• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-8v2 vs LP-8v2

roci_big_ear

I managed to resist buying new speakers for 3-4 months now, so it is time... The Kalis are positively reviewed and I'd like to experience them.

From Erin's Audio Corner, it seems the cheaper cousin (LP) performs as well as the more expensive one (IN) that is double the price. What am I missing? Thoughts?

CEA2034%20--%20Kali%20LP-8v2.png

CEA2034%20%20--%20%20Kali%20IN-8%202nd%20Wave.png

LP-8v2 has more bass, flatter upper range, but suffers from a dip at 800 Hz. Harmonic distortion is similar. So to me, at least it seems the LP-8v2 is a better buy due to being half the price and about the same performance.

Also, I am currently using JBL 306p (turned upside down to avoid the vertical dip), so maybe not much of an upgrade. Perhaps the main advantages are no hiss, no smiley face response, and no need to place them upside down.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The IN-8 has less strong resonances in the mid band, less multitone distortion and smoother vertical directivity, the CE2034 is good for a first check but doesn't tell everything.

Below also some comments from Kali Audio themselves:

Last edited:

khanhncm

I have a pair of Kali IN-8v1 here

Because you only post graph. I assume you haven't demo them yet
If so
If time is not matter, situation allow . I think it's really worth it for you to demo them yourself, you will understand what the meaning of objective graph, objective measurement, objective number
Those objective number is meaningless, if you don't have your own subjective experience . That's the lesson I learned after my hunt for speakers
I hope this approach will clear all your question better
Beside, you did have LP 306p , and spend so much time with it. I think you know what you are doing, absolutely better than me at that time

My suggestion is, you should try to place them horizontally. Really superior, I've demo 8361A Genelec. I can say that I can't see much different with optimal placement , distance,...
Distance between 2 tweeter is 180cm, distance from me to the center of the pairs is about 1.3, 1.4m. At this distance, the ultra nearfield advantage of 8361A is fade away
Hiss, yes, V1 have hiss, 8361A have hiss too but not that loud as V1 . 0.5m 1m, I still here Kali V1's hiss, but at current distance, I don't hear it at all, maybe not loud enough to be an issue. However, I use them for listening to music all day, so really no issue for me personally
8361A thank to 10 inch woofer, reach lower bass, feel like a "water current" of sound past through me , I feel like my body in a river . Sit really close, the imagine still intact , as a whole, not break
I don't have a chance to demo LP-8v2, but have do demo LP6-v1. I can say I forget all the sound I hear from it already (edit: I mean it's nothing special when compare to IN-8). LP6-v1 The sound image sound wider in horizontal direction, but lack of height
Coaxial design of IN8 , in my opinion, really worth the money
I'm just an enthusiast in music, so you shouldn't take my word as something special

Impress by coaxial design, and know so well that Kali IN8 come really near to Genelec 8361A in reality . Only run sine wave , scan from 1hz to 20khz, it reveal the fault of Kali IN8. But when Kali IN8 and 8361A both on track, I can't feel any different except the low bass from 8361A. That's why I settle down with Kali IN8

Hope my experience in demo help you somehow

Edit: Realize your question is from 2 months ago. How's thing going? Care to share with us? Did you bought one of them, or other pair? I'd love to hear your experience

Last edited:

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
I have the LP6v2 and IN8v2. Maybe it's the lower IMD or multitone distortion from being a 3 way, but I seem to be able to hear notes and attacks more clearly on the IN8. When multiple instruments are playing in unison, I can pick out the different instruments more easily on the IN8.

