• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why I can't get audio from PS5?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

@Pancreas do you want everything to go through your mk5 so that you can keep it plugged into the speakers?
I suppose you wouldn't like having to unplug the mk5 from your Genelecs and plugging in another source every time you want to use the PS5, right?

I want everything to go through the MK5, so that Atom dac will work for my purposes, what about the sound blaster? it seems more geared towards gaming and people say is the best

staticV3

Master Contributor
I want everything to go through the MK5, so that Atom dac will work for my purposes, what about the sound blaster? it seems more geared towards gaming and people say is the best
After looking into it a bit more, I no longer think an Atom DAC is the right solution here.
Your mk5 already has a great DAC built in, so i would just use that one.

To get digital from the PS5 to the mk5, here are a few options:

PS5->USB->Hifime UT23->Toslink->mk5 Toslink in
PS5->USB->SMSL PO100 Pro->Toslink/Coax->mk5 digital in
PS5->HDMI->AmazonBasics HDMI Extractor (or similar)->Toslink/Coax->mk5 digital in

I would expect the USB signal to be identical to the HDMI signal, but I haven't seen measurements yet.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

After looking into it a bit more, I no longer think an Atom DAC is the right solution here.
Your mk5 already has a great DAC built in, so i would just use that one.

To get digital from the PS5 to the mk5, here are a few options:

PS5->USB->Hifime UT23->Toslink->mk5 Toslink in
PS5->USB->SMSL PO100 Pro->Toslink/Coax->mk5 digital in
PS5->HDMI->AmazonBasics HDMI Extractor (or similar)->Toslink/Coax->mk5 digital in

I would expect the USB signal to be identical to the HDMI signal, but I haven't seen measurements yet.

So my interface has both optical and spdif. I'd rather use optical for PS5. I'm leaving the spdif available for a future guitar amp modeler called Axe Fx and the best way to connect such amp modeler to my interface without doing double conversion and higher latency is via spdif

The SMSL PO100 pro seems like a good option thou is a DAC like Atom?, is it better than Hifime?

Thanks for your help

ultralite-mk5-rear-16-flat.png__1200x1200_q85_subsampling-2.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
The SMSL PO100 pro seems like a good option thou is a DAC like Atom?, is it better than Hifime?
The PO100 is a USB to toslink adapter, also called DDC (digital to digital converter).
The Atom DAC doesn't have digital out, only digital in. So you can't connect it to your mk5's Toslink input.
They're different devices.

Honestly, I'd get either the Amazon extractor or the Hifime UT23. They're both inexpensive and bit-perfect ways to get rid of that PC monitor DAC.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Ps5 supports UAC 1 usb audio out. I would just use that.

Top Bottom