• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIFI POWER CABLES - a thought

benkatz

I saw a bunch of real measurement reviews (including by @amirm ) about power cables. I also had some in my system (SPAMMED my entire system with 4 Supra power cables + a supra 5 outlet repeater with rfi filtering and so on). Couldn't at all tell any difference. Maybe there was but it was not significant enough for my brain to remember it for the 20-30 seconds it took to change all the cables back to the OEM ones (and i have a 10k$+ system, i'd say it's resolving enough).

But while I was casually researching high end amplifiers as I want to upgrade my electronics part, I realist one thing after seeing a bunch of unboxings (I currently have the Yamaha A-S2100).

High End Amp manufacturers, notably Accuphase and Luxman (the 2 brands I'm interested in), never ship their amplifiers with high end power cables.

Not only do they not ship their amplifiers with nothing more than a regular power cable, they don't even manufacture them. Both companies do manufacture and sell various types of interconnect cables, Luxman even makes very expensive speaker cables on the side. But for companies that as their core business create very powerful audio components that all require power, and for all of them come in the box with power cables, i find that interesting.

Moreover, Accuphase, at least for some models, actually offer a high end self branded 2RCA-2RCA interconnect cable in the box - right next to a REGULAR black power cable. That's just as curious. If these companies would actually consider there is ANY benefit to premium power cables, wouldn't they include them in the box? Wouldn't they at least manufacture and sell them as an option along their other interconnect type cables?

I mean, one company spends the money to offer a high end interconnect in the box - you would think that because the power cable is mandatory and would make such a difference, they would actually offer and manufacture a high end power cable in the box instead of an RCA cable...right?

I think a discussion with Luxman/Accuphase representatives about the above issue could finally put a nail in the coffin of high end power cables.

roog

Forum Donor
Sadly at least one fairly 'High End' amp maker Naim did eventually succumb to selling upgraded cables, ok, not in the $10k relm but never the less I suspect they thought that they were missing out on a part of the accessory market.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Resolving" is one word that needs to leave the home hifi vernacular. It's just more audiophile narcissism (not accusing the OP of that). I ask the PS Audio crowd that all the time. What is it that your system resolves that mine doesn't? Is my amp refusing to reproduce the bass guitar notes or something? And is it doing it on purpose? Like out of spite?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Resolving" is one word that needs to leave the home hifi vernacular. It's just more audiophile narcissism (not accusing the OP of that). I ask the PS Audio crowd that all the time. What is it that your system resolves that mine doesn't? Is my amp refusing to reproduce the bass guitar notes or something? And is it doing it on purpose? Like out of spite?
And what the heck does a power cable have to do with any of it? Odd that power supply designers don't know the secret, whatever it is.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
And what the heck does a power cable have to do with any of it? Odd that power supply designers don't know the secret, whatever it is.
That is because they refuse to allocate the $$$$$ it takes to fully research these things. Only massive companies, like Fraudioquest and Synergestic Research have the financial ability to do such a thing. Bit players like Sony and Samsung can only dream about having such resources. And of course if you are spending that kind of $$$$$, you are NOT going to make your research findings available to the general public, or any of your poor competitors.

Philbo King

This cracks me up!
After the AC travels through untold miles of wire and numerous transformers, they think the last 4 feet makes a difference? What kind of drug induces such a fantasy? And where can I get some?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd guess Luxman and Accuphase are simply accommodating/mollifying their nuttier customers.

OP
B

benkatz

I'd guess Luxman and Accuphase are simply accommodating/mollifying their nuttier customers.

Not at all. Please read my post again. they DO NOT make or sell high-end power cables. Even for their most expensive tens of thousands of USD devices, they offer basic power cables, even though they do offer and create their own higher end speaker and interconnects.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is because they refuse to allocate the $$$$$ it takes to fully research these things. Only massive companies, like Fraudioquest and Synergestic Research have the financial ability to do such a thing. Bit players like Sony and Samsung can only dream about having such resources. And of course if you are spending that kind of $$$$$, you are NOT going to make your research findings available to the general public, or any of your poor competitors.
Obviously, only the snake oil companies have the means to attract cutting edge designers.

Palladium

I like how those obsessing over AC cables don't know just how ordinary the cables and crossovers inside their precious speakers are.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like how those obsessing over AC cables don't know just how crudely made the cables and crossovers inside their speakers are.
The snake oil vendors count on an ocean of ignorance.

roog

Forum Donor
Talking of which a copy of the Russ Andrews catalogue has just dropped through my letter box. (Don't ask why)
It makes interesting reading and judging by the pricing of some of the products he clearly fancies a bit of the high end business.
I particularly liked the 'article' which describes how you can now take advantage of one of his superior mains cables on hifi units which have captive cables. Cut the fixed cable off leaving say 150 to 200mm of existing cable sticking out the back and fit an inline IEC shrouded plug to it.
I expect the proposal is to plug a 'tree trunk' type cable in to this, hanging off the end of a the existing modest sheathed twin core.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Talking of which a copy of the Russ Andrews catalogue has just dropped through my letter box. (Don't ask why)
It makes interesting reading and judging by the pricing of some of the products he clearly fancies a bit of the high end business.
I particularly liked the 'article' which describes how you can now take advantage of one of his superior mains cables on hifi units which have captive cables. Cut the fixed cable off leaving say 150 to 200mm of existing cable sticking out the back and fit an inline IEC shrouded plug to it.
Very creative!

I'm sure that's a golden opportunity to sell vastly overpriced audiophile-grade IEC connectors, too.

Last edited:

roog

Forum Donor
Very creative!
Indeed, every sale counts.
I once asked on a HiFi forum, "If connectors and connections make so much difference why don't manufactures fit captive cables and do away with it all." The cacophony of disgust was telling.

People just have to have something they can buy that they can play with.

Like a bored child, that just has to stick their finger up their nose!

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
When this is what is in most home walls, why bother? The electricity doesn’t magically get better at the wall receptacle.

A Cute Earring

I suspect that many buyers with big budgets simply can’t fathom that an absurdly high priced cable makes no audible (or measurable) difference.

roog

Forum Donor
When this is what is in most home walls, why bother? The electricity doesn’t magically get better at the wall receptacle.

Ah, I have an answer for this, because despite the music traveling through countless, connectors, cables, potentiometers, transistors, capacitors, microprocessors, mixing desks etc on its journey to the user and the power passing through miles and miles of, over head wires, and countless, transformers, non audiophile switchgear, circuits breakers, cables routed underground in water laden conditions, its making the best of it in their own home that drives this mindset, the bit that they have some control over, therefore it must be important.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This cracks me up!
After the AC travels through untold miles of wire and numerous transformers, they think the last 4 feet makes a difference? What kind of drug induces such a fantasy? And where can I get some?

Ah thats easy, imgine the cow shits 5 miles away and then in your room? Makes this a difference? See very easy to explain. About the drug? One of the strongest you can imagine. Money. The last question i cant answer, maybe weopons, drugs, sexslaves, childwork?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
My Marantz PM-16 also had just a normal power cable. It wasn't even removable if I recall correctly. I don't know what they are doing now though.

Top Bottom