• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class A “class D killer” amplifier with THD less than -120dB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The schematic I see in post #103 is full complementary. PNP and NPN output devices.
Oops, I missed the schematic! Derp.
Sorry.

Does it ”you a toe-tapping experience that other solid state amplifiers do not”?

Toe tapping would be quantifiable, no?
Rate and pressure, at the least. I would think that a rhythmic parameter, somewhat analogous to jitter, could be measured as well. Not sure if the figure of merit would measure syncopation or arrhythmia. though.

:cool:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking for myself and a few others here, us horn guys don't need more than about 5W on peaks. But we need an amp that is very clean at low power. My horns draw 20mW average at my loudest listening level.
How many amps does that actually translate into a "problem" with? I guess a 5W room heater would be okay, tho :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How many amps does that actually translate into a "problem" with? I guess a 5W room heater would be okay, tho :)
Class AB often has residual crossover distortion, seen at higher frequencies and very low power outputs. There's a good reason Benchmark installed a feed-forward auxiliary amp stage.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With a horn? Yes. You're certainly using a normal amp in a way the manufacturer never intended.
Just how sensitive are those horns? So what did you use that was audible and what do you use now?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just how sensitive are those horns? So what did you use that was audible and what do you use now?
The TAD driver is 111dB/W:

Or about 20 - 25dB more sensitive than your normal cone driver. I tried a few other amps 11 years ago when I started playing, but the "right" way, pretty much standard for recording studio design, was to use class A. These days I could use the Benchmark AB, or class D.

LKA

I would like to present my "Class-D killers" here. They have low power consumption and low distortion, hence the naming.

Last edited:

LKA

H-ENG (Homeless Engineer)
100W/4R, Class B, single supply, CFA retro amp

Attachments

• h-eng-75v-p1.jpg
    h-eng-75v-p1.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 218
  • H-ENG-75V-sch.JPG
    H-ENG-75V-sch.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 222
  • H-ENG-75-V-THDv-F-1-W-10-W-50-W-4-R-LEFT-Vbb-1060m-V.png
    H-ENG-75-V-THDv-F-1-W-10-W-50-W-4-R-LEFT-Vbb-1060m-V.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 612
  • heng-krab4.jpg
    heng-krab4.jpg
    758.8 KB · Views: 213

LKA

LeXaN
170W/4R, Class B, current driven, CFA amp

Attachments

• LeXaN v2.1.JPG
    LeXaN v2.1.JPG
    428.1 KB · Views: 170
  • LeXaNv1 THDvF 0.1W,1W,10W,50W into 4R.png
    LeXaNv1 THDvF 0.1W,1W,10W,50W into 4R.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 167
  • LeXaNv2-fin3.jpg
    LeXaNv2-fin3.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 164

LKA

LeXaN Buffer
170W/4R, Class B+G, current driven, power buffer

Attachments

• LeXaN Buffer v2.0.5.JPG
    LeXaN Buffer v2.0.5.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Le-Xa-N-Buffer-v2-THDv-F-1-10-25-50-W-4-R.png
    Le-Xa-N-Buffer-v2-THDv-F-1-10-25-50-W-4-R.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 146
  • LeXaN-bufv2-fin2.jpg
    LeXaN-bufv2-fin2.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 133
  • LeXaN-bufv2-fin41.jpg
    LeXaN-bufv2-fin41.jpg
    963.5 KB · Views: 132
  • LeXaN Buffer on the bench.jpg
    LeXaN Buffer on the bench.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 134

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is with wanting to kill class D amps?

Class D amps are powerful, efficient, inexpensive and provide excellent performance making them THE VALUE proposition among amplifiers. Yet everyone wants an alternative. Makes no sense.

LKA

I hate them ;) I am ancient
IMHO, Class B+G is better than Class-D in terms of efficiency, distortion, etc

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate them ;)
IMHO, Class B+G is better than Class-D in terms of efficiency, distortion, etc
Can you back that up? Distortion-wise, we can already see what's going on. Efficiency-wise though would be nice to have a comparison.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Just do what you do, make 'em reliable and abuse-tough (as my fifty year old US made prosumer power amps are and still with half-decent performance today, albeit with deliberate limitimg into 4 ohms and below) and dress 'em nice, hopefully at not too silly a price and I'm sure you'll have a market for them.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Efficiency-wise though would be nice to have a comparison.

Class D love quoting efficiency numbers at full power. Who cares about efficiency at full power?

Seriously, if you are cranking it near full power, nobody gives a chit about being green and saving the planet, do they? They are partying hard.

I'm more interested in efficiency at low powers. The levels most people listen to music, most of the time. And a class AB amp hardly pulls much at all in that situation. I have small-medium power integrated amplifiers running barely over 10W idling along. Some might pull 20W.

Class D SMPS supplies pull more than that on their own. Class D 'efficiency' is a mirage.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Class D love quoting efficiency numbers at full power. Who cares about efficiency at full power?

Seriously, if you are cranking it near full power, nobody gives a chit about being green and saving the planet, do they? They are partying hard.

I'm more interested in efficiency at low powers. The levels most people listen to music, most of the time. And a class AB amp hardly pulls much at all in that situation. I have small-medium power integrated amplifiers running barely over 10W idling along. Some might pull 20W.

Class D SMPS supplies pull more than that on their own. Class D 'efficiency' is a mirage.
While that is true for class AB and I agree, class A amps are another matter. :)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

I measured only two integrated amps but they pulled 50W idle each. Also I think usage patterns may have changed. My amps run all day long. I don't turn on the amp in the evening and listen for 2-3hrs. I have them hooked up to the PC and I need audio to just work. Two amps because of Sat/Sub. So with the AB amps before, I wasted 100W most hours of the day just for the opportunity to have sound.

My class D amp is specced at 7W idle power consumption, but it also has auto/on off. For the sats I use AHB2 which only consumes 12W idle. Whish that one had auto-on as well...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
While that is true for class AB and I agree, class A amps are another matter. :)

Yes, totally. Scary low efficiency. Even that big Marantz I pictured above is the equivalent of a couple of outdoor medium floodlights in Class A. Or an entire house of LED lights...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom