• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

ajgs

Hello group, I have a question about security, thinking about the Hypex Nilai500DIY 250W Stereo kit.
when they finish assembling the kit, how it should be used, when they connect it to the electrical network and the speakers as well as the Dac, while the unit is running, let's say you can touch the unit without any risk of electric shock, or rather not to do to avoid dangers when using it, I read the manual but I had doubts, so I wanted to know how the owners present here use their units and also receive advice from everyone.
You should be cautious touching the capacitors. Even when the power supply is off, there is still enough energy inside to be deadly. Let the capacitors unload themself and take a safe margin of 30 minutes, before going to assemble further.

every electronical device in the EU must pass safety results according to the CE. No risk for a shock while using a build one with the lid closed.

Last edited:

capslock

It is not one on one compatible. You could make it work but we highly recommend to use the new PS500 DIY as well for optimal performance.
I have to say the PS500DIY seems to be a superior power supply compared to the SMPS600N400 and SMPS1200A400.

- regulated vs unregulated (output 69 - 71 V vs. 51 - 74 V) - I once measured 100 Hz ripple on an SMPS1200 that was only a factor of 2 better than the hefty TR400 + filters from UcD days
- lower idle power (5.5 vs 8 W)
- lower standby power (0.2 vs. 0.4 W)
- aux supplies are regulated!
- dedicated +/- 23.5 V supplies for the op-amps - suppose there is an on-board regulator in the Nilai
- 92% efficiency for both (it would actually be nice to see this at 10, 50, 80% load same as PC PSUs)

Normally, a regulated SMPS should have a higher power consumption if the same tech is used. So it is a particular feat of engineering (and of course, 10 years have passed) that all this was achieved while reducing idle power and apparently not reducing efficiency.

capslock

Since the Nilai modules are not yet listed and the data sheet does not say: do the modules come with the cables resp. will there be a cable set for separate purchase?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've given up on these and am buying something else.

roog

Forum Donor
We have to accept that in this situation there is great demand and shortages, never a great combination. I am torn between Nilai and purifi, I am happy that both appear to be exceptional mature designs and ideally geared for DIY domestic use.

Whilst I am looking forward to a nice simple assembly / casing project, part of me still thinks that a NAD C298 might be the right thing to buy.

goryu

The nilai500, just guessing but it seems reasonable, probably uses the same general type of parts that the Purifi modules use. I haven't seen or heard of any shortage of those....Curious....

Mr_tuner

Hey, interested to build 2-way nilai amps. But what would be the best DSP module for to use crossover?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Hey, interested to build 2-way nilai amps. But what would be the best DSP module for to use crossover?
MiniDSP is probably the easiest to get/ most readily available.
Marani and QSC have very high quality processing gear. I think Four Audio also has a very high end processing unit.
If you want to DIY, I’ve seen discussion about an Analog Devices board you can buy from Mouser which is supposed to be very good, but perhaps not balanced(?).

Mr_tuner

MiniDSP is probably the easiest to get/ most readily available.
Marani and QSC have very high quality processing gear. I think Four Audio also has a very high end processing unit.
If you want to DIY, I’ve seen discussion about an Analog Devices board you can buy from Mouser which is supposed to be very good, but perhaps not balanced(?).
This module looka interesring to fit https://alldsp-oem.com/product-category/dsp-modules/1800b/

Now with an installed custom face plate:
20230625_154645_HDR~2.jpg

C. Cook

Pretty cool. I could see that having a use case in a modular system designed to blend into cabinetry too.

AndreaT

Two months after the arrival of my Nilai 500 I am happy to report on its impeccable functioning. A warning: it is impossible to listen casually while performing other tasks around the room. It captures my attention and forces me to listen, more so than it happened with the NC400 monoblocks.

KaMatthi

Hello everyone,

I have read this thread with great interest. I am currently interested in building a multi-channel power amplifier from the Nilai modules for my 5.2.4 system. My question is whether I can currently install 5 amplifier modules in one enclosure. For this I still need a purchase recommendation for the power supply. Which power supply module(s) would you recommend?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Hello everyone,

I have read this thread with great interest. I am currently interested in building a multi-channel power amplifier from the Nilai modules for my 5.2.4 system. My question is whether I can currently install 5 amplifier modules in one enclosure. For this I still need a purchase recommendation for the power supply. Which power supply module(s) would you recommend?
Similar to the old NC400 modules, you will need to account for power supply also. When I inquired, Hypex said they could be installed vertically, thus yes, you could conievably put 5 channels in a single chassis.
The concern is then… how do you accomplish this?
You need to account for space adequate to fit them, room to allow them all to breathe, and ventilation and conduction to keep all that cool.
The ‘easiest’ path I saw was using a chassis from diy audio store which, upon deeper inspection, requires a lot of customization to make work. The grid for bolting these units down is not a 10x10mm pattern.
Customization gets expensive.
In short, yes it is likely possible…
But is it wise or worthwhile?
*shrugs

That is a much more difficult question to answer.

FWIW, I chose a 2-chassis aporoach for my 5 monoblock channels of NC400 + SMPS, along with a fan for each Chassis to help better maintain more comfortable operating trmps for longer life.
Mains in one chassis. Center and surrounds in the other.

KaMatthi

Similar to the old NC400 modules, you will need to account for power supply also. When I inquired, Hypex said they could be installed vertically, thus yes, you could conievably put 5 channels in a single chassis.
The concern is then… how do you accomplish this?
You need to account for space adequate to fit them, room to allow them all to breathe, and ventilation and conduction to keep all that cool.
The ‘easiest’ path I saw was using a chassis from diy audio store which, upon deeper inspection, requires a lot of customization to make work. The grid for bolting these units down is not a 10x10mm pattern.
Customization gets expensive.
In short, yes it is likely possible…
But is it wise or worthwhile?
*shrugs

That is a much more difficult question to answer.

FWIW, I chose a 2-chassis aporoach for my 5 monoblock channels of NC400 + SMPS, along with a fan for each Chassis to help better maintain more comfortable operating trmps for longer life.
Mains in one chassis. Center and surrounds in the other.
Thanks, what would you recommend? To buy the stereo dyi kit 3 times? I would like to improve/upgrade my home theatre currently running with IOTAVX 7-230 amps.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Thanks, what would you recommend? To buy the stereo dyi kit 3 times? I would like to improve/upgrade my home theatre currently running with IOTAVX 7-230 amps.
I've considered this on a few occasions.
Not gonna lie.
I'd reach out to Buckeye and buy a 3- and 2-channel version of the NCX500s. Assuming you are in the US. Otherwise, consider the equivalent from Nord or Apollon or whomever offers the best option closest to you. :)

Yes, in theory, the Nilai are better...

But like the difference between Purifi and Hypex, we are now well into the inaudible qualities.

That's my 2¢.

Especially considering the cost of building out my NC400 DIY Amps with Ghent Chassis...

A benefit of this approach is, when I listen to Stereo mixes which is a majority of the time, only those two Amps are running. Not all 5 channels. ;)

Top Bottom