• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does it allow for correction of a 4 sub system with 2 stereo subs per channel?
Subwoofers are only mono with Dirac (as they should be)

mikematrix

Configuration possible: 2.0, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1, 7.0.2, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, 9.1.6, quadriphonique, pentagonal, hexagonal, Octogonal, Ambisonique

juliangst

wheelbarrow

I have a NAD d3045 - I assume it is just a two channel DAC+amp in a box, correct? The sub outs are just pre outs of the L/R channels. That means I would be in the same boat as others in this thread having to get a multichannel DAC and run that into the NAD to take advantage of bass control, correct?

If that's the case I may as well just sell the NAD and get a standalone amp to go with the new multichannel DAC, right? Bummer - I like how compact the d3045 is for a desktop setup.

Second question: will the Onkyo RZ50 get bass control support added in as an upgrade? I don't see it listed on the Dirac website anymore (although I do see the Pioneer AVRs). Maybe the RZ50 was never officially listed at the Dirac site? I can't remember.

Thanks

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I have a NAD d3045 - I assume it is just a two channel DAC+amp in a box, correct? The sub outs are just pre outs of the L/R channels. That means I would be in the same boat as others in this thread having to get a multichannel DAC and run that into the NAD to take advantage of bass control, correct?

Depending on what you’re planning to run DLBC on and how many subs you have, you may get a way with adding a cheap 2-channel DAC for the sub(s) and keeping the rest of your setup. That’s what I did, anyway.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Will this DLBC be available on the new Denon (X-#800) AVR?

TIA

Peace.

wheelbarrow

Depending on what you’re planning to run DLBC on and how many subs you have, you may get a way with adding a cheap 2-channel DAC for the sub(s) and keeping the rest of your setup. That’s what I did, anyway.
Hmm. I'll be running just one sub. So I would run the R/L sub outs into the 2-channel DAC, which would the rout to the computer for Dirac processing and back to the 2-channel DAC out down to the sub?

Thank you.

mikematrix

@FrantzM Yes denon announced it but I don't know if it will be multi sub or not. But the delay will be very long, end of the year or in 1 year...

@theREALdotnet Be careful to specify your system because, for example, connecting 2 dacs to a Windows computer will not work with Dirac because it will be 2x 2 channels and not 1x 4 channels ;)

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Hmm. I'll be running just one sub. So I would run the R/L sub outs into the 2-channel DAC, which would the rout to the computer for Dirac processing and back to the 2-channel DAC out down to the sub?

Aren’t sub outs analog?

On the computer than runs DLBC (and that has the existing stereo USB DAC connected) you would connect another USB DAC that takes care of the sub channel(s). The two DACs need to be combined as a single virtual audio device for DLBC to output to. Not sure how you do this in Windows or Linux, I’ve done it in macOS. That‘s why I started my reply with “Depending on what you’re planning to run DLBC on…”

wheelbarrow

Ah got it, I'm tracking now. So, I would purchase and connect a second DAC, aggregate them into one device in Mac settings, then tell Dirac that L/R outputs from the 2nd DAC are the subs. Then measure/let Dirac do the rest, apply filter and enjoy? That's it?

Thanks

EDIT - look slike a good option for the 2nd DAC could be the Schiit Modi 3+, since it has the same AKM dac chip that the d3045 has? Or does the chip type really matter? They have newer versions of this product but they ditch the AKM chip for ESS.
Thanks. https://www.amazon.com/Schiit-Modi-Converter-Delta-Sigma-Black/dp/B08NXST147

Last edited:

juliangst

Ah got it, I'm tracking now. So, I would purchase and connect a second DAC, aggregate them into one device in Mac settings, then tell Dirac that L/R outputs from the 2nd DAC are the subs. Then measure/let Dirac do the rest, apply filter and enjoy? That's it?

Thanks

EDIT - look slike a good option for the 2nd DAC could be the Schiit Modi 3+, since it has the same AKM dac chip that the d3045 has? Or does the chip type really matter? They have newer versions of this product but they ditch the AKM chip for ESS.
Thanks. https://www.amazon.com/Schiit-Modi-Converter-Delta-Sigma-Black/dp/B08NXST147
A 10€ apple dongle should be completly fine for subwoofers. I don't know if you can combine 2 DACs into one inside MacOS settings.
Most people on MacOS use a program called Loopback to do that (which is another 100€ for the software)

BTW: Someone here did exactly that. There a screenshots on page 4 of this thread

mikematrix

Unfortunately I had posted the question a little higher if a program like loopback existed under windows and the answer was negative :(
I think the best way under windows and using RCA is an RME digiface USB + 2 DAC (which I already have).

juliangst

Unfortunately I had posted the question a little higher if a program like loopback existed under windows and the answer was negative :(
I think the best way under windows and using RCA is an RME digiface USB + 2 DAC (which I already have).
Voicemeeter banana can combine 2 DACs into one and is freeware

mikematrix

This is what I was told :
From everything I have read--as I would love to be able to do the same thing--it's not a simple matter as there's no way to keep inherently asynchronous USB devices in sync.

juliangst

The easiest solution under windows is just getting a multichannel DAC like the Motu M4.
Windows is terrible for audio stuff imho

wheelbarrow

A 10€ apple dongle should be completly fine for subwoofers. I don't know if you can combine 2 DACs into one inside MacOS settings.
Most people on MacOS use a program called Loopback to do that (which is another 100€ for the software)

BTW: Someone here did exactly that. There a screenshots on page 4 of this thread
Got it thank you. I'll try an apple dongle clock synced with the d3045 via Mac OS + RCA adapter to sub with Loopback - much cheaper than a Topping. Will probably be years before a clean integrated solution like the NAD d3045 ever gets "2.1/2.2 multichannel DAC" capability if ever.

Thanks again.

mikematrix

Motu M4. Volume management only on 2 channels. And to avoid any accident I prefer to have a volume management afterwards to at least put a maximum not to be exceeded (if I use the volume of the application).

wheelbarrow

Oh I forgot one thing about the apple dongle - it's limited to 24/48. Guess I'll need to find one that can go up to 24/192 if I want it to match the NAD

Top Bottom