• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC under 1500USD with top performance volume control

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My be @VintageFlanker can do it with the E70
Already done by @amirm, no?
Topping E70 Stereo USB DAC Bluetooth Balanced THD vs Level Measurements.png

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)
been searching and searching to find a good DAC that would have pre amp performance (all I need is volume control and balanced outputs) at the same level of a Schiit Freya or a Topping Pre90 for example.

straight to my powered speakers (Genelec G series) and I'm done with this game :D

You need a really good DAC and a Big Knob!

Mackie Big Knob Passive

bk_passive_web_3qtr_left_rev100_0_0.jpg

It uses TRS connectors and not XLR's and internally it is not balanced (despite being "Studio" gear - balanced is mostly BS anyway) and is dirt cheap.

You could also make your own as a DIY Project:

Passive Monitor Controller

image-asset.jpeg

Personally I'd be tempted to use a 10k : 600 CT Transformer on the input (usually monitors have way too much gain anyway) and a 4-deck, 47 position ELMA stepped attenuator in 300 Ohm per deck. But that is gilding the lily and probably overkill when driving commodity level monitors.

Thor

Sokel

Master Contributor
He changed the input signal not the volume dial can be different
WAY different!
(simple loopback,don't make me connect everything again!)

-15db by pot.PNG

-15bd by device's pot (Amir's brand new 2 weeks test)

-15db by input.PNG

-15db by input level (Amir's old test)

Edit:measurement without glitch

Last edited:

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you have internal gain switching in the DAC depending on the dial position or not this will make the difference or how the DACs volume control works. Chip depends.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
If you have internal gain switching in the DAC depending on the dial position or not this will make the difference
In the first measurement I just used E-MU's (crappy) headphone's output pot.
In the second,pot is full on and just dialed down analyzers input level.Have a look at the difference in THD,almost 15db!

(see the second one I changed,it has a glitch before)

(No volume control on that chip,it's 15 yo AKM4396)

Edit:When I find time I'll do the same for Khadas who has VC like the new DACs,stay tuned.

Last edited:

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow that’s the reason I talked seeing the full chain well performing components coupled together can be not so nice because the standardization here is not well established. Anyhow let us go back to the thead here the DAC with or without preamp function and how to measure.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Wow that’s the reason I talked seeing the full chain well performing components coupled together can be not so nice because the standardization here is not well established. Anyhow let us go back to the thead here the DAC with or without preamp function and how to measure.
Yep,I wish everyone would get a cheap ADC and measure his chain,it's useful and it's fun!
That's one of my configurations from side to side,right at the output of my elecronic xover,including everything in the chain except amps and speakers,I can even see the slopes of my rig.

index.php

(right,back to thread now!)

Top Bottom