• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Avantone Pro MixCube Monitor Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 169 83.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 15 7.4%

• Total voters

Hexspa

Not sure what the point is of giving it a rating or trying to be objective about it. It's a purposedly broken speaker that's application specific, just like the NS10m is.
It's broken, yet it does it's job perfectly.
For me, it's about finding out why I've liked it and trusted it for the past decade or so. A bit of a personal crusade, I'm a bit wary of hype without substance so reducing the speakers to their bare minimum is helpful for me. I can't speak about others.

Hexspa

Car radios, even bad ones, haven't sounded that way in about 20 years.
Perhaps but the road noise masks some of the low end, right? I think it's also likely that, being off axis, a lot of the highest frequencies miss your ears. The point being that, though the stock stereo of today's vehicles may outperform those of bygone eras, what ultimately makes it into our brains during a ride might not differ as much.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Car radios, even bad ones, haven't sounded that way in about 20 years.
If you knew the crap that I currently have on my car ... you know a car radio integrated to the on-board computer with touch buttons or you can absolutely not change anything! In short, it is a daily punishment ... no need for training to discriminate the distortion here :)

I miss the pioneer and alpine of 30 years ago!

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no randomness. There's a peak at 5khz and 7kHz with a dip between, and smaller peaks above those. As I've said, 5kHz is an important band because it's above most of the fundamentals of any instrument, piano C8 is ~4192Hz, and the start of the sibilant range. It may make sense to have a peak there. Maybe flat is better for working on that band and maybe it's not. Incidentally, the ATC SCM25A has a 5dB narrow dip at 7kHz and, again, that's the subjective gold standard for translation according to many rabid fans.

I'm not the only one spouting the same lines, you know. When you keep saying 'random' and 'bad', it leads nowhere. We can discuss the merits of a particular frequency range being boosted or attenuated or linear but 'random' is very difficult to conceive let alone discuss. 'Bad' is strictly subjective or a shorthand for 'out of tolerance'. I understand that you do not tolerate this speaker as a whole and that is ok but its raison detre is not neutrality. You suspect that linear amplitude responses are logically best for translation - and I agree that it's logical. What I don't necessarily agree is that this is the way it plays out in practice. Many people claim that such speakers are hard to mix on. I'm not one of those people because I've never used such a speaker; my equipment is known.

The point of all of this is not to create frustration but to identify whether Harman 'Preference' has any bearing on 'Translation' and, if so, which metrics are most important. Yes, you believe that amplitude neutrality is key but many will argue against you. At this time, it is the suspicion of myself and others that time-domain aspects may be equally if not more important than a linear amplitude response within +-XdB; let's say 3dB. If it is 3dB, how much is gained or lost by more or less variation. What bandwidth needs to comply because the SCM25 doesn't comply at 7kHz nor below 60Hz, etc. Translation is not proven to share a linear relationship with a linear amplitude response.
I'm definitely leaving you be now, not gonna continue the discussion with you, I've voiced my opinions in a logical way without much room for misinterpretation, yet you continue harp back to what you're going on there in the start of your second paragraph (continual misrepresentation of the points I've been making), I don't think you're really discoursing in particularly good faith and besides I've voiced all my opinions on the topic anyway. About your third paragraph, I think you're getting hung up on stuff that isn't important, the frequency response spinorama is the most important aspect. But anyway, thanks for sending the speaker in to Amir to be measured, which is commendable.

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
Has anyone tried high pass filtering a loudspeaker then taking a group delay measurement?
Low frequency group delay (alias phase response) of any wide-range driver is only a function of its frequency magnitude response, just like with any other minimum-phase system.

KSTR

Major Contributor
I'm not an engineer nor a loudspeaker expert so really I'm looking for the right measurement that shows me 'good transient response'. Is group delay part of it? Is that related to 'acoustic source position'? Does 'step response' have anything to do with it? To what extent are the HF series of resonances working against 'good transients'?
"Good transient response" is generally there, technically, when you have
a) minimum phase response, no extra phase distortion from the typical multi-way crossovers
b) lack of severely ringing resonances, in other words: rather smooth frequency response

Hexspa

I'm definitely leaving you be now, not gonna continue the discussion with you, I've voiced my opinions in a logical way without much room for misinterpretation, yet you continue harp back to what you're going on there in the start of your second paragraph (continual misrepresentation of the points I've been making), I don't think you're really discoursing in particularly good faith and besides I've voiced all my opinions on the topic anyway. About your third paragraph, I think you're getting hung up on stuff that isn't important, the frequency response spinorama is the most important aspect. But anyway, thanks for sending the speaker in to Amir to be measured, which is commendable.
How come you get to 'voice' your opinions but when I do it, it's 'harping', 'spouting', and 'getting hung up on stuff'?

I'm definitely arguing in good faith but maybe I'm not making myself clear. Let me try it with bullet points:

• 1. I am born I get into audio and start at zero consequently accepting almost everything without much frame of reference.
  • 2. I discover Spinorama and think it's the last word on loudspeakers
  • 3. Regrettably, I post on gearspace requesting a spin of the SCM25A pro and subsequently get dog piled by feisty fans who say, practically in unison, things like, "I can't mix on flat loudspeakers like the KH 310, the SCM25A is the standard, who the **** are you? What do measurements have to do with whether a speaker works in a pro environment," et cetera, ad nauseam...
  • 4. Meanwhile, my Mixcube is in the Pacific Northwest awaiting its spin.
  • 5. We receive the shocking news that this speaker looks objectively broken. Interestingly, the review mentions that several aspects of the usual data do not apply nearfield.
  • 6. The data and Amir's opinion conflict with my experience that this is a useful speaker and I say so
  • 7. It becomes obvious that 'translation' quality of a loudspeaker is undefined
  • 8. We discuss as to how to define it
  • 9. You disagree that this speaker is literally worth anything more than actual, stinking refuse and vehemently reject it in the absolute sense with the prejudice of a thousand Supreme Court Justices
  • 10. I try to explain the course of events with bullet points (but then realize that an ordered list would've been more appropriate and now my list looks like rump)

You demand that I don't repeat myself so I will not. Please reread what I've said if you wish to understand. Logic is no alien in my cognitive universe. With utmost certainty, I have made pristinely clear that I think this speaker has merit for its intended purpose and I simply wish to know what that is in objective terms.

Thank you for almost commending me, the whiff of commendation almost made me feel honored. :)

Last edited:

Hexspa

"Good transient response" is generally there, technically, when you have
a) minimum phase response, no extra phase distortion from the typical multi-way crossovers
b) lack of severely ringing resonances, in other words: rather smooth frequency response
Then I guess whatever punchy transients I heard, whether imagined or real, must've come from the lack of crossover since this speaker resonates like xylophone. Does group delay have nothing to do with it or step response? I guess I'm having a hard time accepting that the crossover is the whole issue. Again, I'll have to do my best to make a fair comparison to my Yamaha HS50 to see if this speaker sounds to me as sharp as I remember.

KSTR

Major Contributor
A loudspeaker, when seen as a linear (or only weakly distorting) system, is fully described by its impulse response (IR) which can be measured in a variety of ways.
Once you have the IR data, you can display it in many different ways:
- As is (impulse response), almost useless though
- Step Response (which is the integral of the IR)
- Frequency Response of magnitude and phase the ususal Bode plot form, or any other form for that matter (Nyquist plot)
- Waterfall / Burst Decay (a number of short-term "windowed" magnitude frequency responses layered up)

Last edited:

Hexspa

Low frequency group delay (alias phase response) of any wide-range driver is only a function of its frequency magnitude response, just like with any other minimum-phase system.
Thank you. Does that mean that the lower a loudspeaker plays in terms of frequency that the longer the group delay is? I'm hearing, "group delay...is a function frequency ... response." Is that true? Then what's all this talk about a sealed cabinet having less group delay? I'm really ignorant on this specific topic but my current understanding is that ported designs can contribute to greater delay of the bass region. Is that simply just because they extend the bass region to be lower in frequency?

ElJaimito

I have a pair of original Auratones from the 1970's and still use them always in mixdown and reference mix comparisons (though that's rarely, nowadays). I had to re-foam them a few years ago, the original Auratones like mine had a roll surround and did not exhibit so much of the nasty upper mid/low hf of these Avantones -- speakers which I would avoid.

I have not read every post, but I suspect there's a bit of mis-understanding going on about this class of monitors. I'm confident they were originally introduced to replace the grot-box, but mixers rapidly grasped that they forced concentration on the essential mid-frequencies of the mix, and encouraged precise balancing in that area, oddly, including ensuring that bass and bass drum balance is adequate on band-limited playback systems, Once that is all alright, then you turn them off and use better monitors to deal with the ends of the spectrum (while still checking on them).

As to why use them instead of, say, bandpass filters or some form of emulation, well people get used to what material sounds like and should sound like on their equipment, plus you could stick'em in a bag and take them to another studio with ease. They also have startlingly good imaging and no port!

Myself, I prefer my originals to any of the reissued Auratones, and did not like any of the substitutes offered by other manufacturers.

There’s contemporary frequency responses of a re-issue of the original Auratones (brighter with a peak) at:

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I...DX/80s/Studio-Sound-1984-10-OCR-Page-0098.pdf

Also comparative reviews of the originals, more recent reissues and Avantones at:

https://en.audiofanzine.com/passive...ube-2014/editorial/reviews/mystical-aura.html

Do note the 1/6th 8ve smoothing.

Behringer also did a soundcube and I recall a couple of others, none of which ever tempted me. There's a review of those explaining why they are not utterly awful, and Auratones are useful, at:

In any case, improvements to overall frequency response are not the point here, the restrictions on it are what is important, much as with the truly awful (but very useful) Yamaha NS-10s, which replaced many of these. If you want good balanced monitors, Auratones are not they! And these, even less so.

