• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 206 46.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 120 27.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 7.3%

• Total voters

Phidel

I am not sure, but I would recommend that you investigate HDCP by reviewing searches. Copyright protection could be causing the issue.

So buying an AVR to be connected to a PC is a no sense, the only way I can get image+sound is connecting the PC to TV and TV to AVR but I lose a lot of features, in my case who is processing the sound? the AVR or the PC?

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You connect the PC to the AVR then the AVR to your TV/monitor. You don't need your AVR to send audio to your PC, or at least I don't see why you would. What features are you missing out on?
As for which is processing the sound, it could be both. Your PC will output a digital audio signal via HDMI to the AVR, then the AVR will process it and apply whatever DSP, room correction etc you like after that.
Your PC soundcard may also process the sound before sending it to the AVR as well, but if you choose to just pass the raw digital signal to your AVR then it will not and then only the AVR would be processing the sound.
So buying an AVR to be connected to a PC is a no sense, the only way I can get image+sound is connecting the PC to TV and TV to AVR but I lose a lot of features, in my case who is processing the sound? the AVR or the PC?

Phidel

You connect the PC to the AVR then the AVR to your TV/monitor. You don't need your AVR to send audio to your PC, or at least I don't see why you would. What features are you missing out on?
As for which is processing the sound, it could be both. Your PC will output a digital audio signal via HDMI to the AVR, then the AVR will process it and apply whatever DSP, room correction etc you like after that.
Your PC soundcard may also process the sound before sending it to the AVR as well, but if you choose to just pass the raw digital signal to your AVR then it will not and then only the AVR would be processing the sound.

As I said, if connect the PC to the AVR and the AVR to the TV I miss HDMI ARC functions, if I turn on the TV, the AVR is not turnning on, I must to turn on the AVR via remote control, for example.

Joffy1780

What you are describing is not ARC, it is HDMI CEC. Which TV do you have?

Joffy1780

If you go to settings > general connections > external device manager > then select Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) to turn it on.
See if that helps if you haven't already got that activated.
Samsung QN95A.

Joffy1780

Joffy1780

I'm out of ideas then, sorry, but surely the only function you're losing is the ability to turn the AVR on with the TV remote?
You would still be getting audio and video from your PC out from the AVR to your TV? If not then it must be a HDCP issue?

Phidel

I'm out of ideas then, sorry, but surely the only function you're losing is the ability to turn the AVR on with the TV remote?
You would still be getting audio and video from your PC out from the AVR to your TV? If not then it must be a HDCP issue?

Yes, I loss this function and I want to use the AVR to duplicate the image with one in but I can't cause this issue.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I only keep my AVRs at most 2-3 years with Covid be an exception. So I agree with you, I’ve no use for gold plated jacks, but isn’t silver or copper more conductive than gold??
I keep my processors only when they’re a major upgrade in surround sound format, I went from
- Integra Research RDC-7

- Classe SSP-800 7.2 channels

- Anthem AVM-60 for 7.2.4

- Anthem AVM-90 for a 9.4.6 configuration

Waiting for Amir to review it and probably my last one!

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

I keep my processors only when they’re a major upgrade in surround sound format, I went from
- Integra Research RDC-7

- Classe SSP-800 7.2 channels

- Anthem AVM-60 for 7.2.4

- Anthem AVM-90 for a 9.4.6 configuration

Waiting for Amir to review it and probably my last one!
I had better luck changing them more frequently. First, Marantz used to have so many bugs with HDCP and Dolby Vision that firmware upgrades didn’t fix anything, so the next release was best choice. Secondly, the value of AVR drops exponentially by time. By selling my old ones sooner, I get to spend less in the long run. Specially when you’ve a close dealer to get 25% off new ones, the upgrade cost is pretty minimal.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I had better luck changing them more frequently. First, Marantz used to have so many bugs with HDCP and Dolby Vision that firmware upgrades didn’t fix anything, so the next release was best choice. Secondly, the value of AVR drops exponentially by time. By selling my old ones sooner, I get to spend less in the long run. Specially when you’ve a close dealer to get 25% off new ones, the upgrade cost is pretty minimal.
Who says I was unlucky changing processors?
I changed because I wanted new sound codex!

01svtL

I have heard TONS of speakers, from all ranges - and in college, especially those in which people here would consider pretty crappy speakers, and I've never heard double-pedal kick drums "running together" - where it's indistinguishable. Generally, if you're having issues hearing the kick drum, it's likely from poor tuning between a small kick drum and large floor toms, and/or bad mixing of the kick drum and bass line.
When you have multiple subs in a room that likely aren’t tuned correctly, with fast double bass, yea, they run together. Can you still HEAR the separation in the speakers? Yes. But the tactile feel of it from the subs is almost blended together.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yep, on sale everywhere. I was hopping for the X4800H to go on sale, but looks like it's not going to happen any time soon. Either way I will be placing my order for the X4800H this weekend and then 60 days will start running for a sale to come up so Best Buy can match the sale price and get a refund :)

RF Air

Forum Donor
I am curious to know how effective cyclical discounting is for inventory reduction. I assume there is a trigger for marketing when inventory is sitting, there must be some metric forecast of sales increase triggered by the discounting. Denon does this frequently with the HEOS Speakers Systems, curious.

rvsixer

:p LOL!

I just did the same thing!

I communicated with @amirm earlier this week, I think we're near the top of the Queue, but I did not ask when specifically. I am guessing like you and everyone else.

....I'm beginning to think discussions over the measurement results are taking place deja vu.

Last edited:

Shardak

It appears the 3800 doesnt offer much improvement over the 3700. 4 subs instead of 2, and the option to buy Dirac. Is there anything else I am missing?

Denon has refurb 3700's for $999. I may get one of those to replace my 10 year old Pioneer VSX-1124.

I just got a Rythmik FV18 sub, and found the Pioneer's sub-eq features do not work. You can set a sub EQ, but when measuring with REW, the EQ doesnt actually change anything. Only the trim adjustment works. Looked for firmware updates, but not seeing any. So I would like to get something with better sub correction, as I am getting a decent spike around 50-60hz with the Rythmik. The Rythmik has a built-in one-band PEQ which helps a bit, but I cant fully smooth the response with it.

Top Bottom