• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great recordings of classical music

Ibofobi

Mozart: Great Mass in C minor - 1959 - Ferenc Fricsay, Chor der St. Hedwigs-Kathedrale, Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin (Deutsche Grammophon)

Maria Stader
Hertha Töpper
Ernst Haefliger
Ivan Sardi

Performance in this recording I think is outstanding. Soprano Maria Stader sings beautifully accompanied by powerful choir and orchestra.

Sound quality is pretty good for the time of the recording.

The complete recording is available in this clip:

Byrdsmaniac

I think Scheherazade fanatics should try to hear Stokowski's LSO recording, whacky Phase 4 sonics and all. Just avoid Decca's botched early "ADRM" remastering. Outside of a big and out-of-print "Stokowski Complete Decca Recordings" box, the Cala Records remaster was much better than that ADRM CD:

I found a sealed copy on LP a few years ago. I've enjoyed it a lot. It only cost a dollar.

Elkerton

That's a great set, long out of print, but I think all of this is available for streaming or download. However, I wouldn't place the Das Lied above classic recordings like Ludwig/Wunderlich/Klemperer, Baker/King/Haitink or Miller/Haefliger/Walter.
I have all of these recordings, and more, and still contend the Sanderling as one of the best, though when I want to wallow in the sound, I play a version I ripped from my collection which has Ben Heppner from the Bernini recording singing the heldentenor songs and Janet Baker from the Haitink recording singing the contralto. Still, I wouldn't be without any of them.

Elkerton

1676835273412.jpeg

This interpretation is Very satisfactory and, of the 170 or so multichannel recordings I have, perhaps has the best recorded quality of sound. It is easy to believe you are sitting in the best seat in the house of a live concert. I'll listen to it in stereo to hear if it's as believable and report back if it isn't.

Daverz

Major Contributor
If you like classical (you are reading this thread) and you pay attention to @Floyd Toole 's book (you are reading this forum), then the inexorable conclusion is that multichannel is worthy of your consideration sorry this is just logic I don't make the rules

Nagging us about multi-channel is Kal's job. ;)

I've certainly considered it. But LMS does not support multi-channel, so I'd lose all the time I put into getting LMS working just the way I like it. Then there's the issue of finding space for the extra speakers, and then the considerable expense of the extra speakers and electronics. An AVR would be the most cost-effective way to go, but then I'd lose the investment in my room correction setup. And I have very little multi-channel content, though if stereo to multi-channel processing works well it might be interesting if it creates a more immersive experience.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Nagging us about multi-channel is Kal's job. ;)
Well, nice try. :);)

I don't want to clutter up my living space with speakers. I'm more the tidy type. In the seventies, I still went with quadraphonic, (open reel tape and vinyl records) but that was it. I always have to look where I can get the music I like in terms of content. Almost everything is in stereo. If I want to hear something as precisely as possible, I listen in the near field with my studio monitors. Or I'll go straight to a live concert.

Last edited:

Elkerton

Hahaha I'm in good company then.
What is interesting to me about the multichannel experience is that it is so subtle when you first start listening that way, but the more you listen the more indispensable it seems, given the choice.
I began with a cheap used Denon AVR, and sold my Threshold 400A (I've kept another slave and 2 preamps).

Last edited:

mSpot

The album is noteworthy because the composer Arvo Pärt was involved during the recording sessions.

Pärt's best known work is Fratres, which is performed in a variety of arrangements. My favorite is the violin and piano version with Gidon Kremer and Keith Jarrett.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no need to complicate things! Nice!
Yep. I think with his tintinnabuli style Arvo Pärt perfected the application of the KISS principle in composing music.

Martini

Forum Donor
:eek: I can't see any equivalence here. Currentzis beats the symphony into a pulp and the recording has squashed dynamics.:facepalm:
I highly recommend Mark Gorenstein's Farwell - Tchiakovsky Sym. No. 6 on Pope Music, if you can find a copy. It's a good performance, well recorded and dynamic; the finally leaves you almost breathing your last. The partnering Da Remini - Fantasy is also a fun piece.

Farewell_1024x72 copy.jpg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The album is noteworthy because the composer Arvo Pärt was involved during the recording sessions.
... found at Deezer HiFi

The first time I heard Arvo Pärt, I was exited and found it absolutely sensational. Today, the enthusiasm has waned somewhat and returned to normal. What was annoying was that I bought a Pärt record as an expensive audiophile pressing and of all things it has a poor pressing quality and distortions.

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
I just finished listening to Bernstein's - Mahler No. 6 :)

iu

A devastating performance.

My great recording of the day:

81fEhiggUUL._SS500_.jpg

Jack Gallagher's Symphony No. 2 is my favorite work of the 21st Century so far. The music is tonal and accessible, but substantial and holds up well to many repeated listens.

LGD_

Jack Gallagher's Symphony No. 2 is my favorite work of the 21st Century so far. The music is tonal and accessible, but substantial and holds up well to many repeated listens.

I like this!
Very interesting and listenable, and the Naxos HR recording is very good.
Thank you for posting, I have found a new composer to follow.

Ibofobi

Mozart: Symphonies 38-41 - 2007 - Charles Mackerras, Scottish Chamber Orchestra (Linn Records)

Performance is very good.

Sound quality is also very good.

I like this recording as I think it is rather good over all.

Listen to Symphony No. 41 in C Major, K. 551 'Jupiter': IV. Molto allegro, from this recording, here:

Leporello

My favourite.
Mozart: Symphonies 38-41 - 2007 - Charles Mackerras, Scottish Chamber Orchestra (Linn Records)

Performance is very good.

Sound quality is also very good.

I like this recording as I think it is rather good over all.

Listen to Symphony No. 41 in C Major, K. 551 'Jupiter': IV. Molto allegro, from this recording, here:

As someone else has noted the problem with Mackerras is that he observes all the repeats. But the playing is spirited.

Top Bottom