• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Better speakers than my current genelec 8030c for nearfield

OP
N

neg

Why not KH150?
I am almost sure that I've listened it before buy genelecs 1-2 years ago. As far as I remember 8030 give better clarity, with a little bit thinner and smooth midrange. KH150 sounded a little bit more "overblown".

Trell

Major Contributor
I am almost sure that I've listened it before buy genelecs 1-2 years ago. As far as I remember 8030 give better clarity, with a little bit thinner and smooth midrange. KH150 sounded a little bit more "overblown".

I thought the KH150 was available September 2022.

OP
N

neg

I thought the KH150 was available September 2022.
It seems I've listened to Neumann KH 120A, not sure it's the same model or not. There are two guys with me also on the listening session. They consider that 8030 sounds better overall, but back-placed phase inverter is not appropriate for them.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
KH150 didn't exist then
Anyways I'd go for an active vs a passive KEF in any case as I don't want to mess with Ampa DACs and cables
Id consider , 8341 or KH150 or Focal Solo6

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The problem is that he can’t use the MiniDSP software on Linux.

This is what I use as an alternative:

1677956596089.png

The Windows software works under wine as well, but often crashes with certain operations. Though annoying, re-plugging the device's power and re-connecting will get you back on track.

1677956946595.png

spamilton

I have been using the 8030C for my PC setup for a few years. I've been through enough speakers to know that very few would be an upgrade. KEFs are a pretty clear downgrade IMO. I have the 8351B on my long-term wish list, but I'm not sure if I'll ever pull the trigger. The KH150 seems to be getting great feedback, so that could be a reasonable upgrade as well. The 8030 is just already a very good speaker, but I'm sure all understand the upgradeitis. As far as bass extension, I prefer to get my bass from L and R for nearfield applications, but it's just personal preference whether you want a sub or not.

Digby

Major Contributor
somewhat controversial, but I preferred the Behringer b2031A to Genelec 8030c. They are a good deal bigger though, so bear that in mind.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll be surprised how adding a subwoofer crossed at 120Hz suddenly removes the thinness from the 8030 - so matching the 8030 to a capable subwoofer adds much needed mid-bass power that completely transforms the speaker. As long as you are nearfield, it honestly doesn't get much better than the 8030 + subwoofer. I have in my collection pairs of 8320, 8330, 8331, 8050, 8350, 8351 and 8040 and I've ran all of them near field in my editing studio (matched to the 7370 sub) before moving them to my home theater system and I can tell you that at nearfield, the Genelec 8330 is nearly identical to the 8350 at nearfield when matched to the same subwoofer. 8350 offers higher SPL for mid-field listening but that's it.

The only question is how big a subwoofer to get? This depends on the size of your room not so much the size of your speakers - for example, if you're sitting nearfield to the 8030 but you're in a living room with vaulted ceilings (60'W x 70'L x 18'H), a small subwoofer will be swallowed up by the room and you'd likely need two 15" Subwoofers.
I'm a big fan of the Monoprice THX series of affordable subwoofers that don't have any internal DSP but gives you the most accurate bass bang for the buck (often sold out but check both Amazon and Monoprice's website):
  • 8-inch $350
  • 412891.jpg
  • 10-inch $550
  • 428431.jpg

Last edited:

mubix77

Active and audiophile but I'm open to anything good. Listening on desktop from a meter away.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Active and audiophile but I'm open to anything good. Listening on desktop from a meter away.
Assuming you're ok with paying for "the best", so I'll recommend the Genelec 8331 (The Ones) for $5,000 per pair. These are active speakers so you're saving on space and the expense of an amplifier/cables.

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 10.59.50 AM.png

Doesn't get much better for nearfield listening. Comes in white, black and grey. Adding a Genelec Smart Sub (like the 7360) with GLM transforms it into a full range listening system with full room correction designed to combine both sub/speaker. The magic of this system really is the GLM system DSP. Also looks amazing in white eh?

My only concession to "audiophile" grade is that it comes in white LOL. I honestly can't think of another coax active speaker I could recommend that comes close to being this good that's cheaper (the level of R&D that goes into designing high performance coax speakers is very high due to all the complications they have to overcome).

Last edited:
OP
N

neg

I've been through enough speakers to know that very few would be an upgrade. KEFs are a pretty clear downgrade
I've listened to kef r3 meta. Actually it's good enough speakers. It has better clarity and detail retrival in comparison with genelec 8030 even by-memory. Also it has more precise positioning. Unfortunately kefs are kinda slow and boring for me, also no bass at all. Bass in genelec 8030 very limited, but in r3 it's just terrible in comparison for me. Also some part on lows(lowmid or smth) are feels elevated in r3. In the same time there is "relaxed" treble. Maybe it's because of room, but come on, I've auditioned r3 in treated room and despite of it's of course technically better some way I would prefer my basic 8030 in my non-treated room. Maybe kefs can do way better, but to be honest it seems that it's just not my cup of tea.

I have the 8351B on my long-term wish list, but I'm not sure if I'll ever pull the trigger
After a long thoughts I've considered to buy 2x 8351B in the future. It seems to be quiet ultimate for near-field. Can be upgraded with 2x w371 in future which will be better than 8c and another competitors. Also I can add 7360 sub to get more bass as temporary solution. Well, it's kinda overpriced, but there is no alternatives for me. Actually I can afford them next year.

Also it seems that genelec in general more pleasant to listen than 8c and kii three. I feel it even with my basic 8030.
I already felt it in comparison even with my 8030, but I thought that this was a consequence of their wretchedness in comparison to 8c.)
Overall, I would describe the 8c as beautiful, but not as pleasant. Yes, the sound is clear and quite correct,
but there is something that creates discomfort.​

OP
N

neg

You'll be surprised how adding a subwoofer crossed at 120Hz suddenly removes the thinness from the 8030 - so matching the 8030 to a capable subwoofer adds much needed mid-bass power that completely transforms the speaker. As long as you are nearfield, it honestly doesn't get much better than the 8030 + subwoofer. I have in my collection pairs of 8320, 8330, 8331, 8050, 8350, 8351 and 8040 and I've ran all of them near field in my editing studio (matched to the 7370 sub) before moving them to my home theater system and I can tell you that at nearfield, the Genelec 8330 is nearly identical to the 8350 at nearfield when matched to the same subwoofer. 8350 offers higher SPL for mid-field listening but that's it.
After I've read about w371 and phase correction for sub in GLM I've considered to spend more money and buy 8351b as it's better investment for the future.
Understanding my mentality it will be reasonable. Definitely I will always think that there is something better
if I stay on two-way speakers. Also it's seems coax can be better in some ways after experience of r3. In general, it seemed to
me that it's are technically better, just the tonal balance is not to my taste, or something is wrong with the amplifier.​

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After I've read about w371 and phase correction for sub in GLM I've considered to spend more money and buy 8351b as it's better investment for the future.
Understanding my mentality it will be reasonable. Definitely I will always think that there is something better
if I stay on two-way speakers. Also it's seems coax can be better in some ways after experience of r3. In general, it seemed to
me that it's are technically better, just the tonal balance is not to my taste, or something is wrong with the amplifier.​
EXCELLENT CHOICE - I always wanted to hear what the w371 + 8351b sounds like! In nearfield this will be simply amazing for music although be forwarned the w371 was not designed to go deep like a subwoofer below 35Hz.

OP
N

neg

EXCELLENT CHOICE - I always wanted to hear what the w371 + 8351b sounds like! In nearfield this will be simply amazing for music although be forwarned the w371 was not designed to go deep like a subwoofer below 35Hz.
I've seen that somehow people get 15hz -3dB with 7360 sub and GLM. Kinda interesting, because of it's better than spec)
It seems you can get full bandwidth with w371 in real room. Also to be honest I an not hearing below 25Hz.
I have no idea why people say that a human hears from 18Hz.

Trell

Major Contributor
Also to be honest I an not hearing below 25Hz.
I have no idea why people say that a human hears from 18Hz.
Using a tone generator I can hear from 18 Hz on my Genelec 7360A.

spamilton

Also it seems that genelec in general more pleasant to listen than 8c and kii three. I feel it even with my basic 8030.
I already felt it in comparison even with my 8030, but I thought that this was a consequence of their wretchedness in comparison to 8c.)
Overall, I would describe the 8c as beautiful, but not as pleasant. Yes, the sound is clear and quite correct,
but there is something that creates discomfort.​
I know a lot of people like KEF, but they just aren't for me. I've not had the opportunity to try the 8c or Kii. It's just difficult to beat the Genelecs. So many options, and so much performance for the size.