Sam Ash

Thanks Khanhnc, that is a very interesting and useful analysis. Any further thoughts
I have a pair of Kali IN-8v1 here

Because you only post graph. I assume you haven't demo them yet
If so
If time is not matter, situation allow . I think it's really worth it for you to demo them yourself, you will understand what the meaning of objective graph, objective measurement, objective number
Those objective number is meaningless, if you don't have your own subjective experience . That's the lesson I learned after my hunt for speakers
I hope this approach will clear all your question better
Beside, you did have LP 306p , and spend so much time with it. I think you know what you are doing, absolutely better than me at that time

My suggestion is, you should try to place them horizontally. Really superior, I've demo 8361A Genelec. I can say that I can't see much different with optimal placement , distance,...
Distance between 2 tweeter is 180cm, distance from me to the center of the pairs is about 1.3, 1.4m. At this distance, the ultra nearfield advantage of 8361A is fade away
Hiss, yes, V1 have hiss, 8361A have hiss too but not that loud as V1 . 0.5m 1m, I still here Kali V1's hiss, but at current distance, I don't hear it at all, maybe not loud enough to be an issue. However, I use them for listening to music all day, so really no issue for me personally
8361A thank to 10 inch woofer, reach lower bass, feel like a "water current" of sound past through me , I feel like my body in a river . Sit really close, the imagine still intact , as a whole, not break
I don't have a chance to demo LP-8v2, but have do demo LP6-v1. I can say I forget all the sound I hear from it already (edit: I mean it's nothing special when compare to IN-8). LP6-v1 The sound image sound wider in horizontal direction, but lack of height
Coaxial design of IN8 , in my opinion, really worth the money
I'm just an enthusiast in music, so you shouldn't take my word as something special

Impress by coaxial design, and know so well that Kali IN8 come really near to Genelec 8361A in reality . Only run sine wave , scan from 1hz to 20khz, it reveal the fault of Kali IN8. But when Kali IN8 and 8361A both on track, I can't feel any different except the low bass from 8361A. That's why I settle down with Kali IN8

Hope my experience in demo help you somehow

Edit: Realize your question is from 2 months ago. How's thing going? Care to share with us? Did you bought one of them, or other pair? I'd love to hear your experience
Thanks Khanhnc, that is a very interesting and useful analysis. Any further thoughts or experiences since you last posted?

What is your opinion when listening to the IN-8 from 4m or 6m away simulating a living room environment.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
In general as you move further from a speaker the sound won't change much in tone. Highs will be slightly more decreased. Obviously, the volume will also not be as loud You will likely hear more reflections vs direct sound depending on room layout. So that will change the soundstage and envelopment you hear. This will happen no matter what speakers you use

There is a myth with monitors because they get labeled near field that they sound worse in the mid or far field. The physics of sound dispersion doesn't change whether a nearfield or midfield, etc. If someone needs louder volume they need bigger speakers or more directional speakers like a horn. If they need more bass they need bigger speakers or a subwoofer. If your listening volume is more moderate and you are not trying to reach reference levels or play very loud than a speaker like the IN-8 will be more than adequate.

Working in this field I often hear people say they want to reach reference levels. However, most with some exceptions never play their system that loud except maybe in "show off mode". My family room is ~ 7.5m x 7.5m and I have had Genelec G4 (AKA 8040) and was fine without a sub for my listening and TV watching. Probably, about Kali IN-8 capable, maybe even a little less capable. I turn it up moderately loud but never ear bleeding loud. I currently have a 2.1 system there but that room is my testing room for speakers and sound bars. I haven't heard any Kali speakers but hope to have some soon to check out

khanhncm

Thanks Khanhnc, that is a very interesting and useful analysis. Any further thoughts

Thanks Khanhnc, that is a very interesting and useful analysis. Any further thoughts or experiences since you last posted?

What is your opinion when listening to the IN-8 from 4m or 6m away simulating a living room environment.

