• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L PO100, PO100 PRO & PO100 AK - Measurements (Digital Interfaces & DAC)

nerone

Happy New Year 2023, ASR Folks !

As suggested in the conclusion, I don't recommend the PO100 AK at all. So yes, either the E30ii or D10S are the way to go.

Hello, I was interested in buying the PO100 AK, it seems that the analog output is defective, I await your new review of the new P0100AK they sent you to evaluate whether to buy it or take the Topping E30

nerone

They have already soldered this device properly to send it for testing. It is not clear where the guarantee is that I will buy the correct version. Since the correct versions are sent only to those who measure them. If we do everything honestly, we need to release a new version of the DAC, PO101 AK, for example. Although even in this case there is no guarantee that everything will be done correctly....
I hope not, otherwise I'll leave a bad review even if I buy it from Amazon

Trell

Major Contributor
They have already soldered this device properly to send it for testing. It is not clear where the guarantee is that I will buy the correct version. Since the correct versions are sent only to those who measure them. If we do everything honestly, we need to release a new version of the DAC, PO101 AK, for example. Although even in this case there is no guarantee that everything will be done correctly....
Welcome to the forum.

Are you working for SMSL?

nerone

Hi, SMSL PO100 AK just arrived from Amazon.
I connected it via smartphone to stream Tidal HiFi from its proprietary application directly to the amplifier, sadly it cuts out all the time, then I used the UAPP app, with this app everything works fine except the dac is hot to the touch
How do I know if it works correctly?
Thank you

nerone

@SMSL-Mandy, the PO100AK is MQA, designed to stream Tidal, can you tell me why it doesn't work through its application on android while it works fine with Usb Audio Player Pro app?
Thank you

Hmast

Does anyone own an SMSL PO100 with Genelec speakers? If so, do you have any problem with ISS?

Last edited:
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@SMSL-Mandy, the PO100AK is MQA, designed to stream Tidal
Not really, it is designed to play MQA, which hasn't been introduced by Tidal.

can you tell me why it doesn't work through its application on android while it works fine with Usb Audio Player Pro app?
Two things: there's plenty of USB DAC that don't work straight with Tidal Android app. Second, it isn't good for bitperfect playback anyway, nor MQA decoding (I know some updates came with mixed results). You should really stick with UAPP for playback from a phone.

nerone

Not really, it is designed to play MQA, which hasn't been introduced by Tidal.

Two things: there's plenty of USB DAC that don't work straight with Tidal Android app. Second, it isn't good for bitperfect playback anyway, nor MQA decoding (I know some updates came with mixed results). You should really stick with UAPP for playback from a phone.
Thank you for the reply
How do I know if my dac is up to date and if it works correctly?
Listening with my ears I hear no problems

taner

note is that we are using one of the Slow Roll-Off filters in the AK4493S due to MQA certification.
When I see manufacturers shift their design choices according to this "MQA" scam, I get really pissed off (like in my avatar photo).
This thing drives me nuts. Manufacturers and consumers have to pay more in order to some people at Tidal save the bandwidth so get more money.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Main small.jpg

Hmast

I don't get the point about this 10khz - 20khz range filter. What in MQA requires to filter the treble like this?

Hmast

Certainly no direct cables since S/PDIF coax is normalised at 75Ω while AES/EBU is 110.

I would rather use a regular 75Ω coax wires + these:
My order just arrived... and I thought it was coaxial RCA to XLR... it is BNC :facepalm:

Did you intend to advise a BNC to XLR cable converter or was it a mistake from you? (no offense)

Can I order some kind of BNC cable that can plug to the Neutrik converter AND the SMSL PO100 ? It's surprising as in 20 years playing with audio hardware I had never met BNC plugs, only in information technologies networks.

edit: should I order that thing? https://www.amazon.fr/Adaptateur-Connecteur-Compatible-Surveillance-Switchers/dp/B08L94LDT4
edit2: I just did (order)

Last edited:
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and I thought it was coaxial RCA to XLR... it is BN
Yes. It is clearly specified in the product name itself.;)
Did you intend to advise a BNC cable converter or was it a mistake from you?
Hum.
Neither. I meant a SDPIF coax to AES converter. This one or another (which maybe exists in regular RCA)

Yes. It's the (cheapest) way to go at this point.