I've also considered the 8331 due to it being coaxial, but not really sure how much difference it would make for my room. Most people say it's pretty much a sidegrade from the 8030C unless you really need the GLM. I also think I would end up regretting not getting the 8351, though they would take up considerably more space.

I did have some Emotiva Stealth 8s at one point. I have no idea how they measure, but I would rank it as one of my favorite sounding speakers. Plenty of bass, and the AMT tweeter was great. They were just ridiculously big for my office, and I wanted something different.

OP
N

neg

I know a lot of people like KEF, but they just aren't for me.
May I ask you what you dislike in it? For me it's tonal balance. Also kefs sound kinda boring, too slow.

I also think I would end up regretting not getting the 8351, though they would take up considerably more space.
Me too.
I also asked the owner, he says that the 8351 sounds more dynamic and fun regardless of the volume level,
the 8331 is more boring and flat in comparison, it also has a slightly simpler treble feel and the sound is
not as clear. Also 8351 sounds bigger. Of course, this may be the result of a shortage of low frequencies.
Nevertheless, I still firmly decided that I want to overpay.

Also there is opinion that one series better overall.​
So it looks like the best solution is to spend more money on the 8351. They can also be extended with the w371a. This thing greatly improves DI. But of course, such solutions are already for an apartment that is owned.

Another point that convinces me that the transferring to ones is good idea is that many people use them as speakers for a computer.

Here is a bit of my history.

Personally, I'm not an audio pro, I just like to listen to a lot of music. Once I came to listen to the speakers to complement my headphones with something. The hi-end didn't impress me at all, it sounded terrible, despite the well-tuned room. I will never forget bw801 who can't play metal adequately. With such and such dimensions, it is simply ridiculous. Of course my current 8030s can't either, but at least they're fast with pretty good transients.

Then I came to listen to various studio monitors since I don't like anything. Frankly, almost all of them sounded like complete crap. I especially disliked the ribbon tweeters. They are nasty and also change the sound a lot when you turn your head. As a result, I was about to leave as there were only genelec 8010s that I had not yet listened to. Yes, those are the little ones. When they were installed, I thought that the sound is quite good, which is very unusual for such dimensions. After that, I decided that this is a good choice to start with. I stopped at 8030 in terms of sound, I liked it more as more natural.

Also later, my wife and I were at some hi-end audio exhibitions. I was also told what impressive systems there are. Well, frankly, I didn’t like it all very much, I won’t scold specific models, but the point is that my wife told me that she wants to get out from all this “beautiful” sound too))

This is despite the fact that I use "hi-end" headphones such as dan clark expanse, snorry nm-1 and others. It seems that the rule that the more expensive the better does not fit at all when it comes to speakers directly.

spamilton

May I ask you what you dislike in it?
They sound too "small" from a mid to farfield distance, like the entire sound is coming from one tiny spot. I know that's kind of the point of narrow dispersion, but I prefer wide. My HT mains are Revels, for example. In a nearfield setting, the KEFs just didn't have the same fidelity/detail retrieval across the spectrum. Monitors just seem to be better than any hifi product. It makes sense considering that is what they are designed for.
Personally, I'm not an audio pro, I just like to listen to a lot of music. Once I came to listen to the speakers to complement my headphones with something. The hi-end didn't impress me at all, it sounded terrible, despite the well-tuned room. I will never forget bw801 who can't play metal adequately. With such and such dimensions, it is simply ridiculous. Of course my current 8030s can't either, but at least they're fast with pretty good transients.

Also later, my wife and I were at some hi-end audio exhibitions. I was also told what impressive systems there are. Well, frankly, I didn’t like it all very much, I won’t scold specific models, but the point is that my wife told me that she wants to get out from all this “beautiful” sound too))

This is despite the fact that I use "hi-end" headphones such as dan clark expanse, snorry nm-1 and others. It seems that the rule that the more expensive the better does not fit at all when it comes to speakers directly.
Agreed, the hifi world is mostly nonsense. I admit it is seductive, but it's like buying a luxury mechanical watch that keeps worse time than a Casio. You're paying for a different experience, not more accurate sound. I do like headphones as well. I pull out my Aryas occasionally, though the discomfort factor of headphones is a big limiting factor for me.

I think I will keep saving for the 8351B, though I'm curious what Genelec has in the pipeline currently.

Top Bottom