• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JPS Superconductor V USB Cable Review

Rate this USB Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 283 96.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Does this cable make a difference compared to a generic one with a DAC that has a crappy USB input (I believe an old Schiit qualifies) ?
It might with the Schiit Modi 2 I use for such test. Alas, I am on a time crunch to return these cables tomorrow so did not go in that direction.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can we get a TMDS eye diagram to test cables for digital signals (USB, Coax S/PDIF, AES)?
You could. Just need $100,000 in digital scope and specialized probes! USB signals are quite fast. My 500 MHz scope can barely resolve it but results are just not presentable. S/PDIF is a walk in the park in comparison.

There is a company that makes a specialized test instrument to show the eye patter on USB and HDMI. I think it costs $14K. I don't think it is worth getting it but it is an option.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
USB Voltage drop test?
As I noted, there is not time. No mid to high-end DAC uses USB as a power source anyway so I don't think it matters what it does.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements here show that there is difference even in that department when with a "noisy" source like my desktop workstation PC.

Is this missing the word no in front of difference?

Measurements here show that there is no difference even in that department when with a "noisy" source like my desktop workstation PC.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As I noted, there is not time. No mid to high-end DAC uses USB as a power source anyway so I don't think it matters what it does.
Well the RME BabyFace uses USB for power. Even needs to supply 48 volt phantom power to microphones when recording with it. Not that I expect problems.

delta76

Major Contributor
Thanks to the member that sent this in and for your testing... but gosh, $1000 for a USB cable is nothing but highway robbery! I wonder how the owners of JPS sleep at night, really. :facepalm:

JSmith
soundly on a luxury bed of a big mansion, I would assume.
or in a 5 stars hotel after big parties.

delta76

Major Contributor
I am wondering if the usage of the name "Superconductor" implies a product property which is not fulfilled?
it's ultraconductor. they can claim it's a product name, and it's not misleading advertainment.
they are con artists so I would think they are pretty good at avoiding lawsuits

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's why a specific current pulled over the supply pair would be more useful with a fixed 5V supply. The supply ground is often a different gauge in any case to the +, so the loop should be tested.

In practice, it just doesn't matter. I use some 3-5M USB 2.0 (A-B) for audio and test devices and have never had an issue with either current draw or low voltage issues. Come to think of it, I don't ever remember windows shutting down a USB port for overcurrent, ever. Even back in the P4 laptop days running XP. :)

I have come across a few cheap micro-USB cables that did not want to charge a specific phone and FiiO DAP but worked fine on some other devices.
I just binned that one (have loads of that crap).
There are also micro-USB charge cables that do not have a data-pair, binned those too. It is annoying when grabbing a micro-USB cable that won't connect but can only power. Impossible to see from the outside what they are for (charging only or data)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it's ultraconductor
From what I can see they have both "Superconductor" and "Ultraconductor" models. But their website https://jpslabs.com/ has several https problems on all browsers I tested it with so this only one of their issues.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have come across a few cheap micro-USB cables that did not want to charge a specific phone and FiiO DAP but worked fine on some other devices.
I just binned that one (have loads of that crap).
There are also micro-USB charge cables that do not have a data-pair, binned those too. It is annoying when grabbing a micro-USB cable that won't connect but can only power. Impossible to see from the outside what they are for (charging only or data)
Yes, I hate those charge only cables. I did have a couple devices over the years warning not to use a data cable only the neutered charging cables. I put red tape around the ends so I'd know what they were. I'm not sure why it would have caused a problem.

notsodeadlizard

Well, the test results are obvious, but.
Anyone who bought this cable for 1K will definitely hear an improvement in sound.
Because expectations, in addition to costs, are not only the basis of many psychological effects, but in general are an independent pleasure.
Well, there is also a category of very wealthy people who do not form their own audio system.
They turn to audio salons, for example.
And what do you propose, to put a Chinese dollar cable into the system for these people :) ?

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like the USB-C cables because the plug in either way. It seems when I try to plug in a USB-A connector, I have it the wrong way 90% of the time. It should be 50-50.

RF Air

Forum Donor
It would be pointless to own this cable set without purchasing the Super Aluminata AC Cable to power the connected components, currently on sale for $12,500. Regular price is $14,999. The savings here alone will pay for these cables. 33 years of business, this company has experience...

Thanks Amir for "Aluminating" us with the results. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the USB-C cables because the plug in either way. It seems when I try to plug in a USB-A connector, I have it the wrong way 90% of the time. It should be 50-50.
We need to do a blinded test to see if the wrong way is 90% or 50%. :p

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We are still doing these? Feels like a waste of time since everyone knows the result.

MyCuriosity

I switched back to the JDS USB cable and difference vanished, leaving me with less perceived fidelity. Of course, this not a valid test as the switching time is way too long to allow proper comparison for small differences. But if folks want to run by "what I heard," I heard the generic USB cable sounding "better."
if you can hear it, you can measure it... What measurements you can do to prove your subjective findings? I am not saying is not true. Just a discussion how we can demonstrate, with measurable fact, what your observations have been.

JSmith

Master Contributor
What measurements you can do to prove your subjective findings?
The "listening test" (in particular when it comes to cables that show no or miniscule measured difference) is just to appease the people that ask... "did you listen to it", nothing more really.

It surely is an interesting progression to this new question though. ;)

JSmith

Top Bottom