I think I shouldn't be the one to answer your question
My use case is use it as PC , desktop speaker . I think it's the same as those pro audio guys . Not living room setup . Maybe some one else could help you with that
About the distance. Because I know about reflection at high frequency as @Ellebob said. So, I've never actually try . By the way, my room is 4.8m in depth . At demo place, I always try to hear nearfield, to make sure I hear the sound from speaker, limit the room effect as small as possible . I can't tell

About my experience
I can't hear Kali IN8v1 as loud as Genelec 8361A without fatigue. I feel something off at high frequency after a while at the same sound level (I use the same sound interface Focusrite Scarlett 3rd Solo) . IN8 reach 1 o'clock , like I listen daily and currently . 8361A reach 2 o'clock , if my memory serve right about 8361A
The sound feel like rattle, sharp , hard, harsh , cutting. I hear that very clearly on female vocal, not smooth anymore , Excuse me that I don't have much word in my vocabulary. At first I doubt my ear get tired , but no , it's really there
Maybe that's the limit

I just got WS-12 subwoofer for nearly a week. In my country, this is an only subwoofer that I aware get stocked and allow to audition , I had think about it for months before the purchase
I can say the bass of IN8s only is not enough. Even the specs say it reach 37Hz -10db. I use tone generator tool to test it . With the help of the front wall, it "feels" linear to 37Hz , before drop hard at 36Hz . I see that the port tube of IN8 help the woofer to do the job to create bass at sub bass ( I mean lower bass), maybe it's not as good as actually driver cone like 12 inch woofer of WS-12? I still fooling around with it . But I can say that, even with the help of Subwoofer, I still can't reach the loudness of 8361A . The loudness I reach don't improve at all in long session listening compare to IN8 alone . I believe the problem is not the bass, the problem is the tweeter as mid range not as powerful as 8361A . But in the end of the day, I'm glad that I don't have to dream about 8361A no more , my audio quest is completed

Edit:
Anyone shouldn't get this speaker
If that a question, then yes . As I describe
I won't recommend IN8 to anyone that value the loudness, want to hear at really loud volume, they should seek a more wattage speaker
I won't recommend IN8 to anyone love to hear smooth, clear high frequency (such as female vocal) at loud
I won't recommend IN8 to anyone use it as much nearfield speaker place them <80m apart , and sit 0.6, 0.5m far from the center is when it sound wrong to me. 0.5 0.6 listening postion is really a critical point, when the speaker may disappoint you , even the specs is 0.5m-4m listening position
All in all, Kali IN8 is not a perfect speaker like Genelec 8361A

Last edited:

khanhncm

Hi @khanhncm - I assume you were taking about the IN-8v2, could you explain the above statement a bit more.
Note: I have the V1, I've never seen V2 in my life. But they should be the same

Here you go
An article from Kali themself
"Some speakers, like the Kali Audio IN-8 are designed to function in any position as a point source. These speakers can be placed on their side. Because high frequencies tend to be more directional and low frequencies tend to be more omni-directional, orienting your tweeters on the outside will widen the stereo image and keep the low end more centered. You can compare this to mixing drums; generally you’ll keep the kick centered while cymbals can have a greater stereo width."

At first, I'm skeptical. But, I have no choice, have to try all the direction myself to verify that, listen for a time, 1 2 days. I find that if I place like they said, it's the best . It just feels right to me . The sound image feels real, connected , continuously from left to right
The normal position, upright, tweeter above, woofer below, I feel bass hit my chest , a bit fatigue
Then upside down , I still feel disconnect compare to horizontal direction
Horizontal direction, but flip them . That's sound so bad, I can't remember anything . I flip them back right away after some minutes , I don't find it worth it to try for any further

My theory is . The higher the woofer from the ground , it helps low frequency from woofer, don't get cancel between the direct sound and the reflected sound of that direct sound from the ground and bounce back . Maybe, 2 woofer of 2 studio monitor get nearer to each other , they get connected ?
I don't know exactly how it's better. Measurement on this forum, even by Erin , erinaudiocorner, only measure single speaker . So I couldn't find any scientific clue to back this up
Again, if you have any chance to do audition yourself, take it , try it

Place them horizontally like that, help me feel superior , professional somehow .... just kidding . Really , only coaxial speaker like IN8 could do that

Edit

Hi there, I should phase it like this for easier understanding
I realize that I should use the word orientation instead of direction
I mean I place them both at horizontal orientation, they lie on their side, woofer inner, tweeter/midrange outer
I don't mean you treat it as single speaker. I have no idea how to set up 5.1 7.1 at this orientation

