• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 - Amazon sent me the wrong adapter; electrical question.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
I just received a Topping D30. I own a THX 789 (precisely because of Amir's recommendation), but I needed a substantial dac to pair it with. When I tore open the packaging, I thought it was almost too good to be true... and indeed it was. I received a UK plug... and I live in Southern California. I did not see an option to switch adapters on the amazon page I purchased this from. I double checked and everything!

Is there a US version of this plug I can buy? Should I try to find a UK to USA plug to slap on this thing? If I did would that damage the unit? Would it not perform up to its full potential?

Or should I just return the thing?

Darwin

Return it. I ordered a D30 from Amazon and got a completely different Topping DAC.

OP
imagidominc

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Return it. I ordered a D30 from Amazon and got a completely different Topping DAC.
Dude that SUCKS. Yeah I will return it.
On the Topping D30 purchase page it says "You will get a US or UK plug based on your location." Well, their software must be way off then. I really want a dac but dont want an sdac or khadas tone board (I know it's one of the best but the lack of a case threw me off). I was really looking forward to the d30 because I wanted a great dac around $100 but now I feel kinda stuck because I dont want to try ordering the d30 again only to have the same thing happen. :(

Darwin

I ordered the D10 with it and returned everything I was so annoyed.

OP
imagidominc

imagidominc

Forum Donor
I just ordered an EL Dac with custom engraving. I did it more to support companies I like such as JDS Labs. I've already had interactions with their customer service which was phenomenal.

Last edited:

Darwin

I just ordered an EL Dac with custom engraving. I did it more to support companies I like such as JDS Labs. I've already had interactions with their customer service which was phenomenal.

Yes I got an el dac and el amp too.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there a US version of this plug I can buy? Should I try to find a UK to USA plug to slap on this thing? If I did would that damage the unit? Would it not perform up to its full potential?
Look on the power supply and see if the voltage range goes down to 110/120. If so a simple adapter would work and would be perfectly safe. Still, since this is Amazon, I would exchange it for another.

OP
imagidominc

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Look on the power supply and see if the voltage range goes down to 110/120. If so a simple adapter would work and would be perfectly safe. Still, since this is Amazon, I would exchange it for another.
I know I must be the 1 in a million person this has happened to, but this incident has soured me on topping for the foreseeable future. Thanks for responding Amir! I've been lurking for several months on this site but finally joined. I've worked with pro audio all my life, but once I started getting into HiFi I was wondering how much of it was snake oil. I have always been a big proponent of science, so I must say I am a huge fan and love the work you do. I am happy to be a part of the community that you've started here that actually cares about good science and engineering in HiFi.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I know I must be the 1 in a million person this has happened to, but this incident has soured me on topping for the foreseeable future. Thanks for responding Amir! I've been lurking for several months on this site but finally joined. I've worked with pro audio all my life, but once I started getting into HiFi I was wondering how much of it was snake oil. I have always been a big proponent of science, so I must say I am a huge fan and love the work you do. I am happy to be a part of the community that you've started here that actually cares about good science and engineering in HiFi.
Contact the seller, they'll likely send you the right plug

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Send it back to Amazon, get your next one from Parts Express.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
All you had to do was call amazon customer service and if it was in stock in a amazon warehouse you could have gotten them to send you a new one next day and gotten a $15 dollar credit if you had asked for it,if the vendor sent it make them give you a credit off of it.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually, if you complain to Amazon, they send you a new item without even needing to return the first one.

invaderzim

Send it back to Amazon, get your next one from Parts Express.

I second both of these ideas. Support the smaller guys that stand behind the products.
I had a D30 die after about 6 months and Topping's warranty says to send it back to them in China. I had bought it from Parts-Express and they took care of it for me, quickly and painlessly.
I emailed JDS Labs with a question on a Sunday evening and got an answer 20 minutes later.

Hypnotoad

I got a D30 sent to Australia and it came with a PSU that was designed for the U.S. it included an adapter, which was completely useless, wouldn't make a proper connection all the time. Eventually ditched the PSU and using one that came with a modem/router we no longer use. Topping need to address this issue.

Top Bottom