• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Simulation Overview of the 'Double Bass Array' Configuration.

Flaesh

a door opening in the middle of the rear wall and there's no door
I measured mine (link in signature) with closed\opened doors and windows, all affects the result but in generally it measured and heard DBA-ish)).
With opening in the middle you need 4 subs.

Reactions: OCA

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I measured mine (link in signature) with closed\opened doors and windows, all affects the result but in generally it measured and heard DBA-ish)).
With opening in the middle you need 4 subs.
My focal subs are useless as subs, my mains go lower than them but they are quite easy to hang on a wall, actually they're designed for that. I will think about this. Your bass reponse is flat down to like 12Hz, never seen or heard that kind of bass before :)

Flaesh

Your bass reponse is flat down to like 12Hz, never seen or heard that kind of bass before
It sounds good)). Eliminating wide deeps and associated time anomalies improves articulation and so on; pay attention to the subs, they are not for the anechoic space.
Germany seems most DBA\*SS (*source to sink) country, may be you can find another's system to listen to.

Reactions: OCA

mumford

Does the matrix in the front wall need to be the same as the back wall? Let say I have a 4x3 matrix (12 subs) on the front wall, and as the back wall needs maybe 6db or more in attenuation, any ill effect if I use a 3x3 matrix (9 subs) in the back wall?

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
I am not trying to argue that this response shape can be predicted from the radiation of a piston in an infinite baffle into half-space. My question was about the nature of the stimulus used in the simulation itself.

So why should I care about "radiation of a piston in an infinite baffle into half-space" then? Because that's how the on-axis pressure at a point at distance d from the piston is calculated using the Thiele/Small theory. For an ideal sealed or infinite-baffle subwoofer with zero voice-coil inductance, in the T/S theory the passband is the frequency region for which the acceleration amplitude is constant with frequency.

For such a sub, with an applied voltage having a constant amplitude vs. frequency:
  • The displacement amplitude vs. frequency has a low-pass characteristic
  • The velocity amplitude vs. frequency has a bandpass characteristic
  • The acceleration amplitude vs. frequency has a high-pass characteristic (same as the pressure response of the sub itself)
This nature then becomes relevant when such a sub is placed in multiples in a DBA. One might rightly wonder how the subs' response according to the T/S theory is modified by the DBA. I would argue that, to determine such an effect, such a simulation would best be done with a stimulus having a constant acceleration amplitude with frequency.
The slope in my response is there because I applied constant acceleration. That will only hold above the resonance frequency of the sub. For a flat response, velocity is needed, since in this ‘infinitely long tube situation’ created by the DBA setup, the acoustic impedance seen from the subs is resistive.

Flaesh

about flush mounting:
1677677323682.png

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
It should be noted that near the subwoofers, the field is not planar, even when flush mounted.

Attachments

• Animation.gif
    Animation.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
This is obvious (generally). But your pic is good, especially the delicate glamorous colors; not like primitive 2D red-blue
View attachment 268497
from Hresp simulation.

What do you think about subs faced to wall?..
View attachment 268496
I haven’t tried, but the change in acoustic impedance could change the displacement of the driver if the gap is small, and so the simulation requires a little more input. I would think that the field is still not planar but out in the room it doesn’t matter.

Flaesh

the change in acoustic impedance could change the displacement of the driver if the gap is small, and so the simulation requires a little more input

I had rear subs pointed toward the wall in my second DBA with IB front subs
I didn't carefully measure the difference with the usual arrangement, but overall the system worked fine enough. IIRC the gap was about 2"-3".
IIRC member @dasdoing uses subwoofers (not DBA) facing the wall with a slight gap.
Now one buddy is going to try DBA, 2+2 (4+4 perspectively) 12" drivers, up to 100 l boxes:
1677727405934.png

Aesthetically:) invisibility of cheap drivers may be good and psychoacoustically :rolleyes:invisibility of transducers may(??) be bad:facepalm: for him.

ps: It’s a mystery to me: how audiophiles, who hear a huge difference, for example, in wires, hear sound worse if they don’t see cardboard cones

Last edited:

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
DBA or SBA? Cinema room size: 4m x 6m.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Do DBA's only kill room modes, or can they tackle ringing as well? Does anybody have a waterfall graph to share?

withoutsuit

As both is related together, it kills reverberation and therefore the SPL of your room modes.

tmuikku

Hi all, how is envelopment with DBA? Reading Griesinger presentation http://www.davidgriesinger.com/laaes2.pdf it says there needs to be multiple LF sources (<200Hz) for enough ITD fluctuations for envelopment, preferably to side of the listener, single one in front of listener doesn't do it. Is this something relevant here, or is the DBA just better even if there isn't envelopment for lows? or is there?

If this is something to improve on, would it work having the arrays on the side walls outputting L and R sound respectively and also cancelling each other out like in the standard setup between front and back wall?

Last edited:

Flaesh

Reading Griesinger
Have you heard to such system? IIRC one audioholic tried this; his report isn't very encouraging.
About the front bass of D(S)BA has been written repeatedly.
I don't know anything about real world implementations of a stereo *bass array. Do you want to try?))

tmuikku

Nope, never heard such thing, participating on the discussion as its interesting topic. I was reading Griesingers papers on proximity and if there is anything on small room acoustics and stumbled on the envelopment, which is something i'd like to improve on my setup as well. Surprisingly low frequencies seem to be involved and DBA topic came to my mind.

Even multisub setups are rare as hens teeth here. I plan for multisub setup in the future, but cannot do whole wall covering arrays as its family living room :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom