• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 256 70.7%

• Total voters

Egoquaero

I think a portable device do not need a remote since you can do all operation on the device which is linked to g5 though cable or bluetooth.
But I think hugo2 is more powerful than G5, do you really need another portable device?
I sold it some time ago. And if I'm not mistaken, Topping G5 should be the one more powerful right (153mw@300ohm and 1,02w@32ohm)?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 18.32.26.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 18.32.26.png
    886.9 KB · Views: 60

RangerAudio

I was messing around with mine last night. I was using it in bluetooth and charging it. It gets incredibly hot. I think using it as a desktop dac might not be worthwhile. The sound quality is great, but battery life, size and portability might not fit my needs.

Egoquaero

So I ended up buying the Topping G5 and I’ve found its bluetooth quality to be not that bad at all when paired with an iPhone 14 Pro. It’s just so so convenient. So the only problem now is that I’m listening to the original frequency tuning of the Sennheiser HD800, which is too bright and light for me. Is there an iOS app that fixes this problem like Sonarworks does on my macbook pro? Or do I need just a general parametric eq? (I use Tidal on my iPhone to listen to music)

ehabheikal

I do not think you have anything like wavelet in iphones, ios does not allow the permissions that a general equalizer. Apps can have eq for thier own music not others.

RangerAudio

I do not think you have anything like wavelet in iphones, ios does not allow the permissions that a general equalizer. Apps can have eq for thier own music not others.
That is my issue with this device on my iphone. If it had eq it'd be amazing. Does anyone know if I could go from Iphone to topping g5 to Quidelix (wired) then output with eq?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does anyone know if I could go from Iphone to topping g5 to Quidelix (wired) then output with eq?
You could do iPhone->Bluetooth/USB->Qudelix->3.5mm->G5->Headphone.

But at that point, you may as well just use the Qudelix alone.
Unless it doesn't get loud enough for you?

RangerAudio

You could do iPhone->Bluetooth/USB->Qudelix->3.5mm->G5->Headphone.

But at that point, you may as well just use the Qudelix alone.
Unless it doesn't get loud enough for you?
Definitely could. I just feel the g5 has better Bluetooth. The quidelix seems to crackle. Loudness isn't the problem, just the issue with the quidelix not having the best quality bluetooth.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Definitely could. I just feel the g5 has better Bluetooth. The quidelix seems to crackle. Loudness isn't the problem, just the issue with the quidelix not having the best quality bluetooth.
Unfortunately there's no way to use the G5's Bluetooth in combination with the 5K's EQ.

Egoquaero

Gosh you guys just shattered my dreams in a few messages... I guess the only solution is to buy a pair of headphones that are great right out of the box without EQ?
What about the Apple Music EQ? Can it be useful? Is this the only software option to be used with Tidal?

RangerAudio

Gosh you guys just shattered my dreams in a few messages... I guess the only solution is to buy a pair of headphones that are great right out of the box without EQ?
What about the Apple Music EQ? Can it be useful? Is this the only software option to be used with Tidal?
Yeah pretty much. I use a akg k371 and blessing 2 dusk and both sound good. No complaints here. It’s not ideal w/o eq but I have a Qudelix 5k for that and the g5 for chill listening.

gvl

Major Contributor
Anyone can recommend a pouch that can fit the G5, pair of IEMs, a USB cable and nothing more?

Cofra

I have IEM's with 2,5mm male. Do you guys have suggestions for a good adapter to use the balanced 4,4mm out on the G5?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have IEM's with 2,5mm male. Do you guys have suggestions for a good adapter to use the balanced 4,4mm out on the G5?
The G5's 4.4mm Pentaconn out carries exactly the same single-ended signal as the 3.5mm out.
So you can use a 3.5m to 2.5f or 4.4m to 2.5f adapter and it won't make a difference.

All three 3.5m to 2.5f adapters that I've bought quickly developed bad contact in the 2.5mm jack, so here are some that I can't recommend:
Screenshot_20230407-145633_Chrome.png Screenshot_20230407-145611_Chrome.png Screenshot_20230407-145549_Chrome.png

If I had to get another one, then I would solder my own adapter using this 2.5mm jack probably: https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIZOVmT

Cofra

The G5's 4.4mm Pentaconn out carries exactly the same single-ended signal as the 3.5mm out.
So you can use a 3.5m to 2.5f or 4.4m to 2.5f adapter and it won't make a difference.

All three 3.5m to 2.5f adapters that I've bought quickly developed bad contact in the 2.5mm jack, so here are some that I can't recommend:
View attachment 277715 View attachment 277716 View attachment 277717

If I had to get another one, then I would solder my own adapter using this 2.5mm jack probably: https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIZOVmT
The "'can't recommend" is also kind of a recommendation But I would really like to find decent adapter without soldering, even if I'm capable if I have the time. Thanks!

RodU

So after reading Amirm’s review, as well as all other comments, and having had so many issues with my awesome sounding FiiO BRT7, I decided to return it and buy the G5.

I’ve been using it for about 3 weeks and it’s definitely a keeper. The overall experience is different from that of the BTR7, but it’s SO pleasant. The only complaint is its size, weight, and it gets hot after using for a few hours when I’m outside in hot weather... not really a dealbreaker and kind of got used to it already. The sound satisfaction is a lot > than the minor negatives.

I’m considering giving the FiiO BRT7 a second chance and buying it again (as Father’s Day gift) for those hot summer days. I really think I got a defective unit.

Both the Topping G5 and the FiiO BRT7 are great, each in its own way.

Last edited:

GMalik8

I have firmware 1.50. I mixed a new sound installation (24 bit, 48 kHz) yesterday, it sounded fine on the studio monitor (Kali IN-8) and in the headphones (HEDDphone, LCD-XC). This morning I was listening on the G5 in BT mode with my LCD-XC headphones and at 6.56 I noticed that I could hear two small soft clicks. I got a bit angry, I said there's no way I didn't pick this up during mastering. I listen to the sound mix on the computer, no clicks. In BT mode, you can hear the little clicks in the same place on the phone and on the computer. In USB mode nowhere the clicks only in BT mode. I also listened to the material with other BT devices, e.g. the Lypertek Tevi, and no clicking there either, only on the G5... Is it possible that there is something to improve in the firmware....? ;)
I have firmware 1.50. I mixed a new sound installation (24 bit, 48 kHz) yesterday, it sounded fine on the studio monitor (Kali IN-8) and in the headphones (HEDDphone, LCD-XC). This morning I was listening on the G5 in BT mode with my LCD-XC headphones and at 6.56 I noticed that I could hear two small soft clicks. I got a bit angry, I said there's no way I didn't pick this up during mastering. I listen to the sound mix on the computer, no clicks. In BT mode, you can hear the little clicks in the same place on the phone and on the computer. In USB mode nowhere the clicks only in BT mode. I also listened to the material with other BT devices, e.g. the Lypertek Tevi, and no clicking there either, only on the G5... Is it possible that there is something to improve in the firmware....? ;)
I can also hear the ticking (clock) noise. Only in bluetooth mode (in high gain mode pretty loud noise). did you solve the problem?

NexusOne

I am interested in the G5 and I have got some questions. Maybe you can help me:

- Is it better than the Fiio Q3s?
- Is it possible to change a weak batterie easily or can you throw it away after some years like TWS?
- Does it have advantages for iems in comparision to the s9pro or 9038 or is the biggest advantage that it is better for over ear headphones? Only for iems you don't need it and a smaller dongle is enough?
- If the red light is on how long can you listen until it is empty? 1h?

plumpudding2

I am interested in the G5 and I have got some questions. Maybe you can help me:

- Is it better than the Fiio Q3s?
- Is it possible to change a weak batterie easily or can you throw it away after some years like TWS?
- Does it have advantages for iems in comparision to the s9pro or 9038 or is the biggest advantage that it is better for over ear headphones? Only for iems you don't need it and a smaller dongle is enough?
- If the red light is on how long can you listen until it is empty? 1h?
I don't like it for iems, I hear all sorts of phone cpu noise / other RFI and EMI noise through my sensitive iems with the G5

GMalik8

Hi
has anyone tried:

1. to connect with the phone in bluetooth mode
2. switch to high gain and turn to maximum the volume knob
3. mute the volume on the phone
4. Connect the earphones with G5

do you hear clicking, clock-like ticking on the left or right channel on the earphones?????
Only earphones, in High impedance hp not experience.

Top Bottom