Last edited:

Hexspa

A loudspeaker, when seen as a linear (or only weakly distorting) system, is fully described by its impulse response (IR) which can be measured in a variety of ways.
Once you have the IR data, you can display it in many different ways:
- As is (impulse response), almost useless though
- Step Response (which is the integral of the IR)
- Frequency Response of magnitude and phase the ususal Bode plot form, or any other form for that matter (Nyquist plot)
- Waterfall / Burst Decay (a number of short-term "windowed" magnitude frequency responses layered up)
Yes, I'm somewhat familiar with the transformations you can make with minimum phase. You said this:

So crossovers, in addition to amplitude ringing, both affect the impulse response, right? I know that filters shift phase, is that true also for the acoustic filter of the loudspeaker cabinet? And if so, is that phase shift similarly 'smearing transients' in the same way amplitude resonances and phase distortion from crossovers are?

Bottom line: ringing ruins transients - established from you and Toole. What I'm not clear about is the 'crossover phase distortion' and effect of sealed-vs-ported cabinets on transient response. Until now, I just thought it was solely the amplitude ringing and suspected that sealed cabinets somehow had better transient response.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Of course it did - software can't do everything!
I never said that. And this speaker can’t do anything even remotely close to what can be done with software. I can guarantee that software is far, far more useful than this speaker could ever be for checking mixes.

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for this. I guess we could argue that we all need a pair of $15 iems for the utmost in group delay performance. Has anyone tried high pass filtering a loudspeaker then taking a group delay measurement? The review to which I linked (which I found through the Avantone site) says there's no decay because of the acoustic high pass filtering. Group delay isn't something I've looked into much. If it isn't obvious, I'm not an engineer nor a loudspeaker expert so really I'm looking for the right measurement that shows me 'good transient response'. Is group delay part of it? Is that related to 'acoustic source position'? Does 'step response' have anything to do with it? To what extent are the HF series of resonances working against 'good transients'?

yes group delay is most important for good transients. for me on speaker it sound always as the kickdrum beater hit come more before the boom of the kick. it seem brain can correct frequency errors better as phase errors, because when see headphone FR it is is not very linear . see a new ? headphone for 210$ of the famous beyerdynamic factory it is in production and it is very high ratet many people like it

i try now find more txt files that can import in rew and see group delay, maybe subwoofers are better in group delay. need to check . erin test subwoofers

EDIT: erin offer no txt file but he show group delay and on this can see at least this large subwoofer have good low group delay https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/subwoofer_testing/monolith_13_thx_ultra/

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
Thank you for this. I guess we could argue that we all need a pair of $15 iems for the utmost in group delay performance. Has anyone tried high pass filtering a loudspeaker then taking a group delay measurement? The review to which I linked (which I found through the Avantone site) says there's no decay because of the acoustic high pass filtering. Group delay isn't something I've looked into much. If it isn't obvious, I'm not an engineer nor a loudspeaker expert so really I'm looking for the right measurement that shows me 'good transient response'. Is group delay part of it? Is that related to 'acoustic source position'? Does 'step response' have anything to do with it? To what extent are the HF series of resonances working against 'good transients'?

Group delay is directly related to frequency response and phase. A sealed speaker is a 2nd order system (12dB/octave amplitude rolloff) and a ported speaker a 4th order (24dB/octave amplitude rollof). As such a sealed speaker has a lower phase shift and lower group delay. If you high pass a loudspeaker you introduce additional phase shift and group delay.

People are not very sensitive to group delay. The academic consensus is that group delay doesn't matter in practice, as the acoustics of a room introduce a lot of group delay by itself. It might be of more importance when listening near field, in an acoustically treated room. However, sensitivity to group delay is mainly relevant for low frequencies. The ones the Avantones don't reproduce ... We already have threads dedicated to this topic, like https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/importance-of-impulse-response.38960/

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm also not sure of how influential it is, but I do know listening to a small point source speaker is a different experience (and I don't mean because of the limited frequency response). It's gives you kind of a helicopter view on the music, instead of being surrounded by a sound field. The closer you sit to a speaker the more important the point source element becomes. It's one of the reasons engineers sometimes take it even one step further and listen to a single speaker.

I also believe the reason this types of speakers can be helpful to some is because of their strengths and not their weaknesses (uneven frequency response and resonances). The original Auratones are better in that regard. The problem is that 30 years ago there were no small full range drivers that come close to the ideal anechoic flat response (and DSP didn't exist). (I once build my own version using Visaton drivers, with better result than these Avantones but still far from ideal in the high end).
Seems a coaxial LS50 would be better. And so now we value a pinpoint image of a broken design crossoverless speaker to simulate lo-fi? Why, because tabletop radios, TVs, and car stereos in their common use are by those who care about images? Strange thinking here. It was for this reason I mentioned LS 3/5a speakers and LS50s. They image very well if that is what you're looking for even if I think the idea is misguided.

Last edited:
Top Bottom