• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JPS Superconductor V USB Cable Review

Rate this USB Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 283 96.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So did @amirm ever test whether this thing is actually a superconductor?
Didn't get a chance.. Folks at CERN found out and asked to use it in their particle accelerator. They were short a few feet.....

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
When someone who geniunely believed magic to be responsible for the observed event is exposed to the actual mechanism behind the trick, it triggers cognitive dissonance. Weak minds would disregard factual evidence in order not to face the reality that they've been wrong right from the start, to preserve he integrity of their insecure nature.

That's when it turns into subjective belief in magic.
This comes down to semantics, doesn't it? I feel that "belief" is by definition subjective, whereas "knowledge" is objective.

AaronJ

Indeed. Which is worse: a fantasist who genuinely believes in nonsense, or a liar who knows it's nonsense but claims to believe it anyway.

Regardless, we should expect them to prove their claims in double-blind subjective tests.
Neither is worse, because the effect is the same. The only remedy is to be educated enough to avoid both.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Neither is worse, because the effect is the same. The only remedy is to be educated enough to avoid both.
I agree, but what is "educated enough"? We can't expect everyone to know electronics or basic physics, but critical thinking ought to be more common than it is.

RDoc

I find it interesting that for a lot of "high end" (outrageously expensive) audio components, full appreciation requires supernatural perception.
At https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/ I was unable to find any audio equipment discussions though.
Apparently those of us stuck in the physical plane will have to just settle for reasonably priced equipment.

Hatto

This comes down to semantics, doesn't it? I feel that "belief" is by definition subjective, whereas "knowledge" is objective.

I agree that "objective belief" is an oxymoron. But represents a special case where a "belief" is taken as "knowledge" based on limited or skewed "objective evidence" (real world observations)..

Proving non-existence of something is tricky.

People thought they had knowledge: All swans are white. No one needed to prove that any colored swans are non-existent, they weren't around and that was "evidence" enough, which made the statement appear as objective knowledge. It was only true to the extent of their observations until black swans were discovered at the Australian continent in 1697. It was objective, it was knowledge, until it turned out to be a belief. We still hold assumptions based on objective (yet what might be partial) evidence and pass them as knowledge. Those are what I'd phrase as "objective beliefs".

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but what is "educated enough"? We can't expect everyone to know electronics or basic physics, but critical thinking ought to be more common than it is.

And therein lies the rub... We have people today who believe the earth is flat, the Apollo program was faked, that "news" programs report facts, and that politicians are altruistic.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I find it interesting that for a lot of "high end" (outrageously expensive) audio components, full appreciation requires supernatural perception.
At https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/ I was unable to find any audio equipment discussions though.
Apparently those of us stuck in the physical plane will have to just settle for reasonably priced equipment.
Do those with supernatural perception also have supernatural incomes? If not, who's keeping the whole thing going?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do those with supernatural perception also have supernatural incomes? If not, who's keeping the whole thing going?
I have to think that, just like buying an expensive sports car automatically makes you a skilled racing driver, buying these expensive tweaks makes you a golden-eared affiicianado.

Last edited:

AaronJ

I have to think that, just like buying an expensive sports car automatically makes you a skilled racing driver, buying these expensive tweaks makes you a golden-eared affiicianado.
Agree with this. Just check the dCS forum.

ribonucleic

If I had $20,000 speakers, it would feel wrong to feed them a signal produced by an $40 DAC sipping through a $3 USB cable, even though I'm convinced by logic that there would be no way to improve the sound by spending more on the latter two. I would want to spend at least $20 on the USB cable in exchange for some benefit - even if it was for something as irrelevant as being strong enough to suspend a grand piano.

It's a psychological thing - intellectually indefensible - but there you have it.

DonR

Major Contributor
If I had $20,000 speakers, it would feel wrong to feed them a signal produced by an $40 DAC sipping through a $3 USB cable, even though I'm convinced by logic that there would be no way to improve the sound by spending more on the latter two. I would want to spend at least $20 on the USB cable in exchange for some benefit - even if it was for something as irrelevant as being strong enough to suspend a grand piano.

It's a psychological thing - intellectually indefensible - but there you have it.
What kind of grand piano: petite grand, baby grand, medium grand, parlour grand, ballroom grand or concert grand?

ribonucleic

What kind of grand piano: petite grand, baby grand, medium grand, parlour grand, ballroom grand or concert grand?
The Audioquest Pearl USB cable can support a petite grand. If you need to support a concert grand, you need to shell out for the Audioquest Diamond.

RDoc

Wait a minute here! By definition, a USB cable works with digital, so we should be hanging digital pianos from it, e.g. a Yamaha Clavinova.

Top Bottom