So I wanna refine my description
When place at other orientation, I feel like the bass is separated away from the whole sound
Hope this make sense
Let's me elaborate more. For example, when place as normal speaker , vertical orientation, coaxial tweeter + midrange on top, woofer at bottom
Use on axis, at tweeter as reference point . Assume everything is the same, triangle positioning, and all the crap
If I get my head higher, I feel less bass. If I get my head lower (nearer to the woofer) , it's sound like bass boost to me . I get confused, some time I find myself love to lower my head for bass boost, sometime I get tired , and wanna get my head higher
Somehow, I feel like sound come from the woofer , separated from tweeter/midrange, I feel something off here
That apply to all other orientation

At horizontal orientation, this effect is disappear . Head down or up, sound just feel the same . Image stay right there consistently , wide, I don't really find myself any urge to move away from the sweet position vertically or horizontally to seek bass boost or less bass, But I do find I'm freely to move my head around to pinpoint instrument position. The sound image is insane
When I get nearer at phantom center . If that false effect still apply, I will feel bass boost because I sit near to both of the woofer . But no, sound is still good. I keep get nearer and nearer until the sound image break away , everything sound off, I can't pinpoint instrument position anymore

Hope my vague description help anyone somehow . Again I'm no pro , this is my anecdotal experience. English is not my native language, so sorry for any inconvenient

Last edited:

Sam Ash

Note: I have the V1, I've never seen V2 in my life. But they should be the same

Here you go
An article from Kali themself
"Some speakers, like the Kali Audio IN-8 are designed to function in any position as a point source. These speakers can be placed on their side. Because high frequencies tend to be more directional and low frequencies tend to be more omni-directional, orienting your tweeters on the outside will widen the stereo image and keep the low end more centered. You can compare this to mixing drums; generally you’ll keep the kick centered while cymbals can have a greater stereo width."

At first, I'm skeptical. But, I have no choice, have to try all the direction myself to verify that, listen for a time, 1 2 days. I find that if I place like they said, it's the best . It just feels right to me . The sound image feels real, connected , continuously from left to right
The normal position, upright, tweeter above, woofer below, I feel bass hit my chest , a bit fatigue
Then upside down , I still feel disconnect compare to horizontal direction
Horizontal direction, but flip them . That's sound so bad, I can't remember anything . I flip them back right away after some minutes , I don't find it worth it to try for any further

My theory is . The higher the woofer from the ground , it helps low frequency from woofer, don't get cancel between the direct sound and the reflected sound of that direct sound from the ground and bounce back . Maybe, 2 woofer of 2 studio monitor get nearer to each other , they get connected ?
I don't know exactly how it's better. Measurement on this forum, even by Erin , erinaudiocorner, only measure single speaker . So I couldn't find any scientific clue to back this up
Again, if you have any chance to do audition yourself, take it , try it

Place them horizontally like that, help me feel superior , professional somehow .... just kidding . Really , only coaxial speaker like IN8 could do that

Edit

Hi there, I should phase it like this for easier understanding
I realize that I should use the word orientation instead of direction
I mean I place them both at horizontal orientation, they lie on their side, woofer inner, tweeter/midrange outer
I don't mean you treat it as single speaker. I have no idea how to set up 5.1 7.1 at this orientation

So I wanna refine my description
When place at other orientation, I feel like the bass is separated away from the whole sound
Hope this make sense
Let's me elaborate more. For example, when place as normal speaker , vertical orientation, coaxial tweeter + midrange on top, woofer at bottom
Use on axis, at tweeter as reference point . Assume everything is the same, triangle positioning, and all the crap
If I get my head higher, I feel less bass. If I get my head lower (nearer to the woofer) , it's sound like bass boost to me . I get confused, some time I find myself love to lower my head for bass boost, sometime I get tired , and wanna get my head higher
Somehow, I feel like sound come from the woofer , separated from tweeter/midrange, I feel something off here
That apply to all other orientation

