• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 75.5%

• Total voters

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Let’s get back on Topic and take this side conversation to a separate thread. This is an Official Product Review Thread.

Further off topic posts will be deleted and posters banned from this Thread.

Please and thank you for your understanding and support.

pma

Major Contributor
Let’s get back on Topic and take this side conversation to a separate thread. This is an Official Product Review Thread.

Further off topic posts will be deleted and posters banned from this Thread.

Please and thank you for your understanding and support.
Understood. On topic - how nice amplifier is this Hypex Nilai500DIY. It has textbook performance when measured at 1kHz when measured with 20kHz bandwidth. SOTA, there is nothing better, at least at the moment.
I hope this post fulfills the requirements for the review thread post.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, and I could be in error, but I was under the impression that retailers could not and were not to sell the DIY components as kits or otherwise. It kind of defeats the purpose of Hypex offering a direct to user product at a reduced price if retailers can jump in the middle and add to the cost. It also isn't fair if retailers get some sort of discount on the DIY products so that they can sell them in competition with Hypex for a profit.

I have had discussions with Hypex on the very issues you mention. As you have discovered, one can be an OEM and a reseller. This same challenge is addressed by many companies that have retail channels but offer direct internet sales too. As Hypex is not offering assembled versions of Nilai, it makes sense to allow value-add resellers to do so.

As I know you are frustrated by Nilai availability concerns, I have a couple of suggestions. Either, look to other very good alternatives or contact Hypex more directly at https://www.diyclassd.com/contact/ These challenges are industry-wide and have affected Purifi too. If you want to buy something sooner, then would not wait. At this point, some of the unfriendly banter may have kept our ASR contact away. So he may not respond to posts on the forum. He does have plenty of other work to do, but have found Hypex staff to be responsive to direct queries.:)

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, just frustration. I am going to forego the nilai and go with the NCx instead. Have discussed this with a few commercial sellers and it sounds like the NCx will be available to them in several weeks, rather than who knows with the nilai. Thanks for your reply.

goryu

...how much better is this than the old NC500 module...???...would you get the old one if it was in stock and cheap...???...

Have owned the nc500 and currently am using the nc1200. Going to an active 4 way system and want the latest and greatest....

goryu

...what is the NC1200...???...

...I don't especially need the very latest and greatest...2ed tier will do...so long as it doesn't suk...
nc1200 is the nc500's big brother. Existing ncore modules sound like what you are looking for.

Hapo

...I could not find anything but parts for one...LoL...

...I have my eye on an amp but it is not @ Amazon...so I want to be sure it doesn't suk...can't find anything on it...

...I want the power...I am comparing this to an Adcom GFA 5500...

...a Niles SI 2150 has showed me class D does not have to suk...it is sort of puny though...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Understood. On topic - how nice amplifier is this Hypex Nilai500DIY. It has textbook performance when measured at 1kHz when measured with 20kHz bandwidth. SOTA, there is nothing better, at least at the moment.
I hope this post fulfills the requirements for the review thread post.

@pma masters the fine art of sarcasm. Wonders will never cease. ;)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, just frustration. I am going to forego the nilai and go with the NCx instead. Have discussed this with a few commercial sellers and it sounds like the NCx will be available to them in several weeks, rather than who knows with the nilai. Thanks for your reply.

You are quite welcome. For use with an active crossover as you are planning, pretty sure you do not need as much power as NCx500 offers, but if cost is not a major concern, then go for it.

As our very gracious moderator has suggested, probably should move this discussion elsewhere but look forward to seeing what you put together. :cool:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was not lost on me. I have a sense of humor too…

Seems more like he was teasing you as I find his post to be quite accurate rather than sarcastic! :)

Last edited:

Dunlavyphile

Forum Donor
I just got my monoblock kits and built them yesterday. Is there is a "breaking in period" they'd need before I posted any impressions? And is there is any reason why my (unavoidably) subjective impressions would be of interest in this thread?

They're replacing Bel Canto REF600M amps, which are based on NCore. So not much of a change, really.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I just got my monoblock kits and built them yesterday. Is there is a "breaking in period" they'd need before I posted any impressions? And is there is any reason why my (unavoidably) subjective impressions would be of interest in this thread?

They're replacing Bel Canto REF600M amps, which are based on NCore. So not much of a change, really.
No breaking in period for solid state electronics. Listening impressions wont mean much other than a distinction between “it sounds fine” and “its faulty”

Redwine

Any input appreciated, Bel Canto is allready a very fine amp, but why not input? Take it or leave it!

Rob Fens

Sadly, there's a cohort who feel its their duty to religiously prosecute the narrative that 20-20kHz is all that matters. Because a deeply vested interest wrote a white paper or they read something a guru wrote and took it to heart as gospel.

But, if you or I had created Class D amplifiers like Hypex or Purifi, we'd attempt to paint them in the best light possible- I've said that before. But I wouldn't stoop to blatant misrepresentation and neither would you. Pure marketing wins and it seems, some people are falling for it. Not me.

I have power amplifiers where the HF distortion is precisely trimmed to a minimum level during setup. A 20kHz signal is injected and the harmonics (up to 200kHz) are monitored and the HF THD trim is tweaked to a minimum. That is so they produce their rated (0.003%) THD across the entire specified bandwidth and meet their advertised specifications in accordance with regulations. Try doing that with a 20kHz measurement bandwidth.

View attachment 267495

Another, a 1982 Perreaux PMF-2150B 200wpc@8R/400wpc@4R power amplifier has a rated THD at 20kHz and 200 watts RMS continuous of 0.009% or lower. The HF THD adjustment must be made at full power and at 20kHz, monitoring harmonics. Try that with a Class D. The last one I adjusted, was 0.004% at 20kHz at 200w. A difficult trim, but they took their responsibilities to adhere to specifications seriously.

View attachment 267493

Hypex/Purifi et al, just throw all that out the window and draw a line at 20kHz and say "nothing to see here- move along". Their THD, power and efficiency numbers have been, continue to be and likely will remain, cherry picked. That is until some authority pulls them up and requires honest disclosure.

But we have more in common than not. Everyone here on ASR is interested in fidelity, music and HiFi gear. Some people come at it a different way than others and place more emphasis on standards and disclosure- others just want to press a button and listen to music. Everyone is different.
John,

I read your reply dd. oct14-2019 regarding a Musical Fidelity integrated amp which mentioned 20-20,000 Hz and you showed no objections, even declared it as standard.
But you appear to be allergic about the same spectrum when the subject is class D. And i am still curious about cd vs class d regarding the frequency range.
Please enlighten me.

Best regards,
Rob.

Whatsthephuss

All this back and forth would cease to exist if @amirm would test both ways. But alas, it’s points of contention that drive forums. If we all agreed and solved all of the worlds problems there wouldn’t be much to talk about now would there…

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
John,

I read your reply dd. oct14-2019 regarding a Musical Fidelity integrated amp which mentioned 20-20,000 Hz and you showed no objections, even declared it as standard.
But you appear to be allergic about the same spectrum when the subject is class D. And i am still curious about cd vs class d regarding the frequency range.
Please enlighten me.

Best regards,
Rob.

Here we go again...

The standard power and distortion ratings are for a typical audible spectrum between 20Hz and 20,000Hz.

Such has been the case for many decades, and indeed, is still required for advertised specifications. A strict range of frequencies and range of power outputs (250mW to rated power) over which the amplifier can deliver its rated power and rated distortion at any frequency. Not just one frequency where the number looks good for the spec sheet.

Hypex/Purifi and some others from the far east thumb their noses at this. Their specifications are non-compliant in that regard.

They pick 1kHz (easy) and state a THD number. That is their sole claim to fame.
They don't provide a full power bandwidth (-3dB) specification, or state the power and THD over a specified bandwidth with both/all channels driven.

Here's an example of compliant, current specifications from a US manufacturer.
1678404481270.png

The above power output claims, THD claims and IM claims are in accordanced with FTC required standards for advertised ratings. I see even the latest offerings from Schiit are eschewing proper specifications, not specifying loads, frequency range, distortion clearance range or numbers of channels driven. Hopefully they will clean up their act too.

Anyway, there's plenty on ASR and plenty of discussion in relation to this. Cheers.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here we go again...
Indeed.
The standard power and distortion ratings are for a typical audible spectrum between 20Hz and 20,000Hz.

Such has been the case for many decades, and indeed, is still required for advertised specifications. A strict range of frequencies and range of power outputs (250mW to rated power) over which the amplifier can deliver its rated power and rated distortion at any frequency. Not just one frequency where the number looks good for the spec sheet.

Hypex/Purifi and some others from the far east thumb their noses at this. Their specifications are non-compliant in that regard.
Really? Oh, and by the way, that "from the far east" slur... How is that different from all the "designed and assembled in the US (from boards made in China)" products?

Screenshot from 2023-03-09 18-57-11.png

Top Bottom