• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rotel RB-1070 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 183 68.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 36 13.4%

• Total voters

JktHifi

Are there *any* stand-alone two-channel power amplifiers that have subwoofer outputs?
Got so many out there such as Marantz amp PM6007, Yamaha AS-301, Denon etc. You can find a lot in the market right now. That’s the only reason I’m not buying that kind of amp that have a lot of junky monkey mumbo jumbo…

Beave

Major Contributor
Got so many out there such as Marantz amp PM6007, Yamaha AS-301, Denon etc. You can find a lot in the market right now.

None of those are stand alone two-channel amplifiers. Try again.

JktHifi

None of those are stand alone two-channel amplifiers. Try again.
Sorry cannot name you want but I like this a lot: (release 2022)
720DFD63-6977-40C8-8B2C-B355A205BC1E.jpeg

AudioTK

Nice to see this review and measurements of the RB-1070.
Back in 2004, I had purchased a Marantz SR5400 receiver and Paradigm Studio 100 v3 towers and CC-570 center. In 2005, I was at a local stereo shop in central Ohio, and they had a Rotel RB-1090 almost 400wrms/ch sitting there for only $1000. It was their floor model, but still worked, and they even said it would still have the normal warranty, so I just couldn't turn it down. I haven't regretted it, and it still works now. Later in 2006, I bought off eBay a Rotel RMB-1075 the 120wrms/5ch for $625, which was actually a floor model from some other stereo shop, and they even threw in some The Link 100 from Transparent Audio Laboratory interconnects.

Just yesterday, I was doing some listening tests with some 5.1 DTS CDs, some various movies, and some just stereo CDs. I'm testing many speaker positions and angles even before the room is completed. I have tried many songs and movies. One that stood out was Paul Hardcastle 5 --> In the Beginning. I was absolutely immersed in the sound. I kept having to check if I was truly in stereo mode on the receiver and had to confirm that the center and surrounds were not on. I closed my eyes, and the 100s just disappeared and literally sounded like surround sound with amazing center imaging but even more fascinating was how much sound I heard at the sides and even slightly behind me. There were a few other tracks on that disc that were quite good, but even if you don't like Paul Hardcastle, this one track is one to try. Not all my CDs sound like this, but I'm always looking for more stuff to try.

I know some have commented that the Rotel amps don't have much life or are this or that, but others have praised them as very musical and good. I can say I have been happy with mine all these years powering my Paradigms. And now I see at a local used electronics store they have a Rotel RMB-1095 200wrms/5ch for $1000. I want it so bad, but using budget for other stuff at the moment. If it's still there when I am ready, I will definitely get it.

Marantz SR-5400 is sitting on top of the amps but rotated because I'm in the process of building my new home theater and stuff is just all over. I am just doing initial room layout and listening testing and trying to decide on screen size and speaker position, etc in my 13'w x 19'd theater room.
0321230632~01.jpg

I read this review after buying my RB-1090, but it confirmed that I made a good purchase.
https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/100rotel/index.html

Last edited:

glass330

Thank you for the detailed review. I am a huge fan of this series by Rotel and wanted to share my stack Ive pieced together lately. Hoping for more reviews of all Rotel gear. Thanks again.
image.jpg

1680706694568.png

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 44

dr0ss

Thank you for the detailed review. I am a huge fan of this series by Rotel and wanted to share my stack Ive pieced together lately. Hoping for more reviews of all Rotel gear. Thanks again
That tuner is huge (for a tuner). Is it mainly empty inside?

dr0ss

So the space is to accommodate the large transformer, and to dissipate heat from a couple of big heatsinks. Does the box get very warm in operation? I find it puzzling, a solid state tuner should use practically no power and generate little heat.

LunaTempesta

I managed to pick one of these up a while back for a good price. Pristine condition, including box, manual and cables.
Was looking for an affordable option to try a power amplifier without having to spend 1k+ straight away, but still have some good power.

I can't say I notice any of the transformer hum myself, neither do I experience a loud pop on turn on. AMP gets warm, but not dramatically hot either.

Besides that, I now have it hooked up to my Denon X4700H pre-out for my front speakers. While it definitely is (for it's age?) a good sounding power amp, I cannot say I noticed a perceivable change in audio quality. I feel like the AMP shines better under higher loads, but I barely listen at those types of high volumes because of having neighbors left and right. I will give it some proper play time and see if I notice a difference switching back to the standard X4700H set up. No point powering on 2 units if I cannot hear a big difference myself. It looks nice tho, but was a tight fit in my cabinet with the already bulky X4700H.

K.Trout

I have a couple RB-1070’s and an RB-1080 I am about to start repairing. They all have left channel issues I believe. It’s a known issue though so I don’t expect too much of a headache. I have to say that this line of amps are absolutely up there in my favorites list. I don’t know how to quantify it other than they ALWAYS sound good (when both channels are working of course.). But if you have a chance to pick one up for a decent price, don’t hesitate. People frequently list them for absurd prices, but if you’re patient you can get one for $300-$400. Cheers. Thanks Amir.

SirPaulGerman

Last edited:

Laughing Rabbit

Forum Donor
Got rid of my Musical Fidelity M8xi to opt for separates. Now I'm puzzling over those, or going whole hog for Krell Solo 375 mono's + Illusion preamp. I was all set on the MFs but recently heard the Krell with Revel. Anyway, it's quite a budget stretch, as I only have Focal K2s now. SO. Meantime, I opted for a mint used ROTEL RA-1592 and am very pleased. The MKII is a slight DAC (384kHZ DSD MQA, which I don't use) upgrade, but I can't tell much, if any diff, between this one (368kHZ/16-32 bit) and my old stand-by, TOPPING DX-7Pro. Point is, Rotel makes GREAT stuff for the money. A dozen power transistors down each side, and one massive toroidal, XLR, and every input and more, that I'd ever need. But the Krell 'mystique' lures me on....hahaha...Question is, does it test well. Not sure it's noticeably better SNR and THD than the MF separates...oh well, just wandrin' fer a spell. Have to seek some input on Krell separates...

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Skip the mystique. Go for the value and keep the Rotel. Sure, there is equipment that measures better, but for all practical purposes, all of it’s below the threshold of human hearing...If measurements are of issue to you, Krell isn’t going to wow you either.

Still own a 1095 amp. I’m an old school guy. Thing’s a beast and I love it in all it’s massive 80lb. finned A/B amp glory. it’ll be a sad day we part ways...mainly because I suspect I’m the one that’s going to go first….

Rabidbeast666

I've had this Amp for about a yr and really like it. I was running to my main Revel F35s but have since switched to 2 Parasound hca750s as monoblocks and use the 1070 bi-amped to a Monitor audio silver 5i center and like this setup more. Dialog is much cleaner and great separation in soundtracks. Dual subs do most of the heavy lifting in bass areas for the main Soundstage. Everything sounds quick, responsive and detailed. Late night movies are less obnoxious as well.

OJAUSSIE

Looks OK for a top view.
1360179-2f0fd860-rotel-rb1070.jpg
If that doesn't look like a current RB1552MKII I'll eat my hat. That said these were always an entry level power amp for those that couldn't afford nearly double the price for the 200watt/channel version. As of 2020 and beyond all Rotels are significantly improved in every area and still excellent value and bang for buck.

Top Bottom