• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFiMan Sundara, Beyer DT-990, AKG K550...

FurstMan

Hi,

I currently own a Beyer' DT-770 Pro 80ohm which I use on a Cambridge CX A60 connected to my PC via a USB/SPDIF PHIREE U2S interface. This headset was chosen after reading various tests, to replace a faulty AKG K550.

The construction of the DT-770 is clearly superior to the K550 (the materials seem robust and the spare parts are reassuring), the bass is also deeper than on the K550 which sometimes seemed too quiet on certain music.
However, I remain unsatisfied: the K550 had an incredible soundstage, full of detail and great precision. Enough to listen to hours of music with great moments of thrill. What I do not find with the DT-770 which gives me the impression of being often cramped and unclear.

So I plan to buy a second headset (the DT-770 will be used during gaming/discord sessions or when my girlfriend works next to me).

I initially leaned on a DT-990 250 ohm in order to find the sensations of open headphones (precision, spatialization and increased soundstage) but the very divergent opinions brought me to the HiFiMan Sundara which is equipped with planar transducers magnetic.

Do you think this one will allow me to find a wide and precise soundstage, as I could have with a K550, or even better?
Will my Cambridge CXA60 be able to power it properly? I don't even know if it's a good amp for my DT-770. (spec headphone outpout here : https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio..../202201712/CXA60_Technical_Specifications.pdf)
Do headphones with planar magnetic transducers make a real difference?

Thank you in advance for your answers, I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Good day to you !

Last edited:

isostasy

Is it broken beyond the capabilities of a soldering iron? I thought the K550 had a removable cable as well, so it may be worth trying to fix if you enjoyed them so much.

Otherwise the AKG K371 is the most obvious suggestion if you liked the K550. Beyers are tuned quite differently.

OP
FurstMan

FurstMan

Thank you for your answer.

The soldering iron repair does not seem to be possible, I damaged my K550 when I wanted to change the headband pad. Trying to remove the sticker part of it, I bent the cable that connects the two ears. The cable is a sort of flat foil, so it's not just a "standard" cable (this photo is not mine).

akgk550.png

In addition, I would like to go upmarket and enjoy an even greater sound experience if possible.

Regarding the K371, this is a closed headphone whose sound reproduction is known to be narrow. So I don't think it meets my expectations.

Last edited:
OP
FurstMan

FurstMan

Indeed, I could look into the subject but I really want to go upmarket, discover even greater sensations. That's why I'm asking for your help.

Reactions: GPJ
OP
FurstMan

FurstMan

Hi,

Finally after a lot of research I think to opt for a HiFiMAN HE400SE, cheaper than the Sundara and more balanced than the DT-990.

PS: I managed to soften the V-signature of my DT-770 which makes listening much more balanced but that does not solve the closed and narrow aspect of the sound. Hence my choice for the HE400SE.

Thank you and have a good day.

pagan84

Hi,

Finally after a lot of research I think to opt for a HiFiMAN HE400SE, cheaper than the Sundara and more balanced than the DT-990.

PS: I managed to soften the V-signature of my DT-770 which makes listening much more balanced but that does not solve the closed and narrow aspect of the sound. Hence my choice for the HE400SE.

Thank you and have a good day.
Hi,

How's your HE400SE? similar to K550? Better?
Isn't K371 or Austrian Audio X60 a direct successor of K550?

OP
FurstMan

FurstMan

Hi,

How's your HE400SE? similar to K550? Better?
Isn't K371 or Austrian Audio X60 a direct successor of K550?
Hi,

After a long listen on my Cambridge CXA60, this HE400se is simply amazing. Probably the best headset experience I've had. Detail, openness, accuracy, depth, impact, but never without exaggerating (I used the Oratory1990 EQ setting to perfect the whole thing).

I also bought myself a Topping DX1 in order to have a dedicated dac/amp and, although the result is still great, I find that it sounds less warm. Which makes the sound a little less "musical" for my taste.
I guess the CXA60 with its Wolfson WM8740 dac brings some warmth while the DX1 is perfectly neutral. So I'm thinking of sending the DX1 back and opting for a warmer dac/headphone amp.

Top Bottom