• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING MX3s

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Attachments

• 1678442368405.png
    1678442368405.png
    352.9 KB · Views: 198

JSmith

Master Contributor

Guddu

Quite an All-in-One unit, may be intended for desktop use but Too low power specs may be !!!
Something similar with 2 x MA12070 or TPA3250/3255 could be amazing!

Last edited:

CedarX

Forum Donor
Besides the unknown AKM chip (AK4493S like the DX1?), the description mentions a Qualcomm QCC3040 for BT (obviously), but also USB, optical, and coax input…??? Do I read that wrong or there is no Xmos chip? The QCC3040 is a fairly powerful chip with one Kalimba DSP unit. I wonder if they used a DSP LPF with the integrated DAC to provide the SW output…

EDIT: also noted that the SNR and Dynamic Range of the HPA are spec’s at 115dB for USB/Opt/Coax vs. a much better 127dB for the Aux input. Either this is a low-end AKM DAC, or the QCC3040 is the limiting factor (similar story on the Qudelix 5K used as DAC). Not that it matters at these levels anyway!!!

EDIT2: the QCC3040 integrated DAC is 1-channel only, which would work for the Sub Woofer out, but only for USB/Opt/Coax input…. Aux input would require using the QCC3040 integrated ADCs (intended for mics) to get digital L & R, then sum it & apply a LPF in the DSP, and convert it to analog SW out through the DAC. Latency should not be too much of an issue for a sub… Seems rather complicated to implement!

If Topping is moving toward using Qualcomm instead of Xmos for the digital inputs, I wish we’ll finally see more DSP options in their future entry level products—alike what Qudelix has done with the 5K and it’s app. A DX3S (MX3S without the amp.) with some EQ options would be interesting if less than $150 !

Last edited:

CedarX

Forum Donor
Not sure if there is such thing as an AK4437 DAC…

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Not sure if there is such thing as an AK4437 DAC…
Agreed - I see mention of a '4436VN' and '4438VN from AKM

CedarX

Forum Donor
Found one post (in Japanese) mentioning an “AK4437” produced at Renesas after the AKM fire. Headfonics also lists it in their iKKo Heimdallr review, but iKKo shows it as a AK4377. May be a typo… or an existing “classic” AKM DAC produced at a different factory.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
I think it is the AK4377, as this looks like Topping ad copy:

ampguy

Waiting on reviews for this. I have a small desk setup where this could work well to save up some space. Currently have a Schiit Sys preamp for allowing switch between computer and Roon (Chromecast streamer here), into a Sabaj a10h hp amp, then into a TPA3116 amp for powering the desktop single Fostex driver Kanspeas on the desk. I realize there are existing decent all in ones like the dx3pro+ but I think in either case, I have to find a way to support 2 analog inputs, or get one of those mini Toslink cables for the Chromecast.

fuzzy_logic

I quite liked the original Mx3, but then i added a subwoofer to my setup, and they didn't get on. A loud thunk from the sub, when the amp was powered off, and then it shut itself down after i connected my headphones (which was fine before i added the sub). I saw similar reports from other users elsewhere - I hope they've fixed it with the new version!

RangerAudio

Thinking about buying this, but seems the og MX3 wasn't a great unit. Anyone know the measurements of this?

Hatto

Thinking about buying this, but seems the og MX3 wasn't a great unit. Anyone know the measurements of this?
Topping released their measurements but there are no independent measurements out that I know of yet.

SuicideSquid

I've got a decade-old Topping VX1 and have been waiting for them to produce a suitable replacement. Perhaps this will be it.

RangerAudio

Topping released their measurements but there are no independent measurements out that I know of yet.
Much appreciated. I think I might just go with a Topping DX3 Pro+ for now instead. I don't really need a powered speaker output, but it would be a nice feature. It has a lot of potential.

Hatto

Much appreciated. I think I might just go with a Topping DX3 Pro+ for now instead. I don't really need a powered speaker output, but it would be a nice feature. It has a lot of potential.
DX3 Pro+ is a more versatile product in my opinion. It can be used as pure DAC, pre-amp and headphone amp, whereas MX3s is an AIO stereo amp with an afterthought headphone stage. While both offer great capability with small footprint, DX3 Pro+ has top of the line DAC and HPA performance. It all depends on your listening habits prioritization:
Listening to headphones often >>> DX3 Pro+
Active speakers >>> DX3 Pro+
Need analog outputs >>> DX3 Pro+
Need analog inputs >>> MX3s
Passive Speakers >>> MX3s
You already have a DX3 Pro+ and just need a matching stereo amp >>> PA3S ($126: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LCTYHKQ)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SINAD 93 and about 58W into 4 ohms (THD+N 1%). Looks like a great all in one!

Their published measurements, made in APx555b, have been reliable so far.

Top Bottom