• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$55000 Nordost cables for $60.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The best service this gentleman could provide his audience would actually be to set up a blind test between the real and knock-off Nordost cables. That could be very eye-opening (and of course, threatening to one's Golden Ears Guru status). Unfortunately, the approach instead will be to further promote dubious ideas about super expensive cables. And his audience will continue to thank him for his service to the community...:rolleyes:
The best services he could provide to himself is to sell those cables and hire a professional acoustician that builds studios and high-performance listening rooms for a living. ;) Someone who will use real measurements to turn his "lab" into a better listening area.

RustyGates

How about this version of their marketing sentence?

Properly designed diffusers, bass-absorbing pressure membranes, and absorbing panels will bolster high-end sound systems to new levels and allow listeners to finally enjoy the unattainable sound that they have been. THE END. LOL

Or...

ODIN GOLD POWER CORD​

When constructing the ultimate reference sound system, the importance of a high-quality power cord cannot be overstated. Power cords are the most crucial cables in a hifi system. They are responsible for running each component and determine the caliber of performance of even the highest-end products. As the audio industry’s preeminent mains cable, the Odin Gold Power Cord harnesses the full breadth of Nordost’s technological advances. This cable not only eliminates EMI and RFI, but promotes a faster rise time in the 50/60 Hz cycle, ensuring the instantaneous and stable delivery of the AC current necessary for premium results.

The symbiotic nature of the electrical and mechanical characteristics demonstrated in this revolutionary power cord produces an overwhelming performance upgrade. The Odin Gold Power Cord imparts an imperceptible noise floor and an enviably black background that allows articulation and depth to shine through the music in the most sophisticated systems.

bo_knows

Or...

ODIN GOLD POWER CORD​

When constructing the ultimate reference sound system, the importance of a high-quality power cord cannot be overstated. Power cords are the most crucial cables in a hifi system. They are responsible for running each component and determine the caliber of performance of even the highest-end products. As the audio industry’s preeminent mains cable, the Odin Gold Power Cord harnesses the full breadth of Nordost’s technological advances. This cable not only eliminates EMI and RFI, but promotes a faster rise time in the 50/60 Hz cycle, ensuring the instantaneous and stable delivery of the AC current necessary for premium results.

The symbiotic nature of the electrical and mechanical characteristics demonstrated in this revolutionary power cord produces an overwhelming performance upgrade. The Odin Gold Power Cord imparts an imperceptible noise floor and an enviably black background that allows articulation and depth to shine through the music in the most sophisticated systems.
Nice! I guess we won't bother with room reflections, and pressure waves since the power cord will bring the articulation and depth to shine through the music. LMAO.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How exactly do you achieve a faster rise time with a sinusoid? This is math that's beyond me :oops:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Catch it at the zero crossing, I guess.
Maybe it turns the sinusoid into a continuous zero-crossing!

/The magical powers of Oil of Snake

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! I guess we won't bother with room reflections, and pressure waves since the power cord will bring the articulation and depth to shine through the music. LMAO.

What gets me...and should be a red flag for any thinking person...is that the sonic claims for these types of products, cables!, are made without respect to any caveats in terms of system variables. For instance, general engineering principles will tell you that if you have X amplifier with certain impedance characteristics, Y speakers with certain impedance characteristics, and the speakers are, say, a long distance from the amps, the type of interactions that *might* become audible, so you choose your cable appropriately.

But in these boutique audio claims, it's like the cable isn't part of a system of interactions; the cable just "has" the properties described - imparts black backgrounds, articulation, depth, sophistication..." Just plop it in your system and these magical qualities will be imparted.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What gets me...and should be a red flag for any thinking person...is that the sonic claims for these types of products, cables!, are made without respect to any caveats in terms of system variables. For instance, general engineering principles will tell you that if you have X amplifier with certain impedance characteristics, Y speakers with certain impedance characteristics, and the speakers are, say, a long distance from the amps, the type of interactions that *might* become audible, so you choose your cable appropriately.

But in these boutique audio claims, it's like the cable isn't part of a system of interactions; the cable just "has" the properties described - imparts black backgrounds, articulation, depth, sophistication..." Just plop it in your system and these magical qualities will be imparted.
That gave me an idea for the next level of snake oil, erm, audio nirvana: Tuning the cables to your combination! You tell them your equipment and their team of scientists adjust the cables for the optimum performance.

Last edited:

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
That gave me an idea for the next level of snake oil, erm, audio nirvana: Tuning the cables to your combination! You tell them your equipment and their team of scientists adjust the cables for the optimum performance.
For $55,000, I'm sure some company can make that happen

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just gotta imagine the Nordost Marketing department having a meeting at the Ceo's place, sitting around the fire pit in a tastfully decorated Danish modern living room with their lovely young, blond spouses who all look like Britt Eckland. I see them passing around the Bong and a mirror with some "lines" cut up on it, and doubling over with laughter when someone brings out one of these cables and yells out "$55,000" while everyone nods in agreement.

DWMB

Who won?

I suppose everything is relative. If he has a system worth $1 million, as he claims he now has, $40,000 on power cables would only represent 4% of his total system budget. And possibly even less considering the very high turnover of gear and speakers he goes through.

For me, though, spending $40k on power cables is still astonishing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe because I'm a boring engineer, I can't see spending even $100 on a cord unless it does something measurable besides conduct AC to my gear.

Frank2

Who won?

I suppose everything is relative. If he has a system worth $1 million, as he claims he now has, $40,000 on power cables would only represent 4% of his total system budget. And possibly even less considering the very high turnover of gear and speakers he goes through.

He won.. He probably is an influencer earning the money for his gear by plugging snake oil cables. He surely loves to hear himself talk...

Hatto

I knew they were overcharging. I think the Chinese ones come without the soundstage, depth and colour. Doesn't matter you can buy a 16oz can of it and fill the cables yourself to get as much soundstage as you can imagine.

One American shopper loved them. It may or may not be a Stereophile reviewer. Just saying

AliExpress Shopper
US

Color:
US Plug Length: 1.5m Logistics: AliExpress Standard Shipping
Blown away how good this is. HUGE, massive build quality. Needs to burn in 300+ hours, but so far everything is elevated. I have it on my Jotunheim 2 headphone amp. Bass and treble is more extended, bass has more 'root' and slam. resolution is increased...treble is detailed and revealing but a little hot out of the box. The overall depth and clarity has improved. Very recommended, best $120 you can spend to upgrade your audio system.
WOW!

That's crazy expensive!

Who in the right mind would pay $55 for a 0.5m AC cable?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
WOW!

That's crazy expensive!

Who in the right mind would pay $55 for a 0.5m AC cable?
I understand that Odin himself made this one.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Who won?

As for budget, just because I can afford $100/gallon milk doesn't mean I'm smart to buy it.

Top Bottom