• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier MR4 measurements (It's probably been upgraded.)

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Hi Guys!
I actually measured Edifier's MR4 in its early days, too.

IMG_5600.JPG

1678852110.jpg

This is what I had measured before using Klippel's equipment and software, and the FR(on-axis) of the speaker tended to be similar to what @amirm had measured.

Anyway. In the Korean audio community where I'm active, the MR4's popularity hasn't waned since then.
However, many people lamented the lack of Multitone test (by Klippel) data for this speaker,
I was able to get a relatively recent one from a member.

So let's get started!

Frequency Response

01.png

I panicked as I organized this data.
What the heck was going on...
The speaker changed.

It's incredibly flat compared to before.
I believe the product has been upgraded.

Directivity

02.png
03.png

The horizontal directivity is very smooth.

04.png
05.png

Beamwidth

06.png
07.png

Polar plot
08.png

09.png

The directivity(back and sides) isn't the smoothest, but for the price, it's forgivable.

(You can currently find them in the $50 to $60 range in South Korea).

THD

(Given the size of these speakers, I measured them at 90dB SPL instead of 95dB SPL.)

26.PNG
27.PNG

I use CHD to represent the THD% plot.

This calculates the percentage of each overtone component based on the average sound pressure from 200 Hz to 10 kHz, which I prefer for relative plots.

28.png
29.png

Compare to the passive model.
30.PNG
31.png

Multitone test

10.png
11.png

I wouldn't call it super clean, but it's pretty good for the price point.

(I keep emphasizing price, and since I live in South Korea, I can't help but think in terms of prices here.
Please forgive me.)

Original vs 80Hz~

12.png

Mode comparison
13.png

Multitone distortion each SPL

14.png
15.png

Compression test
16.png

Probably the limiter on the built-in amplifier was triggered.

Deviation between Active and Passive model.

18.png

Impact of Music mode.
19.png

Crosstalk test (L to R)
20.png

21.png

Finally.

THD and MD measurement data can tell you a lot about a loudspeaker.
And when we look at this speaker based on that, it's a pretty compliant speaker.

However, I did hear some pretty annoying noise from the active model when measuring this speaker.
(If you listen to music with a lot of bass, you can probably relate.)

And when I looked at the data later, it was already measured.

HOHD.PNG

This is the Port nearfiled measurement data for this speaker.

As it turned out, the noise was stronger on the rear amplifier plate than on the port, but it was also measurable on the port.

And this was confirmed by the ID (Impulsive Distortion) and HOHD (High Order Harmonic Distortion) data.

These are things that may or may not be slightly detectable in THD or MD measurements, but are actually much more audible to the human ear.

Low-order harmonic distortion can be treated as timbre, but in this case it is not, so it is clearly heard as noise.

Thanks for reading this review. :)

Last edited:

Huang Jerry

Excellent review! Funny story, I did some impromptu measurements using the umik-1 (just for fun) on the older version before I returned it as the passive speaker is not working.

I received the possibly new version as a replacement and the FR is indeed different, no consensus on the actual improvement in FR though as there are too many variables in the testing environment.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Excellent review! Funny story, I did some impromptu measurements using the umik-1 (just for fun) on the older version before I returned it as the passive speaker is not working.

I received the possibly new version as a replacement and the FR is indeed different, no consensus on the actual improvement in FR though as there are too many variables in the testing environment.
I am sure that what you have experienced is probably the truth.

I once collected four passive models of the MR4 and measured the deviation between each unit.

1678857009-2.jpg
1678857009-3.jpg

1678857009.jpg
1678857009-1.jpg

As a low-end product, there was some variation, but I never saw anything in the measurement data that would make it look like a completely different product.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Ooo, flat. That can make many high scoring speakers here worried especially coming from an affordable speaker.

This presents a philosophical problem - How long can reviews be before they become inaccurate?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for sharing, am positively surprised by their performance considering you can get them also in Europe for 100€ pair price, might get them for my work in the future.

@amirm, maybe you could pin the review at the top as its a decent low budget choice for beginners?

JktHifi

Is there any difference between TRS and RCA input? TRS better or almost the same?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Ooo, flat. That can make many high scoring speakers here worried especially coming from an affordable speaker.

This presents a philosophical problem - How long can reviews be before they become inaccurate?
I think it really depends. For relatively cheap speakers, probably no more than a year. Professional monitors (designed for studios) should really be consistent for a number of years (to avoid the need to change everything if one of the monitors fails in year 3). The extreme case in the BBC LS3/5a which has had to be consistent over decades!

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you for sharing, am positively surprised by their performance considering you can get them also in Europe for 100€ pair price, might get them for my work in the future.

@amirm, maybe you could pin the review at the top as its a decent low budget choice for beginners?

Probably a great choice for anyone who needs computer speakers in that price range for general use at low to moderate volumes.

henologist

Thanks for the measurements! There's a lot of solid competition in that price bracket right now, and this seems like one of the strongest contenders. I might grab a pair for the office.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Uh. How would one now if one would receive a new version?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We should dig deeper. On amazon they talk 2.0 but what that means? Who knows? ;)

I saw that BestBuy advertises them as "Edifier MR4 2.0" but I believe that is done simply to be clear that these are a 2.0 system rather than 2.1.

Bleib

Major Contributor
I saw that BestBuy advertises them as "Edifier MR4 2.0" but I believe that is done simply to be clear that these are a 2.0 system rather than 2.1.
Companies are poor with these things. A simply V2 would work..

Top Bottom