At horizontal orientation, this effect is disappear . Head down or up, sound just feel the same . Image stay right there consistently , wide, I don't really find myself any urge to move away from the sweet position vertically or horizontally to seek bass boost or less bass, But I do find I'm freely to move my head around to pinpoint instrument position. The sound image is insane
When I get nearer at phantom center . If that false effect still apply, I will feel bass boost because I sit near to both of the woofer . But no, sound is still good. I keep get nearer and nearer until the sound image break away , everything sound off, I can't pinpoint instrument position anymore

Hope my vague description help anyone somehow . Again I'm no pro , this is my anecdotal experience. English is not my native language, so sorry for any inconvenient

Hello @khanhncm,

Thank you so much for your detailed and excellent explanation. You have taken the time and effort to explain in a way that is understandable and useful.

By the way, your english is pretty decent.

badspeakerdesigner

If it were my money I'd get the IN-8 for the benefits of coax and a woofer to reduce mid excursion. I would be EQing them in room so the response differences don't concern me that much.

Sam Ash

If it were my money I'd get the IN-8 for the benefits of coax and a woofer to reduce mid excursion. I would be EQing them in room so the response differences don't concern me that much.

What tools you use for EQ? Is it an outboard DSP? Would you EQ the full bandwidth of each channel or keep it below the transition?

khanhncm

1678698697060.jpeg

Hi there,
After spending more time with my system. Much more time playing with subwoofer. I find that, if the system have subwoofer, I should place them up-side down like this, woofer top, tweeter/mid range bottom . I find the sound is more balance
Perhaps because I'm a short guy. Horizontal orientation + subwoofer , feel like bass boost to me
But I'll keep my recommendation about placing the studio monitor on their (horizontal orientation) if your system don't have any subwoofer

I just get the Kali V2 here. As you can see, I sit real close to subwoofer, feet nearly touch or even wrap around it
Hiss still there, but much much lower volume compare to IN8 . But if I remember correctly , on par with or perhaps lower than 8361A
I set my face right in front of the tweeter , I still don't notice it much, really really small hiss, until I turn my head 90 degree, so my ear in front of it. Then I get my ear backward, it's smaller, smaller, until disappear at about 0.6m or so. So, won't be a problem no more , especially compare to the V1 .

At any rate, I find that I should spend time with them before giving further statement

Sam Ash

Do the IN-8v2 make that "thud" sound when you switch them on or off? - I really don't like that sound. I usually don't like to leave equipment switched-on and would have a master switch to switch-off all equipment after use. Should not be the case if the speakers are switched-off before the preamp.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Do the IN-8v2 make that "thud" sound when you switch them on or off? - I really don't like that sound. I usually don't like to leave equipment switched-on and would have a master switch to switch-off all equipment after use. Should not be the case if the speakers are switched-off before the preamp.
No pops on mine on power on or off.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I tested mine by manually turning off at speaker, unplugging them and turning off topping DAC first, no pop/thud with those combinations.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Edit:
Anyone shouldn't get this speaker
If that a question, then yes . As I describe
I won't recommend IN8 to anyone that value the loudness, want to hear at really loud volume, they should seek a more wattage speaker
I won't recommend IN8 to anyone love to hear smooth, clear high frequency (such as female vocal) at loud
I won't recommend IN8 to anyone use it as much nearfield speaker place them <80m apart , and sit 0.6, 0.5m far from the center is when it sound wrong to me. 0.5 0.6 listening postion is really a critical point, when the speaker may disappoint you , even the specs is 0.5m-4m listening position
All in all, Kali IN8 is not a perfect speaker like Genelec 8361A
You have interface Focusrite Scarlett, but how you listen music?
Oh, I see now, you use PC, right?
I think about these Kali - IN-8v2, but I'm not sure about source. I don't want use notebook, because is noisy.

Pritaudio

the sub is unique in that it has a high pass filter.
Lots of crossover options too, unto 140Hz.
surely that must take some load off the mains in8 v2.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Ported subs usually have a high pass filter, right? Responsible ones do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom