• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the last word on audio cable?

Dismayed

No. I thought people on ASR knew how things work. The sound from say a CD has no ultrasonics. So these cables weld the ultrasonics back onto the signal for full bandwidth reproduction. Hence ultrasonically welded ends. It only matters what comes out of the ends of the cable.

/s
He was joking about the ultrasonic welding of the connectors. At least I think he was joking!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the summary after a few threads on this place is that 14-16 awg terminaetd with bananas or spades is fine

even bare wire screwed in is ok

go 12 awg if you're really concerned or running very high powered stuff eg. krells to electrostats etc.

DonR

Major Contributor
Now, an AC signal, like audio, should use a directional cable, right, because you want the current flow to the speaker ;)
If it's non-directional, some of the electrons can get confused about where to go and spill on the carpet leaving a stain. Wife not impressed.

Dismayed

If it's non-directional, some of the electrons can get confused about where to go and spill on the carpet leaving a stain. Wife not impressed.
It also helps to put the amp above the speakers so the electrons flow downhill.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It also helps to put the amp above the speakers so the electrons flow downhill.
You guys are forgetting the all important Tice Clock contribution of *organizing* and *aligning* the electrons. Scattered electrons sound messy.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I have always seen the same thing when it comes to cables and different people. If it makes sense and craftsmanship accounts for anything
BLING can cost money. I understand how cables work and what it takes to make a good cable for the environment it is in. I stay away from
certain types because there is better material for the same money. There are materials I won't use for cable construction and materials I will.
No different than when I made analog/digital cables harness for machinery. Working in a shop environment vs 30 degrees F at 30 meters in
150+ degree fractured rock in Geyserville. Two very different purpose built cables.

Just like the look of spool cable, the cable a lot of people use usually came off a spool somewhere and someone added more "STUFF" along
with a name like "Donkey" or "Clydesdale"

Rhodium is good for extremely harsh weather and salty/acidic/base conditions like gold and it attract magpies. Magpies like shiny thing. I have a little
"Magpie" in me. BUT looks and good cable don't have to cost a fortune. As a matter of fact, I can have my cake and eat it too. I've used the same
cable assemblers in China for close to 6 years. Mom and pop stores. AliExpress has access to good material too.
You just have to source and confirm what you're buying. I think I picked up terminal ends from AE. Sure were high quality parts for the cost.

Other than being radioactive the cable and terminal ends are fine, bugs aren't a problem. :cool:

Bling and someone's attention to detail I'LL PAY FOR. I'm just not willing to pay anything close to the what Audio cables are going for.
100.00 usd vs 1-100K. I'm a good for a pair of shiny cable at 100.00 usd. I've heard about counterfeit cable but to tell the truth I'm
not sure what that means. The cable I use is usually unbranded or it is from an actual manufacture I guess?

I use domestic 99.9999 OFC SOOW and JSoow for a lot of things.

I don't use aluminum or aluminum clad cables. There is no need, there is better materials at the same or close to the same price.

I think good sense, spiffy looks and getting a well made product is a worthy goal. BUT IF YOU LIKE UGLY. They have ugly dog contest
why not ugly cables. LOL

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
HiK2pagvBlj7Y0GYhN8j--1--uynpj.jpg
Gremlin?
LEAD-IMAGE-amc_gremlin_1978.jpg

:cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If it's non-directional, some of the electrons can get confused about where to go and spill on the carpet leaving a stain.
What color is that stain? Does it depend on the energy of the electrons?
This is important!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What color is that stain? Does it depend on the energy of the electrons?
This is important!
Come on guys. Copper leaves a green stain and silver is almost hard to see. Why do you think silver cables are better?:rolleyes:

Actually, silver oxide is rather black and bleak looking.

JeffGB

For speaker wires I just use whatever decent copper wire that is thick enough to provide low impedance. For interconnects, for balanced I use high quality pro cables from the music store. I tried a couple of their less expensive balanced cables and the poor quality of the connectors showed, with the rubber boots constantly coming off and the fit not so perfect but they sound the same. I just prefer the premium, lifetime guaranteed, with neutrik and amphenol connectors, but they are still relatively cheap and definitely not "audiophile" priced.

RCA cables are more troublesome. I have extreme RF etc noise in my apartment at the top of a high rise. There are multiple cell transmitters on the roof. The cables are NOT the same, in this instance. Some are REALLY noisy and some not nearly as bad. I'm still not sure what particular parameter is the cause of the difference but it's a real pain. The problem is made worse by the fact that I use a DAC to Pre to Power amp to provide an analog volume control that is buffered. It's just a Schiit Heresy atm. Once again, good quality RCA cables are available at most music stores for a reasonable price. I'm thinking about getting a Schiit Magneus to give me a continuous balanced connection from my DAC as that will probably be cheaper and better than messing with anymore different cables, transformers etc.

Overseas

Major Contributor
My usual speaker cables are QED 79 at 3 euro/m. I also got a pair of QED Silver Spiral at 250 euro fir 6 m with 'factory' terminations. Thats the most exotic cable I am willing to pay and hold, for peace of mind. I got the expensive one for thickness and OFC, same way I use Ethernet instead of WIFI whenever possible.

delta76

Major Contributor
My usual speaker cables are QED 79 at 3 euro/m. I also got a pair of QED Silver Spiral at 250 euro fir 6 m with 'factory' terminations. Thats the most exotic cable I am willing to pay and hold, for peace of mind. I got the expensive one for thickness and OFC, same way I use Ethernet instead of WIFI whenever possible.
if you like it for pure aesthetic reasons, sure. but thickness and OFC can be had for much cheaper. made in Germany too https://www.amazon.de/-/en/KabelDirekt-Speaker-Speakers-Surround-Polarity-copper/dp/B01LFA7MHM/

what's wrong with WiFi?

Dismayed

The other way around! Electrons are negatively charged! That's why in most audio shows you can see the amps as low as possible, on the floor.
That’s a common misconception. Gravitons don’t repel electrons. But dark energy may be a factor, so you may be right. I’ll have to watch for developments in unified field theory.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Last word on speaker cables? Termination.

If there are any battles to be lost or won, this is where. The rest matters very little.

Top Bottom