be caused by a mains supply issue. Particularly as the issue is with XLR but not RCA.

JohnnyTwoFingers

The photo on the page 5th,#100.Thank you so much.
Thanks SMSL-Mandy,
I've seen those photos, but a photo before the changes are made would be useful, especially indicating the anode of the diode (I don't know where it is on the board) before and after detachment.
Hope you can help

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Thanks SMSL-Mandy,
I've seen those photos, but a photo before the changes are made would be useful, especially indicating the anode of the diode (I don't know where it is on the board) before and after detachment.
Hope you can help
Do you have some friend who had basic electronic knowledge? I don't suggest you made it by yourself. Thanks.

Kane1972

If using this with a JDS Atom, would it be best to use the RCA outs from the DAC, or go from the XLR's into a balanced to unbalanced converter and then in to the Atom? Is the RCA output from the Topping D50 better than the RCA from the SMSL? Thanks

THEV

If using this with a JDS Atom, would it be best to use the RCA outs from the DAC, or go from the XLR's into a balanced to unbalanced converter and then in to the Atom?

Straight RCA would be better, avoid converters if not necessary

Kane1972

Straight RCA would be better, avoid converters if not necessary
Yeah, I would have thought that is the best route. I really with JDS did a balanced version of the Atom. So does the D50 test better than the SU8 (v2) via RCA?

THEV

I am relatively new to the audio world so look for more opinions, but from the reviews it seems that they both are excellent value and similar in performance. I think you should look at their features and what you need or might need in the future, the SU8 has balanced outputs in addition to RCA out and a remote control while the D50 only supports RCA and no remote control.

Top Bottom