• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class A “class D killer” amplifier with THD less than -120dB

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
H-ENG (Homeless Engineer)
100W/4R, Class B, single supply, CFA retro amp
A job well done! I like it!

BTW: Do you use 'sPlan' as a CAD program for the schematic drawing? (I used to use it a lot and still have it somewhere on my hard drive).

Sokel

Master Contributor
Class D love quoting efficiency numbers at full power. Who cares about efficiency at full power?

Seriously, if you are cranking it near full power, nobody gives a chit about being green and saving the planet, do they? They are partying hard.

I'm more interested in efficiency at low powers. The levels most people listen to music, most of the time. And a class AB amp hardly pulls much at all in that situation. I have small-medium power integrated amplifiers running barely over 10W idling along. Some might pull 20W.

Class D SMPS supplies pull more than that on their own. Class D 'efficiency' is a mirage.
That's true,I had a look at my big one and the graph is not so encouraging.
About 40-50(?)% at low levels,even less at really low:

PE.PNG

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@LKA, do you have some personal affiliation with LeXan or H-ENG? If so you should disclose it.

It's great to see high performance class A/B or, (for that matter), class B amps. There are some of course, e.g.
  1. Benchmark AHB2
  2. Neurochrome Modulus-x86
  3. Topping LA90
But viewing such amps in terms of avoiding class D, they are a solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist.

Efficiency in case of home amplifiers, as @restorer-john points out, is no big deal per se, but these amp almost invariable require heat sinks and heavier power supplies, (if linear), that add to the cost and weight of final product.

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
I would like to present my "Class-D killers" here. They have low power consumption and low distortion, hence the naming.
Hi Laco, good to see you here. Would you add some further info -
1) Have you measured output noise voltage (BW 22kHz)
2) What is the measuring bandwidth in your THD vs. frequency plots.

Thank you.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
That's true,I had a look at my big one and the graph is not so encouraging.
About 40-50(?)% at low levels,even less at really low:

View attachment 268981
Yes, the plot has linear X scale, for the obvious marketing reason - not to enable the reader to read efficiency at low, usual listening power, accurate. Usual markerting tricks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I still think an amp module like Hypex NCore NC502MP, with 2 x 500W into 4 ohms to drive anything, very high SINAD above 100, costing 750 usd in a small and light chassis, barely warm around 15W idle (IIRC), is simply an unbeatable value.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I still think an amp module like Hypex NCore NC502MP, with 2 x 500W into 4 ohms to drive anything, very high SINAD above 100, costing 750 usd in a small and light chassis, barely warm around 15W idle (IIRC), is simply an unbeatable value.

Absolutely true. An insane amount of clean power in a small package at a relatively cheap price. Nobody can argue with that.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yes, the plot has linear X scale, for the obvious marketing reason - not to enable the reader to read efficiency at low, usual listening power, accurate. Usual markerting tricks.
I consider us lucky even by publishing it.Similar with the others (linear scale).

Ncore NC500 OEM:

Ncore nc500 OEM.PNG

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
What is with wanting to kill class D amps?

Class D amps are powerful, efficient, inexpensive and provide excellent performance making them THE VALUE proposition among amplifiers. Yet everyone wants an alternative. Makes no sense.
Class D amplifiers have low distortion only to some 4kHz, because the distortion measurements with 22kHz BW are totally pointless and show nothing about distortion at higher frequencies. Their idle power consumption is often higher than that of class B and even class AB amplifiers. Their HF garbage at the output is horrible and not investigated yet if it is without any influence on speakers and audibility. They are just massively promoted and that is why they are so popular within unqualified audience. They will probably push out linear amplifiers, but just for the reason of their massive marketing and “political” support. Equivalent to electric cars not mentioning the planet waste pollution with hundreds of milions of waste batteries that cannot be disassembled with use of automation. Who cares, deserts and ocean will digest it, until this planet will be unusable for human kind.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

LKA

Hi Laco, good to see you here. Would you add some further info -
1) Have you measured output noise voltage (BW 22kHz)
2) What is the measuring bandwidth in your THD vs. frequency plots.

Thank you.
Hi PMA,

1/ not yet (for the presented amps)
2/ bw 48k

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The efficiency plot is only one piece, like so many other specs. The efficiency of any amp goes to 0 (or below) at low to no power. It would be nice to compare the actual power consumption of comparable amplifiers, e.g. a 100 W class AB+G/H to a 100 W class D amplifier, from idle to full power. Preferably with a log x axis to highlight say the 10 mW to 10 W region where most amps probably operate most of the time. IIRC my Kill-a-Watt says my four-channel Buckeye NC252MP burns a few watts at idle where as my two-channel Emotiva class AB burns ~30 W or more, but I do not have a class G or H amp to compare (somebody want to loan me their AHB2? :) )

I am not sure why the rash of "class D killer" threads. My microsecond look says the "killers" are better at HF distortion in some cases, worse at lower frequencies, and are generally less efficient but I have not seen an actual power in vs. power out plot. I am with @pma, @restorer-john, et. al. that I would like more data, including actual noise levels in uV or whatever.

Other than anecdotal "I hate class D, because it's bad" posts I am not sure I have read an actual blind listening test showing comparable amps with inaudible'ish distortion are audibly different. My own tests were far too limited to be of value and were not blind. I was not expecting a difference and got what I was expecting, surprise, but expectation bias works both ways. I have no desire to "kill" any class; they all have their pros and cons, no need to kill one to highlight another ("You don't need to put out another's candle to make your own shine brighter" -- William Adam).

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
H-ENG (Homeless Engineer)
100W/4R, Class B, single supply, CFA retro amp
This amplifier has output coupling capacitor 5600uF inside the negative feedback. Is there any influence of this capacitor to maximum LF power, in other words, is the maximum distortion limited power at 20Hz, 50Hz same as at 1kHz, or is it lower?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This amplifier has output coupling capacitor 5600uF inside the negative feedback. Is there any influence of this capacitor to maximum LF power, in other words, is the maximum distortion limited power at 20Hz, 50Hz same as at 1kHz, or is it lower?
Seems to be quite fine upto at least 50W:

index.php

Quite remarkable actually.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Seems to be quite fine upto at least 50W:

Quite remarkable actually.
I see, but my question is different. Another try - if the rated power is 100W/4ohm, what is the harmonic distortion at 1kHz and at 20Hz?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see, but my question is different. Another try - if the rated power is 100W/4ohm, what is the harmonic distortion at 1kHz and at 20Hz?
My guess: between 0.01 and 0.02% @20 Hz, 0.001% @ 1 kHz. Just by extrapolation what is already there.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Their HF garbage at the output is horrible and not investigated yet if it is without any influence on speakers and audibility.

Are you asserting that the makers of Class D amps or modules have done no studies on the effects of the HF components on speakers, audibility, etc.?

Would you please provide some links to results of studies that prove the negative audible effects or harmful effects on speakers? Thanks.

Piere

Class D love quoting efficiency numbers at full power. Who cares about efficiency at full power?

Seriously, if you are cranking it near full power, nobody gives a chit about being green and saving the planet, do they? They are partying hard.

I'm more interested in efficiency at low powers. The levels most people listen to music, most of the time. And a class AB amp hardly pulls much at all in that situation. I have small-medium power integrated amplifiers running barely over 10W idling along. Some might pull 20W.

Class D SMPS supplies pull more than that on their own. Class D 'efficiency' is a mirage.

Exactly! If you manage to put a class A/B into a well done composite configuration, it outperforms class-D in almost all aspects up to say 250 Watts output power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom