• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not subsidized. The oil companies pay royalties just like they were on private land.
But the government could say no but doesn't. Just like timber industry, they understand that oil and trees are finite and not everywhere, and denying access would dramatically raise prices and cut jobs on those commodities. So I'm going to disagree, those royalties are pittance of the US balance sheet, it's a way of keeping the economy going, a form of subsidy.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
But the government could say no but doesn't. Just like timber industry, they understand that oil and trees are finite and not everywhere, and denying access would dramatically raise prices and cut jobs on those commodities. So I'm going to disagree, those royalties are pittance of the US balance sheet, it's a way of keeping the economy going, a form of subsidy.
Nonsense. The government said no to the Keystone pipeline and oil prices went through the roof. You are talking politics here and in some previous posts. Perhaps the government should give me a lifetime exemption from the income tax. That would be a pittance compared to the US balance sheet which is already $31.5 trillion in debt and getting worse daily.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The government said no to the Keystone pipeline and oil prices went through the roof.
Would like to say more but you brought this up and reinforces what I said. Fact: That pipe line would have brought oil to the gulf and the oil would have been sold offshore.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listen, college boy, you think your knowledge and facts matter, but they don't mean squat. "Expertise" is just a coastal con. If I haven't witnessed your truth with my own eyes enough times to break through my own determined ignorance, then your facts must be false. You just think your facts are better than their facts because yours are based on science, but I went to the school of real life, so I know better than you. Water is wet. Beer is cold. My diesel truck leaves a cloud of black smoke.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Would like to say more but you brought this up and reinforces what I said. Fact: That pipe line would have brought oil to the gulf and the oil would have been sold offshore.
Oil is a fungible commodity. You are going to have to prove that statement and that exporting the Canadian crude did not reduce the exports of domestic crude. You can keep searching for "oill subsidies' but that does not make oil subsidized in the US, especially when motor fuel taxes are taken into account. As I have mentioned before, the tax regime of oil companies is not a subsidy. It simply levels the playing field with other industrial companies. Enviornmenalists and climate activists have renamed these subsidies.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That pipe line would have brought oil to the gulf and the oil would have been sold offshore.
That's kool, our national debt really could use the influx of cash.
But NOOOOO, we can't upset the polar-bears view of the snow. :eek:
Sarah Palin should have told the Fed to drop dead, drilled, and kept the cash in the state's reserve. ;)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listen, college boy, you think your knowledge and facts matter, but they don't mean squat. "Expertise" is just a coastal con. If I haven't witnessed your truth with my own eyes enough times to break through my own determined ignorance, then your facts must be false. You just think your facts are better than their facts because yours are based on science, but I went to the school of real life, so I know better than you. Water is wet. Beer is cold. My diesel truck leaves a cloud of black smoke.

Dude I don't want to make you feel bad, but I am indeed a college boy, and have degree and licence in mechanical engineering. I have had many more ICE vehicles than fingers and have repaired, rebuilt, modified, and raced them. I have recently put a down payment on $75K PHEV that goes 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds and has room in the back for my E-bike. Technology moves on and have always moved with it, that includes alternative energy devices and energy storage, including designing and building a passive solar heated home in 1984.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Dude I don't want to make you feel bad, but I am indeed a college boy, and have degree and licence in mechanical engineering. I have had many more ICE vehicles than fingers and have repaired, rebuilt, modified, and raced them. I have recently put a down payment on $75K PHEV that goes 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds and has room in the back for my E-bike. Technology moves on and have always moved with it, that includes alternative energy devices and energy storage, including designing and building a passive solar heated home in 1984.
A $30k Takoma has room for an E-Bike in the back, granted it's slower to 60, but who drives that way?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A $30k Takoma has room for an E-Bike in the back, granted it's slower to 60, but who drives that way?
My 2012 was only $18k and has crank windows it been the most reliable vehicle I've owned.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ya think motorsport fans will follow racing series that use quiet battery op toys?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ya think motorsport fans will follow racing series that use quiet battery op toys?
Yes as batteries get lighter they will be the fastest cars. An electric motor develops 100% torque at full stall.
Edit: I still like all types of vehicles

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't go there you'll end up in an immigration discussion OT.
What exactly the Carne Asada I ordered got anything to do with this topic?;)
Listen, college boy, you think your knowledge and facts matter, but they don't mean squat.
"Expertise" is just a coastal con. If I haven't witnessed your truth with my own eyes enough times to break through my own determined ignorance, then your facts must be false.
You just think your facts are better than their facts because yours are based on science, but I went to the school of real life, so I know better than you.
Water is wet. Beer is cold. My diesel truck leaves a cloud of black smoke.
I don't much care who this is directed at , and why!
But I must say I truly love the creative construction, fully articulate usage and the diatribe that allowed me to enjoy it.
May I be able to quote your fluid poetry in the future w/o your authorization?
But may be not so much; your last sentence...:)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes as batteries get lighter they will be the fastest cars. An electric motor develops 100% torque at full stall.
Edit: I still like all types of vehicles
It's not about "how fast", its the whole experience of being at the track.
Most forms of racing today are limited by the vehicles ability to retain traction.
From Nascar to NHRA to OpenWheel, their controlling bodies have over and over reduced engine horsepower to make the racing safer.
"The fastest lap in NASCAR history. In 1987 at Talladega Superspeedway, Bill Elliott put himself in the record books with a qualifying speed of 212.809mph."

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't much care who this is directed at , and why!
But I must say I truly love the creative construction, fully articulate usage and the diatribe that allowed me to enjoy it.
May I be able to quote your fluid poetry in the future w/o your authorization?
But may be not so much; your last sentence...:)
I don't know if your irony sense is working either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom