• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RSL CG25 Center Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 26 16.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 70 44.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 50 32.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 6.4%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still don't reckon much to these centre speakers!

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is this RSL the "new" reboot of Rogersound Labs? I know they are building their own product again...my very first speakers were Rogersound Labs bookshelves from the Van Nuys, CA store in 1974. They were pretty great.

TimW

Major Contributor
I didn't think I'd ever see a recommendation of a MTM center from Amir. This one seems especially flawed which is even more confusing. For the same price, here is one that doesn't need EQ to sound good, has no resonance, and has lower distortion with higher overall sensitivity.
CMT-340SE2_Center_CEA2034.png

1677689799001.png

Keened

Forum Donor
The only four I've seen which look to be alright are the C208 and C52, KEF center and Ascend Acoustics center all reviewed here. And you can see why. They are something of a tall center with vertically oriented tweeter and midrange flanked by woofers. A TM/WW layout?

index.php

I usually see them written out as WTMW with the understanding that the TM is vertically aligned.

And you're right, it is for sure a compromised design from the start, but it has surprisingly good psycho-acoustical properties once EQ'd. Also it costs 1/4 of what that particular AA center costs and fits in better with most home decor :)

They leverage a lot of the benefits the transmission line to create what is widely considered to be 'good sound' from most subjective reviews; I suspect the phase coherency and even harmonics play a larger role in determining what 'sounds good' than the metrics used for what 'sounds right'.

But yeah, if you want an ideal radiation pattern center, you can't beat a vertical alignment. It's just a hard sell to work into the layout for most people.

Keened

Forum Donor
I didn't think I'd ever see a recommendation of a MTM center from Amir. This one seems especially flawed which is even more confusing. For the same price, here is one that doesn't need EQ to sound good, has no resonance, and has lower distortion with higher overall sensitivity.

Oh that is very interesting, released late last year. I've been hearing about the new Sierra line up but not much about their Signature line. Definitely worth looking into.

Edit: oh but it's rear ported, got to give it some room off the wall

TimW

Major Contributor
Oh that is very interesting, released late last year. I've been hearing about the new Sierra line up but not much about their Signature line. Definitely worth looking into.
I actually own the CMT-340SE2s and for stereo they are very good. If I were to set up a surround sound system I would be hesitant to get the matching center due to the MTM configuration but if Amir says it can be wide enough dispersion for a love seat then maybe it's fine.

rvsixer

Agree on all points in this post, unfortunately the 340SE2 still has the same and expected toppled 2-way MTM issue - most all seem to hover around +/- 15-20 degrees horizontal dispersion (+/- 6dB window):
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...0SE2_Contour_Plot_-_Vertical.png?v=1667559632
Note this plot is from the mains 340SE2 page...so it would be the horizontal dispersion for the 340SE2 center. In fairness, and imo welcomed move, Ascend has developed a new "Off-Axis Estimated In-Room Response" measurement in conjunction with Klippel that somewhat eases toppled MTM concerns.

Sadly no Signature series monitor improvements (which would then work great for surrounds/Atmos) in the lineup (or forthcoming per their forums), which at this point is keeping me from going with a full Ascend setup. I have a competitor small compact toppled MTM in for ASR test, that is promised to break the 20-degree barrier...I need +/- 25 degrees for my new small HT build.

Last edited:

TimW

Major Contributor
Sadly no Signature series monitor improvements (which would then work great for surrounds/Atmos) in the lineup (or forthcoming per their forums), which at this point is keeping me from going with a full Ascend setup. I have a competitor small compact toppled MTM in for test, that is promised to break the 20-degree barrier...I need +/- 25 degrees for my new small HT build.
On the forum Dave has said he doesn't want to mess with the CBM-170SE design due to its popularity. However he has mentioned possibly creating an alternative model optimized with the Klippel. I wouldn't count on one coming out anytime soon though.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless I am reading it wrong, the EQ being discussed to apply, is to tame the bass response. The narrowing of the horizontal dispersion occurs well above that range, so the -6dB response dip at +/- 18 degrees still applies, EQ or not?
Once you tame the bass the dip drops to 4dB

rvsixer

On the forum Dave has said he doesn't want to mess with the CBM-170SE design due to its popularity. However he has mentioned possibly creating an alternative model optimized with the Klippel. I wouldn't count on one coming out anytime soon though.
I caught the first reason (but why mess with the 340SE then I wonder). Missed the second post from him. But yea either are a ways off, unless they are already in hush hush progress :rolleyes: ....

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
CMT-340SE2_Center_CEA2034.png

View attachment 268523
Where can I see the dispersion diagram?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s vertical, which is not as important in a centre speaker use case. May I ask for the horizontal? Or the source of the measurements?

Top Bottom