• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mid-fi IEM Recommendations

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Did you use the stock tips on those sets?
Only with the ER2XR - I liked both the triple flange and the foam tips on that one. I did try and I think the spinfit tips on the Moondrop where pretty good but I couldn't get a permanent seal (i.e. worked for 5 minutes then pop out a bit), hence why I ended up with a deeper insertion triple flange with the Chu.

markanini

Major Contributor
Only with the ER2XR - I liked both the triple flange and the foam tips on that one. I did try and I think the spinfit tips on the Moondrop where pretty good but I couldn't get a permanent seal (i.e. worked for 5 minutes then pop out a bit), hence why I ended up with a deeper insertion triple flange with the Chu.
Fit has been an issue for me too, but I find changing stock tips and insertion depths changes the sound too much. It probably negates the benefits $100+ IEMs could bring, just send them back or gift them to a friend IMO.

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Fit has been an issue for me too, but I find changing stock tips and insertion depths changes the sound too much. It probably negates the benefits $100+ IEMs could bring, just send them back or gift them to a friend IMO.
I did find this old article on stereophile which I thought was interesting with some measurement of the effects of different tips.

From what I gather how well say a triple flange works depends on the shape of your inner ear, i.e. whether the end of the tips get squashed by the shape of the inner ear. I don't think that is happening for me, but I can definitely imagine this happening for lots of people.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
I did find this old article on stereophile which I thought was interesting with some measurement of the effects of different tips.

From what I gather how well say a triple flange works depends on the shape of your inner ear, i.e. whether the end of the tips get squashed by the shape of the inner ear. I don't think that is happening for me, but I can definitely imagine this happening for lots of people.
You recommending the Chu is an indication that you are hearing a difference, because most find it an excessively bright set with the stock tips.

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
You recommending the Chu is an indication that you are hearing a difference, because most find it an excessively bright set with the stock tips.
Yes, I believe so. I have found this whole exercise very interesting, though I haven't actually made a decision yet. I am still reading up on IEM measurements and how accurate they can be at different frequencies, I am now looking at various bits of Research from Sean Olive and others, while also seeing can I "translate" some of the subjective audiophile "speak" of various YouTubers into something that can be used slightly objectively. I.e. XX likes bass boosted or YY doesn't complain about sibilance.

So its basically I am probably coming up with my own preference curve, based on the IEM's I have and their FR graphics and what I liked and didn't like with each (using the EQ that I have applied to normalise them currently) and then compensating for my ears (which because of the shape require deeper insertion) and compensating for my age to try and find an IEM that for me would not require any EQ. That is the dream :D

Michou

Hi,
So I am looking at a little upgrade. Thanks to this forum I bought the Truthear Zero, the Moondrop Chu and the Salnotes Zero and (and a few others IEM's including Etymotics ), so in general I love the Harman / Neutral sounding (maybe with a little bass boost) - but the build quality was a little lacking so I am curious about what maybe a $200 IEM with a good adherence to the curve but with better build quality might be. I am also curious as to what Crinical calls the "Technicalities" or Technical grade. As these cheaper models while they obviously sound great always get a low technical grade in reviews.

I imagine ones that were reviewed here e.g. Moondrop Blessing 2 have probably been eclipsed as it seems like we are in a golden age for quality IEM's for reasonable prices so possible go for a newer model.

So any recommendations? I am planning on doing a little comparison when I pick one
Final Audio E4000.

Top Bottom