• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono Cartridge Response Measurement Script

morillon

Major Contributor
and the dedicated crosstalk tests, certainly at high level (80mm/s), of the hungaroton or denon 45tr, what does it give with your procedures?
;-)

Last edited:
OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and the dedicated crosstalk tests, certainly at high level (80mm/s), of the hungaroton or denon 45tr, what does it give with your procedures?
;-)
I am not sure what you mean. Crosstalk and azimuth adjustment is quite basic procdure but a bit tedious.

morillon

Major Contributor
I am not sure what you mean. Crosstalk and azimuth adjustment is quite basic procdure but a bit tedious.
I observe you doing them on certain discs.. and observe serious differences...
hence my questions...:
know if you have made these measurements crosstalk with the hungaroton and the denon 45tr ...
is it more explicit?:oops:

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I observe you doing them on certain discs.. and observe serious differences...
hence my questions...:
know if you have made these measurements crosstalk with the hungaroton and the denon 45tr ...
is it more explicit?:oops:
You do it with that showing the lowest crosstalk, in my case the Ortofon 1kHz.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't show up in track 3, but track 3 does show a ~1.25dB channel imbalance...

View attachment 272539
BTW:

On the Ortofon 1 kHz tracks I measure the following RMS levels on the left and right signals

First and third (left channel): -18.9264/-18.7554 = average of -18.8409
Second and fourth (right channel): -18.1617/-18.2325 = average of -18.1971

So left channel is 0.64 dB lower in level using this test record. Other test records show a bit more, but the Ortofon is the one showing the lowest crosstalk figures of the test records I have. So I adjust azimuth and channel balance to this one.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Strange, I never get got good crosstalk on Ortofon testrecord( present issue seems to be very good for everybody) -22-26, but had -35 /-35 on others for a while. But my cartridge got loose and hade to be fastened again and I then never got better than -28 on any test record . Played with azimuth with no success.

Now I got another cartridge on -30/31 after azimuth tuning , which in bang in spec -with 400hz filter removing low frequency rubbish on Ultimate Analog test record , but Ortofon is still not good. What could be wrong? HTA VTA ?
Earlier post…

15A script working well here, a plot where I reversed challels to make crosstalk both ways, . From when my crosstalk was better, first trial with Wally fulcrum, later I got even meter but screwed it up. Seem like a crosstalk plot scale to -35 would be nice
EDIT :found where to do it. ovdylim = 1 ovdylimvalue = [-35,5]
1679126225882.png

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange, I never get got good crosstalk on Ortofon testrecord( present issue seems to be very good for everybody) -22-26, but had -35 /-35 on others for a while. But my cartridge got loose and hade to be fastened again and I then never got better than -28 on any test record . Played with azimuth with no success.

Now I got another cartridge on -30/31 after azimuth tuning , which in bang in spec -with 400hz filter removing low frequency rubbish on Ultimate Analog test record , but Ortofon is still not good. What could be wrong? HTA VTA ?
Earlier post…
I’ve seen others having good x-talk numbers with the current Ortofon but as always it might be affected by pressing generation also. I wonder if there is a stamp on these records for pressing generation?

I could do some comparison with the Tacet, Elipson, Ultimate, Denon, Ortofon, QR2010, Hifi News. Level and phase of x-talk.

morillon

Major Contributor
quick measurement.. (virtin pro)
old "lady", year ""80""! ,mm at 155-LC diam (rather ""nos""+sonax)...but not optimized in azimuth adjustment* (see even the other adjustments..)

if I try to use the 1k of ref from the hugaronton.. I found "weird"..
but if I use the dedicated tracks "crosstalk" of the hugaronton (1k 11*10 80mm/s) .. but with at best 40vs 40 less of 0.5db...( fft 48/24 32k)
maybe those who have it could redo this measurement with your homemade scripts?

even if I had decided not to push my settings in lp...d or the "downgrade" bias of old mm "which made me dream when I was young"..
you will finally bring me back (just that unable to use your great homemade "python" scripts etc will only be with my virtins etc, will remain more "modest")

-reedition of x7001 33tr, end 90 "premium",.... 33.5-34 less 0.5db
-with my xg-7001 31db well balanced at less than 0.5db too ..

the azimuth of this cartdrige must not be so bad...

(but at 1khz 3.54cm/s not really jis , special with denon, not 8cm "din"..difference from my "soundcard" etc?, and my at-6605, and him quite disappointing with +-31 vs +-29db...in the same conditions as the denon for example...Japanese approach)

from hungaroton

Attachments

• 20230318_094229.jpg
    20230318_094229.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 20230318_110111.jpg
    20230318_110111.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
this 3.34-5-8-see 10cm/s... wouldn't it have a serious impact on our observations during the exchanges between us and our different crosstalk acquisition modes? quality of our cards on so low level etc...
;-)
ps
in what I have, the hugaroton approach to crosstalk seems the most "thoughtful", accomplished... not talking about my result, but about the proposed test and near 10cm-7.5cm off the lp spin..
(but in the future, I will stick to my denon ... much less strong modulation than the hungaroton therefore less wear and rather coherent and balanced at 1k .the "Japanese" are much more reasonable....)

Last edited:
OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
I can improve legibility if I reduce the line width of the 2h and 3h axis. Any issues with the colors for those axis?

Two file test.png

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
Version 16 Beta is in post #3. Now @Balle Clorin can stop posting plots that make me think I forgot to put on my glasses :p

• Added the ability to process two files, each file representing a channel. File_0 is left, and if specified file_1 is right.
  • Added the ability to normalize each file independently, or to normalize both to file_0.
  • Fixed cosmetic and layout issues.
  • Plotdataout will output data for both files.
  • Date/Time on plot is now the date/time the plot was generated instead of the input file date/time.

Due to how poor crosstalk performance of most sweep tracks are I'm not sure this was a worthwhile feature. We'll see how it goes.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Like . Now you only need to add Lateral and Vertical plot files. To give a total of 12 lines!! ;) I would also like room for a picture of my turntable and my date of birth … he he..

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
7001 on my setup favors the left channel. Haven’t dug in to it yet.
I may have swapped the L-R in my post , this is pattern of x-talk what you get with the Denon as well? Blue = Left; Red = Right

Shure V15VxSASB_140 pF 47 kOhm_Denon XG7001.png

morillon

Major Contributor
I don't understand your crosstalk gap with your xg7001...
I don't have it in my case...
:oops:
( for precaution, have you realized the manipulation on the channel of your sound card giving your best figures and rewiring?)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand your crosstalk gap with your xg7001...
I don't have it in my case...
:oops:
( for precaution, have you realized the manipulation on the channel of your sound card giving your best figures and rewiring?)
Can you show the results?

morillon

Major Contributor
no...
but i have for example at 1k, 31vs 31 or 33.5 vs 34 with luxe reedition ..
(virtins pro offers a specific function for this use)
and I also find situations like yours with other lp tests etc.. but not with my two xg7001

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
no...
but i have for example at 1k, 31vs 31 or 33.5 vs 34 with luxe reedition ..
Do you have the files? Would be interesting to look at the phase.

morillon

Major Contributor
no...
real time measurements... (fft 32k 48/24)
and reassures you.. I quickly came across the same kind of deviations as what you are observing. but not with my two denon...
(
the discs can be the most interesting at denon are probably their discs intended for the Japanese market in 45tr...
but I will have to get help on the translation side.. and I have not yet entered their crosstalk test.. because for once I will be a bit stupid but will only test on one channel.. (in the same circumstances as the xg7001.. i have a 35db in left)
odd
)

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
no...
real time measurements...
and reassures you.. I quickly came across the same kind of deviations as what you are observing. but not with my two denon...
Ok. With files you could look at the phase. The phases I get with the Denon x-talk is quite different. This means I can adjust it to better values.

Top Bottom