Hmast

Just here to say the BNC to RCA converter has arrived and I finally could use my SMSL PO100 Pro with Genelec 8351Bs.

The sound is fantastic, it sounds like the bass is tighter which is something I wasn't expecting at all and can't really explain. I was using a GoXLR and its asymetric analog line out. Not the ideal but I have always thought it must still be near or above human-ear capabilities so I was fine with it.

I bought an SMSL PO100 Pro to make sure I hear the best possible sound my speakers can reproduce (feeding them with a digital signal). at that moment I'm tempted to say it sounds better than when they're fed with my analog GoXLR device.

The point is that I would have to perform a real ABX test to compare both sources which I am actually unable to do.

Do you think it's possible to hear an actual difference between a GoXLR aysmetric analog line out and the digital output from the SMSL PO100 Pro?

To finish, one thing for sure is quite different: the output level. The GoXLR as a consumer device has a lower output signal than profesional devices. I was surprised to hear the difference is that big. I used to listen to music at -10dB, now I'm around -40dB...

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think it's possible to hear an actual difference between a GoXLR aysmetric analog line out and the digital output from the SMSL PO100 Pro?
Yes, I think so. It is widely depending on the ADC inside your Gens.

Always better to go straight for digital -> DSP inside your speakers than (maybe poor) DAC -> ADC -> DSP.

Dalroi

Hello. Long time lurker, first time post. I am having a hard time with my I2S connection between the PO100Pro and Topping D90. Based on the I2S interface in the manual, I should be in Mode 2 on the PO100Pro and STD on the D90. But I am not getting any sound. Optical and Coaxial is working. Any troubleshooting tips to get the I2S connection working? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 256261
Sorry for the late reply (been a lurker here, but only recently created an account).

I recently acquired almost the same combination of gear, the Topping D90SE and the S.M.S.L. PO100 Pro, connected through I2S. I chose that combination because the USB connection on the D90SE is already in use for another source and the PO100 Pro got good reviews (for a 5th of the price of other solutions).

Initially, I had this same problem: No sound through the I2S connection, while coax does work just fine. I found a reference on the Internet that disabling pin 16 would help: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/67506-ddc-i2s-dac-no-sound/

I grabbed a cheap HDMI cable and bent pin 16 inside using a needle and that did indeed do the trick!

All other settings are left to defaults, for the PO100: I2S Mode 2, UAC 2, for the D90SE: IIS Phase STD, IIS DSDR LRCLK, DSD Flag 15.

The fact that disabling pin 16 apparently unmutes the channel seems to imply that Topping expects a high signal to mean Mute, while S.M.S.L. seems to expect a low signal for the same and sends a high to unmute. Or perhaps there's another reason? Some missing signal to the PO100 that tells it it can unmute?

Due to the lack of standardisation of the I2S protocol through HDMI cables, it's hard to point fingers, but if my theory is correct then I tend to side with Topping here.

If we want a proper solution to this problem, I think contacting Topping has the best chance of succes: I doubt the PO100 could be updated with newer firmware, while that is an option for the D90 range...

GuyLux

I've bought a PO100pro, and tried to install drivers on my computer, running w8.1--x86 ,
Sadly, there are no drivers available, althought it's not written anywhere
Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Esprit

Forum Donor
Certainly no direct cables since S/PDIF coax is normalised at 75Ω while AES/EBU is 110.

I would rather use a regular 75Ω coax wires + these:
What is the difference with this other product?

Oukkidoukki

Hey, po100 pro came. I put it to ipad and now volume in ipad is locked in every app. Volume Puttons in ipad are not working etc. What the heck. Any help?

Top Bottom