• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the last word on audio cable?

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Yes large cross section and short , that’s all you have to do , the amazon cables are one choice that works :)
I never understood silver / aluminum / copper wiring differences, people can really hear differences in material?

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

From my EE days:
Copper I think is something like 97% conductive as Silver, which lets say is 100%.

However, this is variable on temperature too, freeze the copper down to -50C and Silver down to -50C, they get more conductive. Are we now going to thermally freeze our speaker wires to super conductivity, so impedance goes to zero?

Hey guys I have a novel idea, lets sell super conductivity wires for $100k a pop, and with it, sell $500/month 1L liquid nitrogen so idiots have to subscribe to our plan and every month you have to refil your liquid nitrogen tank to reduce harshness so that you wires have to be in a super conductive state.

The irony is that, the two ends are not super conductive, so you're still pretty much using regular wire

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It's just basic physics.

Which is why it's remarkable that there is so much nonsense that still gets traction. I wonder how many who use that throwaway argument could pass a basic high school physics test.

I never understood silver / aluminum / copper wiring differences, people can really hear differences in material?

Only when they are looking so they know it's got the special magic happening. Can they do it when they are taking a proper blind test? Not so far. From anyone. Ever.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I was trying to think of a word and I think I've got the answer... The last word is "difference" and the first word is "no". :D :D :D ...With the assumption that the cables are appropriate for the application (shielded when necessary, and of sufficient gauge, etc.).

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

They definitely do... but it's only through the power of suggestion.

I'm not really sure what kind of bonkers logic gets them there.

Something like Johnson–Nyquist noise magically morphing into huge amounts of distortion when using pleb-metals. Or the idea that metals are somehow a strange network of diodes that gives weird undefined nonlinearities. Or the fan favorite: Quantum-something-something. The BS never stops.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve also had rhodium plated speaker spades and banana plugs and silver spades ?

What our trolls in this tread does not realise is that some of us has been card carrying audiophools for decades before realising it was all hogwash and we been had by con artists .

I’ve heard all these night and day differences myself and ofcourse every speaker wire sounded different to me back then :)

I’ve moved all my leftover audioquest joke cables to the metal recycling when I got active speakers so they where not needed , and I did not want to continue the fraud by selling them to some other poor sod.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

I’ve also had rhodium plated speaker spades and banana plugs and silver spades ?

What our trolls in this tread does not realise is that some of us has been card carrying audiophools for decades before realising it was all hogwash and we been had by con artists .

I’ve heard all these night and day differences myself and ofcourse every speaker wire sounded different to me back then :)

I’ve moved all my leftover audioquest joke cables to the metal recycling when I got active speakers so they where not needed , and I did not want to continue the fraud by selling them to some other poor sod.

I also have Rhodium plated end points in the personalized cables I made. Wow they make such a huge difference, sound is warmer, my wife loves me more, life is happier.

Dismayed

Only if they can see the cables!

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy Blue Jeans cables because the price is reasonable and the terminals are ultrasonicly welded.
Those ultrasonics result in a harsh sound tho.

</sarcasm>

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those ultrasonics result in a harsh sound tho.

</sarcasm>
No. I thought people on ASR knew how things work. The sound from say a CD has no ultrasonics. So these cables weld the ultrasonics back onto the signal for full bandwidth reproduction. Hence ultrasonically welded ends. It only matters what comes out of the ends of the cable.

/s

RF Air

Forum Donor
I use Blue Jean Cable because they have been recommended here on ASR. They are a small US based business and their products have been reasonably priced with nice hardware and craftsmanship. They strike me as a straightforward product that offers a great product for a good price without the silly Bells and Whistles.

The old adage of spending 10% of your Equipment Budget on cables was great for sales, but impractical for performance. If you can hear a difference, spend what you can afford. What makes you happy is where you find satisfaction of having purchased what you like, and what you value; for the expense that completely satisfies you and your Entertainment System, IMHO.

radix

Major Contributor
Now, an AC signal, like audio, should use a directional cable, right, because you want the current flow to the speaker ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The old adage of spending 10% of your Equipment Budget on cables was great for sales, but impractical for performance.

That old adage improved their profit margins by about 9% (for those falling for it), and audible performance by about zero.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That old adage improved their profit margins by about 9% (for those falling for it), and audible performance by about zero.
And now they are trying to hang on to electronics sales as the cost of transparency with power has plummeted. At this point it’s like 80% speakers For bigger systems and 60% for smaller.

Top Bottom