• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to connect streamer to Loxjie A30

HillBilly

Based on the review by AMIRM I ordered a Loxjie A30. It appeared that the digital input was a lot better than using the analog input though I may have misread it. I have a Chromecast Audio. I read somewhere on ASR that digital out on the CCA would convert the signal from analog back to digital for the toslink connection which would be bad. I’m also willing to buy a WiiM Mini if it would be a better way to go and then sell the CCA. I plan to use this streamer to Loxjie setup only for Spotify Connect. I can connect using analog or digital as I have all the cables. My (hopefully) simple question is, given my options, what is the best way to do connect one of these streamers to the A30 and would the WiiM be the better choice than the CCA? My guess is WiiM toslink to Loxjie, however, I’d prefer an answer from someone with greater audio knowledge than me!
For speakers I’ll be using Klipsch Heresy with upgraded crossovers. The Loxjie setup will be the 12-24 month solution and will then be repurposed. I’d appreciate any recommendations.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I read somewhere on ASR that digital out on the CCA would convert the signal from analog back to digital for the toslink connection which would be bad.
I've never heard of this. Got a link?

OP
H

HillBilly

I've never heard of this. Got a link?
Based on reading 22 or the 45 pages of the Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output my guess is what I wrote was either a misquote on my part or bad information provided by someone else. I guess what my question now becomes quite simply is the CCA as good as the WiiM? One or the other will be optically connected to the A30.

vert

Forum Donor
As far as I know (from Amir's review) the CCA is near as good as it gets, at least via toslink, I'm not sure what more the WiiM would give you. I've been using it recently connected to my A30 (wasn't using it much before that) and it's working very well, via a 50cm, extra thin toslink cable. On one occasion, after I had not rebooted my PC for days, the CCA was no longer detected and a reboot solved that. Otherwise, it will play all day without a glitch. Via Android, no issues at all either.

Off topic, but an article from about 4 months ago came up in my feed the other day, saying the legal case between Google and Sonos over the CCA technology had been solved, and a new version of the CCA might be in the works. Which would be cool. But the "old" CCA works well as it is in my experience.

Last edited:
OP
H

HillBilly

As far as I know (from Amir's review) the CCA is near as good as it gets, at least via toslink, I'm not sure what more the WiiM would give you. I've been using it recently connected to my A30 (wasn't using it much before that) and it's working very well, via a 50cm, extra thin toslink cable. On one occasion, after I had not rebooted my PC for days, the CCA was no longer detected and a reboot solved that. Otherwise, it will play all day without a glitch. Via Android, no issues at all either.

Off topic, but an article from about 4 months ago came up in my feed the other day, saying the legal case between Google and Sonos over the CCA technology had been solved, and a new version of the CCA might be in the works. Which would be cool. But the "old" CCA works well as it is in my experience.
Vert, thanks a lot for your reply and the information. That’s what I wanted.

Steve.

Wanted to chime in and say i switched from CCA to Wiim Pro out of curiosity. So far I'm enjoying the spotify/tidal connect services, the gapless playback and for my system the digital eq for bumping 2khz on klipsches. So there's some small quality of life improvements if you choose to go that route

haloeight

Wanted to chime in and say i switched from CCA to Wiim Pro out of curiosity. So far I'm enjoying the spotify/tidal connect services, the gapless playback and for my system the digital eq for bumping 2khz on klipsches. So there's some small quality of life improvements if you choose to go that route
Thanks. I just picked one up myself to try and get my desktop streaming to my Sonos setup without needing their software. Looks like the Sonos integration is still on the Wiim Pro roadmap.

So do I understand correctly you're going from the music service apps on your phone / Wiim Pro app to stream directly to the A30 and whatever speakers are connected to it?

jdg78

Thanks. I just picked one up myself to try and get my desktop streaming to my Sonos setup without needing their software. Looks like the Sonos integration is still on the Wiim Pro roadmap.

I’d be very surprised if Wiim will ever be integrated with Sonos as they are basically direct competitors.

I’ve been using a Sonos Connect to stream to my main system for the past several years but am considering ditching it for a couple Wiim minis as I want to expand into multi room playback and the Wiim basically does the same thing as the Sonos connect for 1/6 the price.

haloeight

I’d be very surprised if Wiim will ever be integrated with Sonos as they are basically direct competitors.

I’ve been using a Sonos Connect to stream to my main system for the past several years but am considering ditching it for a couple Wiim minis as I want to expand into multi room playback and the Wiim basically does the same thing as the Sonos connect for 1/6 the price.
Yeah. I personally reversed course and ended up with a Connect to do the job I was looking for - stream music from my PC source to my existing investment in Sonos speakers. I couldn't get the Wiim Pro to work for this since Sonos support is still on the roadmap. But if I were to do it all over again / not have a pile of Sonos kit, I think I'd take the same path you're considering. Just to have the flexibility of speaker choice even. I dislike the Sonos desktop player software and do not want to be doing everything through my phone.

Top Bottom