• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Examples of good usability in hi-fi equipment

tomchris

Regardless of performance, please share your experience with equipment which has made a great impression on your perception of great usability.

Specifically, I am focused on the tactile enjoyment of operating a piece of equipment. For example, the usefulness of a certain layout or selective use of switches, knobs or buttons etc.

OP
tomchris

tomchris

All the old amps that used to have VU meters, treble & bass controls, proper volume pots and durable switches/knobs/buttons. :)

JSmith
I am in total agreement. However, can you mention a specific make/model which soared above the rest, in you opinion?

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I believe that JSmith is talking about the vintage gear of the '70's to early '80's, most famous being Marantz, Pioneer and Sansui. The best I personally ever had was a Luxman receiver from the '80's, the model escapes me. The problem with them, they had limited inputs (like 3), no sub out and of course BT was out of the question. They didn't spec well, but for the time SQ was pretty good. If yr looking for something modern, take a look at the Rotel A11/12. No VU meters, but they look good.

AudiOhm

I like amps with just an on/off button on the front. that is activated by a signal input...

Ohms

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
The push-to-enter track selection rotary knob Sony used to put on their CD players for some time.

1678938034159.jpeg

dorakeg

For me, I am impressed by the idea of a motorised volume control. ITs like a cool and simple idea. Instead of having some additional circuitry for volume control, why not just use a small motor so it will turn the volume knob when users press up or down from their remote?

Another is the 12V trigger input/output.... So you can daisy chain devices together. Just need 1 device to turn on the rest...

OP
tomchris

tomchris

I believe that JSmith is talking about the vintage gear of the '70's to early '80's, most famous being Marantz, Pioneer and Sansui. The best I personally ever had was a Luxman receiver from the '80's, the model escapes me. The problem with them, they had limited inputs (like 3), no sub out and of course BT was out of the question. They didn't spec well, but for the time SQ was pretty good. If yr looking for something modern, take a look at the Rotel A11/12. No VU meters, but they look good.
Yes, and if I had to mention a particular favorite of mine, it would be the Sansui CA-3000 preamplifier / Sansui A-20000 integrated amplifier:
b7be3778dcc4a82ea0db0e2ce26db464.jpg

TimF

Forum Donor
For a while I owned a Sony TA-A1es integrated amplifier. It is a current Sony model. I owned one a few years ago. I think it is a very attractive amp and it was satisfying to use. It didn't give me quite the sound I wanted so I sold it but I think the problem wasn't the amp but my speaker placement in a rectangular room. Later I moved the speakers to one end of the room and everything came together. I would recommend the Sony because of its build quality if you can get a used one at a good price.
1678939198394.jpeg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything with a remote control or internet control.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I am in total agreement. However, can you mention a specific make/model which soared above the rest, in you opinion?
I believe that JSmith is talking about the vintage gear of the '70's to early '80's, most famous being Marantz, Pioneer and Sansui.
I'm always partial to a bit of Akai too;

Akai%2BAM-2350%2B8.jpg

:cool:
'

JSmith

OP
tomchris

tomchris

For me, I am impressed by the idea of a motorised volume control. ITs like a cool and simple idea. Instead of having some additional circuitry for volume control, why not just use a small motor so it will turn the volume knob when users press up or down from their remote?

Another is the 12V trigger input/output.... So you can daisy chain devices together. Just need 1 device to turn on the rest...
Stepped volume controls, or volume controls with digital readouts so you know exactly what your volume has been set at. Allows for perfect repeatability.
Yes, but have you seen actual implementations that you like? if not, have you seen volume controls on equipment that you wished were motorized and/or stepped?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Yes, but have you seen actual implementations that you like? if not, have you seen volume controls on equipment that you wished were motorized and/or stepped?

Yes, my Audia Flight PRE has a motorized and stepped volume control with a digital readout. It has 0.5dB increments. Any setting I make on that preamp is perfectly repeatable.

D

Deleted member 48726

Amplifier useful list:
  • Clipping lights -Every amp should have them
  • Input sensitivity switch
  • Auto standby
  • VU meters
  • If integrated: Ability to use only as power amp (pre out / main in)
Most useful device I have is a Minidsp DDRC24 with Dirac. It's a swiss army knife of functions.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can literally think of many hundreds of vintage pieces I own or have owned that fit the 'great impressions' and 'tactile enjoyment in operating' the OP is asking about.

I don't know where to start, so I won't. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm always partial to a bit of Akai too

I have a very rare M-930 system from 1987 that would blow your mind...

Like this (not my pic)
1678942427944.png

Amplifier with onboard DACs, CD transport, the decks are both computer record level processing dual auto reverse- both decks record. Linear tracking TT, tuner, timer etc all separate components with solid aluminium panels and knobs. Even the play buttons are anodised aluminium. All individual remote receivers controlled by one remote. All six components are still in their factory boxes in my storeroom.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

My upper tier Sony ES CD players have remote motorized variable outputs (two sets- fixed and variable). Internal Alps Blue motorized pots.

Motorized pots (with an indicator LED) are the best. Not keen on ones where there is no indicator to see across the room.

dorakeg

Haha, not much. I am more of impressed with the turning of the knob when I press up/down... I think quite a number of amps have this volume control these days.

Some equipment has rather elaborate type of voume control but it does nothing in terms of functionality. Eg. the Krell Evo 202. DEspite all the effort done for volume control, the knob doesn't even turn when using remote, kind of a bummer. The knob turns quite freely witout and weight or reisstnace to it...haha.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Quad 44 Preamp:

quad44.jpg

A basic and remarkably intuitive design for a preamp...

Pushbuttons for source (with LED indicators), that superb "tilt" control - this is a brilliant example of well executed user interface.
mid 1980's

Top Bottom