• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Toku

Major Contributor
I received the Topping D50, with Ps4 worked fine, but on pc.. I tried it without installing nothing, with 44khz or 384khz it maked noticeable distortion even on low volumes, so i tried installing the driver, same distortion, then i tried downloading firmware V1. 02, same, anyway.. I Read that for V1. 02 the S/n needed to be from 1710 to 1807, mine was 1811, but it still worked with the same distortion, so first, i don't know how to get back V1.03 that was pre-installed in stock, i tried factory reset the D50 but nothing, was still V1. 02.. Second, i Wanna try to solve the distortion issue on PC.. I asked Topping, i'll wait the response. If someone know please, an help would really be appreciated :)
If you want to change the firmware version back to Ver1.03 please send an e-mail to Tooping's service department "[email protected]". They will send you the file "D50_dfu _ ***. Bin" for Ver1.03 as an attached file.

By the way I do not know the existence of Ver 1.03.
Was definitely Ver1.03 firmware installed on the D50 you bought?

Viper Necklampy

If you want to change the firmware version back to Ver1.03 please send an e-mail to Tooping's service department "[email protected]". They will send you the file "D50_dfu _ ***. Bin" for Ver1.03 as an attached file.

By the way I do not know the existence of Ver 1.03.
Was definitely Ver1.03 firmware installed on the D50 you bought?
Yeah tried to contacted them yesterday, still waiting a response.. Yes, it says Revision V1.03 before i downloaded and installed the firmware V1.02, after that was V1.02.. I guess ''Revision'' means ''Firmware''.. Still giving it plenty hours of very low volume to moderate volume (now) pre burn-in :) My little cutie boy :D I don't even tried it high volumes, i'm gonna enjoy it soon..

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Yeah tried to contacted them yesterday, still waiting a response.. Yes, it says Revision V1.03 before i downloaded and installed the firmware V1.02, after that was V1.02.. I guess ''Revision'' means ''Firmware''.. Still giving it plenty hours of very low volume to moderate volume (now) pre burn-in :) My little cutie boy :D I don't even tried it high volumes, i'm gonna enjoy it soon..
Thank you for the information.
I already purchased two D50s and encountered various troubles. I reported the trouble to Topping many times by email, and some of the troubles were improved.
However, with trouble still remaining in Ver 1.02 I was waiting for new firmware to be announced.

yapst38

Hi all

Presently I have the topping D50 how do you read latest firmware from the screen.

Graham!

Truly an incredible forum with legit non biased information on audio. I just purchased the Topping D50, after trying the SMSL M8A, musical fidelity v90, and Cambridge DacMagic. Love the D50. I’m running chromecast with an optical to the D50, and it’s connected directly to my Marantz 2270 with Ascend Sierra 1s. I’ve been trying to determine if it’s super dumb to connect the USB power from the D50 to an iPhone wall charger, and use that as my power source? Is that audiophile treachery? Do I need a better linear supply or other power source? THANKS and apologies if this has been asked and answered. I couldn’t quite determine after reading through comments.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I’ve been trying to determine if it’s super dumb to connect the USB power from the D50 to an iPhone wall charger, and use that as my power source?
I grab whatever charger I have handy including a number of phone chargers. No issues at all. I suggest using branded ones though for safety reasons (Apple, Samsung, LG, etc.).

NemoReborn

I grab whatever charger I have handy including a number of phone chargers. No issues at all. I suggest using branded ones though for safety reasons (Apple, Samsung, LG, etc.).

does it have any improvement or positive point going with phone charge or any other power source other than the Desktop usb ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
does it have any improvement or positive point going with phone charge or any other power source other than the Desktop usb ?
I think I measured this very early on in this thread. But no, I would not worry about which source powers it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just upgraded firmware to version 1.03, right channel problem not resolved....
Since this is now shown to be a problem with SMSL SU-8 too, seems like a design flaw in the ESS DAC chip.

gorg

Yeah i was reading this before, but does this problem affect us normal listeners users? I don't speak why right driver shut off to you: Only if you put sound for the left only for some second and then your right stop working?
1. It's no issue to "normal" listeners, just during RoomEq measurements.
2. Right channel shuts off after couple of seconds when only right channel is working.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

bboris77

Reliability has been very good on D50 so that is not that much of a worry. But I am with you on the $50 and longer shipping time from massdrop.

I have had mine for 3 weeks and it is rock solid. No glitches of any kind to report, except the slightly crooked Hi-Res Audio sticker on top of the unit :)
I peel those off anyway as they detract from the sleekness of the unit.

Exalanoto

Can anyone recomend a good power supply? For EU use. Ive seen a few "hifi" PSU's on Ebay, for like 50 bucks.

Top Bottom