• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8331 vs 8341, looking for a comparison and buying advice

Suggestion

Votes: 7 17.9%

Votes: 32 82.1%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
My vote is for Neumann KH150s + miniDSP FLEX (DL) TRS + a subwoofer of your choice. I have 8331s in my office at work and personally, I found the KH150s better sounding than the 8331s and not by a small margin. Now, the 8341s and 8351s are another story but the price difference does not justify the spending.

IMG_6821.jpeg

Last edited:

MrSoul4470

My vote is for Neumann KH150s + miniDSP FLEX (DL) TRS + a subwoofer of your choice. I have 8331s in my office at work and personally, I found the KH150s better sounding than the 8331s and not by a small margin. Now, the 8341s and 8351s are another story but the price difference does not justify the spending.

View attachment 253624
The Genelec house sound is really different than the Neumann house sound. I think it's really a matter of personal taste and preference.

Choosing 8331/8341/8351/8361 to me simply depends on listening distance. But I would always prefer the 8331 at 1m distance to the 8361 at 3m. Closer is better. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The Genelec house sound is really different than the Neumann house sound. I think it's really a matter of personal taste and preference.

Choosing 8331/8341/8351/8361 to me simply depends on listening distance. But I would always prefer the 8331 at 1m distance to the 8361 at 3m. Closer is better. But that's just my opinion.
You can listen to 8361 @1 meter or 5 meters , so they're more practical than 8331
But obviously much more expensive too

MrSoul4470

MrSoul4470

You can listen to 8361 @1 meter or 5 meters , so they're more practical than 8331
But obviously much more expensive too
I wouldn't want those huge 8361 only 1m in front of my nose.

mj30250

View attachment 253624
I'm curious, what do you find better sounding with the Neumanns? I'm considering being stupid and springing for an "end game" desktop setup, and the 8331s have been a frontrunner. I'm just having difficulty justifying the high cost considering they'd be used primarily for playing background tunes while I work. I would think that a high quality coaxial would offer welcome advantages at such a short listening distance.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm curious, what do you find better sounding with the Neumanns? I'm considering being stupid and springing for an "end game" desktop setup, and the 8331s have been a frontrunner. I'm just having difficulty justifying the high cost considering they'd be used primarily for playing background tunes while I work. I would think that a high quality coaxial would offer welcome advantages at such a short listening distance.
I think it is difficult to justify, especially for casual tunes where you would not need dramatic SPL. I would at least consider Neumann KH80: it's $4000 less for the pair and they don't run out of gas for that use, and they're flat all the way to wherever you cross your subwoofer. Maybe the coaxial opens a direct portal to heaven, but in my experience it's the room and integration that accomplishes this more than it is differences between two very high quality speakers.

bodhi

Forum Donor
I think it is difficult to justify, especially for casual tunes where you would not need dramatic SPL. I would at least consider Neumann KH80: it's $4000 less for the pair and they don't run out of gas for that use, and they're flat all the way to wherever you cross your subwoofer. Maybe the coaxial opens a direct portal to heaven, but in my experience it's the room and integration that accomplishes this more than it is differences between two very high quality speakers.
I agree even as a Genelec fanboy. I don't think you should buy Genelec if the price really hurts and you just want good sound.

You pay so much for the brand, looks and almost magical aura attached to them.

It's even worse if you have to spend all your budget to limited setup like the smaller ones without a sub.

HooStat

Cost is directly proportional to bass response and loudness needs. So figure out those requirements first.

Listen to music with a sound level meter. Figure out what your realistic SPL needs are at your listening position.

Then, given that preferences for sound are highly weighted towards bass, make a decision about your subwoofer placement options.

Then find a system of subwoofers AND speakers that meets your needs. And, if you are willing to cross your subs higher than 80 Hz, you can get great sound for less money because you won't need your monitors to play as much bass. Just for perspective, the Genelec 8030 play as loudly as the KEF LS50 Meta and they come with amps. Don't be afraid to use "small" speakers if they meet your needs.

Having said this people will tell you it needs to be louder or that you can't cross over above 80 Hz. But if you read through these forums you will find that neither is absolute truth. It is really what you prefer that matters. And if you make a mistake, you can always upgrade your monitors. You probably won't need to upgrade your subs. Which means the final recommendation is to buy monitors that you can resell relatively easily.

It is an experiment to some degree, but that should be part of the fun and challenge.

napfkuchen

I am always stunned how different personal preferences and experiences are. Finally my 8331As have moved to the wall and listening distance varies between 1,10m and 1,50m. For the 8341s premium you can also get a 7350 sub. My desk is quite large as I need it for home-office, and after choosing 80 Hz crossover reflections/cancellations of the surface are not such an issue for me anymore.
At 1,50m distance the combo 8331+7350 is enough for my needs (80-90 dBSPL, sometimes maybe up to 95 dBSPL), but for longer listening distances they might run out of juice.

IMG20230212193228.jpg

Subwoofer3k.jpg

sajgre

It also depends what kind of music are you listening. My 7350 (with 8330) are more than capable for anything but electronic music. I rarely listen to it but when I do I could use more spl

Blue Puma

I was faced with the same exact choice, and went with the 41s.
I was thinking about the 7351b too, but I just decided they would be too big on my desk, too heavy to easily move for the rare occasions I want to move them, and I would probably end up getting the sub anyway. Oh, and 50 percent more expensive.

Sparky

Forum Donor
This may seem like a bit of an odd question seen as though I've owned the 8341's for quite some time now but the volume scale within the GLM software, is that a maximum limit setting or a standard operating volume? I am struggling with high output to my devices where, with my RME ADI2 Pro's volume dial set to around -50, I am already at approx 70dB!! I would prefer the 75dB point to be at a more standard volume of around -25 on the RME so I can take advantage of the Loudness function.

I have clearly made a mistake somewhere along the line.............

Sparky

Forum Donor
I am always stunned how different personal preferences and experiences are. Finally my 8331As have moved to the wall and listening distance varies between 1,10m and 1,50m. For the 8341s premium you can also get a 7350 sub. My desk is quite large as I need it for home-office, and after choosing 80 Hz crossover reflections/cancellations of the surface are not such an issue for me anymore.
At 1,50m distance the combo 8331+7350 is enough for my needs (80-90 dBSPL, sometimes maybe up to 95 dBSPL), but for longer listening distances they might run out of juice.

View attachment 264344

View attachment 264347
Looks spot on!! Like the layout of your setup too!! :)

Blue Puma

You can set the sensitivity in the GLM software and there is a pot on the back of the speaker too. I believe they come with it cranked...

Sparky

Forum Donor
You can set the sensitivity in the GLM software and there is a pot on the back of the speaker too. I believe they come with it cranked...
Ah yes, mine came set to +6dB! I need to re-learn all of this really as I just let it do it's thing and didn't consider the long term.

Back to the drawing board I guess!! :facepalm:

Top Bottom